Options

2 years austerity vs 40 years EU freedom

crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
Forum Member
✭✭✭
2 years of austerity along with a 1 year recession for sovereignty and the ability to go alone seems a cheap price to pay in the long run.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/25/ifs-brexit-extend-austerity-budget-deficit-eu-referendum

Comments

• Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    2 years of austerity along with a 1 year recession for sovereignty and the ability to go alone seems a cheap price to pay in the long run.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/25/ifs-brexit-extend-austerity-budget-deficit-eu-referendum

What exactly are you expecting "sovereignty and the ability to go alone" to deliver for you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boooooring. People don't want to go through a recession and experience austerity. They don't want to pay more for their holidays, they do want to go on channel booze cruises and they want to use their phones for free on holiday.

They don't want to pay more for their groceries, they don't want to put jobs at risk and they definitely don't want to risk losing equity in their homes. They also don't want to pay higher mortgages.

That's only a few items which very much seems to be moving voters into the Remain camp.

Sorry but people think about themselves first. It's human nature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    What exactly are you expecting "sovereignty and the ability to go alone" to deliver for you?

Exactly. What will it do for me?
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    whats with the "40 years of EU freedom" ?

are we rejoining in 2056 if we leave ?

i thought the nats in scotland were the ones who had watched too much braveheart ...
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o:o:o:o:o

Aaaargh...who let the Dementors out again

:o:o:o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :o:o:o:o

Aaaargh...who let the Dementors out again

:o:o:o:o

i think you need to swap "ors" for "ed" ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

For my prime minister to control our borders of free movement which is putting Pressure our services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HR Guru wrote: »
    Boooooring. People don't want to go through a recession and experience austerity. They don't want to pay more for their holidays, they do want to go on channel booze cruises and they want to use their phones for free on holiday.

They don't want to pay more for their groceries, they don't want to put jobs at risk and they definitely don't want to risk losing equity in their homes. They also don't want to pay higher mortgages.

That's only a few items which very much seems to be moving voters into the Remain camp.

So why are we having a referendum?
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, another day, another warning.
    Looking at it another way, are they telling us that what we've got now is as good as it's ever going to get ? I would be a lot more enthusiastic about voting to stay if they could come up with some positives about our future in the EU.
    More of the same shite if we stay, but it could be even worse if we leave. That appears to be the message. What a choice !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So why are we having a referendum?

because the tories wanted to win an election ...
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    HR Guru wrote: »

Then they should - and I believe will - think of what the country will be like over run by wave after wave of economic migrants, overwhelming the NHS and driving down wages to slave level. If people care about their children, they will use this once in a lifetime opportunity to get out of the EU.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    At least the OP admits it will be negatively financially if we leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    because the tories wanted to win an election ...

Exactly as people arnt happy with the EU
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    At least the OP admits it will be negatively financially if we leave.

And after the 5 years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly and people arnt happy with the EU

no

some people aren't happy with the EU and that minority defecting from the tories to UKIP in the GE would probably have been enough to alter the result

so the tories offer a referendum that they are confident they will win anyway to appease that minority into voting for them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then they should - and I believe will - think of what the country will be like over run by wave after wave of economic migrants, overwhelming the NHS and driving down wages to slave level. If people care about their children, they will use this once in a lifetime opportunity to get out of the EU.

I've spent a lot of time working in a hospital recently and can tell you who it is that is overwhelming the NHS...old white British people who make up 75% of all the people on the wards right now...and the people who are caring for them/wiping their backsides and working the hardest on unsocial shifts and weekends are some wonderful Italian, Spanish, Finnish & Indonesian young people. And I can tell you for a fact in the last month there has not been a single enquiry about job opportunities from a single young, white British, unemployed person....despite the fact there are vacancies.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What was wrong with this almost identical thread you started a few days ago?

brexit= year long recession,yes please.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2151912

Are you paid by the thread? Do you have a short memory and forgot you started the other thread? Did you lose all the arguments, so decided to leave that thread on page 2 and hope no one returned to it?
  • Options
    AristaeusAristaeus Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member
    For my prime minister to control our borders of free movement which is putting Pressure our services.

And if we vote for Brexit and the government continues to allow free movement of EU citizens into the UK in exchange for access to the European Market (like Norway and Switzerland have to), what will you think then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aristaeus wrote: »
    And if we vote for Brexit and the government continues to allow free movement of EU citizens into the UK in exchange for access to the European Market (like Norway and Switzerland have to), what will you think then?

:D:D:D
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    Aristaeus wrote: »

That question never gets answered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But Freedom of Movement is extremely unlikely to go anywhere. The current government as well as the majority of parliament who would have to vote on any agreement with the EU is in favour of us being in the EU. The top solutions following Brexit are becoming/staying an EEA member (freedom of movement continues), become part of EFTA (freedom of movement continues) or do a Swiss deal (freedom of movement continues).

Further to that, our borders are already controlled by us... an EU citizen only has the right to live in the UK while exercising Treaty Rights. These are defined as working, being retired, being a student or being self sufficient (the latter two even require private health insurance as they're blocked from using the NHS).

So now tell me please how an out vote would change any of the current situation? It won't unless someone Farage magically manages to become PM and unites a clear majority of parliament behind him to vote for a WTO set up.
  • Options
    hufflestuffhufflestuff Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've spent a lot of time working in a hospital recently and can tell you who it is that is overwhelming the NHS...old white British people who make up 75% of all the people on the wards right now...and the people who are caring for them/wiping their backsides and working the hardest on unsocial shifts and weekends are some wonderful Italian, Spanish, Finnish & Indonesian young people. And I can tell you for a fact in the last month there has not been a single enquiry about job opportunities from a single young, white British, unemployed person....despite the fact there are vacancies.

You have visibility of all the NHS job applicants in the country?
  • Options
    hufflestuffhufflestuff Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was wrong with this almost identical thread you started a few days ago?

brexit= year long recession,yes please.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2151912

Are you paid by the thread? Do you have a short memory and forgot you started the other thread? Did you lose all the arguments, so decided to leave that thread on page 2 and hope no one returned to it?

Do you say this to all the prolific EU thread starters or just those you don't agree with?
  • Options
    roth30roth30 Posts: 3,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So really no change if we leave as we will still have austerity if we stay and looks like another recession is looking also.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being in the EU hasn't prevented us from recession nor austerity thus far, has it???

And in any case the majority of voters voted for more austerity at the last general election.