SCD Week 4 Show 11/10/08 5:50pm - Discussion Thread

Comments

• claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    Then the same applies to Lisa, who's also being criticised for posing and walking. It's can't be that it's ok for Cherie to do that, but not for anyone else!

It's how you do it that's important - Lisa was unsteady on her feet a couple of times and was penalised for it.
    If it's just about elegance, composure and control, it needn't be a dance.

It's not 'just' about that at all. Those are the things you need to dance a good rumba.

A lot of what you're criticising here is not how Cherie danced the rumba but the rumba itself.
  • Yasmin26Yasmin26 Posts: 3,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She does a lot of posing, her walking is nothing to write home about, and she's even dragged at one point (horrible cliché). From the moment she puts the first false (acted) expression on her face at the start, it seems to be more posing and acting than dancing.

It will be interesting to see what happens if she ever has to do a fast-paced dance with intricate steps.

Veri are you for real. I believe the rumba is all about posing and acting the emotions, which Cherie did brilliantly. You can't Criticize Cherie for posing when Lisa stood and walked through her dance. The audience and the celebrities reaction to Cherie and James dance said it all. It was just breathtaking. Lisa and Brendan were very lucky due to the the judges over marking them. Forget comparing Lisa to cherie who was in different league even Jodie rumba was better.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yasmin26 wrote: »
    Veri are you for real. I believe the rumba is all about posing and acting the emotions, which Cherie did brilliantly. You can't Criticize Cherie for posing when Lisa stood and walked through her dance. The audience and the celebrities reaction to Cherie and James dance said it all. It was just breathtaking. Lisa and Brendan were very lucky due to the the judges over marking them. Forget comparing Lisa to cherie who was in different league even Jodie rumba was better.

I'm inclined to agree with a lot of this. If you don't like Cherie, Veri, just come out and say it.

Sorry if it wasn't your cup of tea - but please get your facts right if you're going to pick Cherie's dance to pieces. (Indeed, if you don't like the choreography, it should be James who you complain about - he devised the routine Cherie did).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea about the technicalities of the rumba (or any of the other dances for that matter :o) but surely it's better to do a simpler routine and do it well rather than do a complicated one that is not done well. I think James has devised routines that Cherie has been able to master and this is why they are doing well. I can't see any reason for them not to be able to continue this even with the fast-paced dances.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    It's how you do it that's important - Lisa was unsteady on her feet a couple of times and was penalised for it.

It's not 'just' about that at all. Those are the things you need to dance a good rumba.

A lot of what you're criticising here is not how Cherie danced the rumba but the rumba itself.

Because Rumba is the slowest of the Latin dances, it is easy to think that it is the easiest, whereas it is in fact the hardest. But - please, non-dancers, don't take this the wrong way, it's not a put down - it is one of those dances that you really have to understand (technique wise) to appreciate.

(My professional friend took her non-dancing new boyfriend to watch a comp she was dancing in (Latin). Afterwards she asked what her friend had thought of it. 'Looked like a load of puppets with the strings being jerked too hard" was the answer. Dancing friend fumed a little, then thought about it, then laughed).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Because Rumba is the slowest of the Latin dances, it is easy to think that it is the easiest, whereas it is in fact the hardest. But - please, non-dancers, don't take this the wrong way, it's not a put down - it is one of those dances that you really have to understand (technique wise) to appreciate.

(My professional friend took her non-dancing new boyfriend to watch a comp she was dancing in (Latin). Afterwards she asked what her friend had thought of it. 'Looked like a load of puppets with the strings being jerked too hard" was the answer. Dancing friend fumed a little, then thought about it, then laughed).

kaycee it's good to see you. I was just going to send you a massage to find out how you rated the couples. I would love to hear your thoughts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like Cherie's Rumba that much either, I thought the gushing and scores were a bit OTT, it was definitely one of the best dances of the night but I didn't think it was that good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flashgirl wrote: »
    Me too. And I thought Rachel & Vincent were undermarked and Cherie & James overmarked. Looks like Cherie's landed the curse of being judges fave this year. Hope their overmarking doesn't come back to haunt her as I do think she's great.

Last year I always felt that Len was prone to giving Matt D Angelo, 'baby of the group' sympathy marks.

This year I reckon Cherie is the beneficiary of 'old lady' sympathy marks.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Well this "old lady" thought the other "old lady" (Cherie) was great last night. Her and James' rhumba was the best I've ever seen on that show, IMHO. Thought Bruce was on good form too...although he did get Jessie's name wrong again.

Go oldsters! :D
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    There is great chemistry between James and Cherie. I thought they were fantastic. I just loved her dress. Jodie has improved and I thought she was unfairly criticised by the judges as I enjoyed her dance. Can you imagine having to be sexy in front of millions of people and then told you are no good at it!!!! I thought Jodie was going to cry! Jessie looked shattered by the judges comments and I felt sorry for her. She is doing her best!! I wonder why she agreed to do Strictly as she is struggling. Vincent and his partner (can't remember her name, must be my age!!) were lovely. They are a great couple.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Hi, can I just mention at this point - 'NATURAL TALENT' - an instinctive feel for the beat, timing and musicality of your choice of music.

I do believe that Cherie has all those (as do others) but her very natural flow of movement, stretching of limbs, toes, fingers, and general posture smacks of dance training - that's fine, she could have had ballet calsses as a child or whatever, but she definitely HAS GOT IT! and that's what makes her very 'trainable'. Couple that with her acting talent, her fitness, great body and appealling personality and she has so many ticks in all the right boxes.

I think James is genuinely loving working with her which makes for such a great relationship...better then he's ever had SCD in the past and I look forward to many great dances to come.

Hasn't James changed!! He was just dreadful last series and even one of the judges told him he was borderline abusive to his celeb. He appeared to be such a bully I did not like him at all. I am amazed by gentle James!! Does anyone know exactly how much dance experience the female celebs have? I do think it is relevant and if Cherie had ballet training (which I think appears obvious in her routines) that is not really fair to someone like Jessie who obviously was never inside a dance studio before. I think Cherie and James have great chemistry and her dress was fabulous. The best outfit of the night. Poor Jessie is always dressed like a sausage and I am sure the wardrobe dept could find better dresses for her. I am beginning to cringe each time she dances as I feel so bad for her. She looked desperately upset last night and I do not believe it was all acting!!
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hi Kaycee...how come the rhumba is the hardest? If you don't mind me asking. Is it because its slow but you have to do all that hip action too?

(Non-Dancer :o)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sports Fan wrote: »
    Last year I always felt that Len was prone to giving Matt D Angelo, 'baby of the group' sympathy marks.

This year I reckon Cherie is the beneficiary of 'old lady' sympathy marks

What rubbish. You are the one judging Cherie on her age. Her marks were well deserved and there was nothing sympathetic about it. If the judges were being kind to her just for her age, there have been older celebrities than Cherie and I don’t remember any of them being well received. I had enough of this old lady remarks. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member

No offence but I think that's a little patronising.

SCD isn't aimed at dancers, it's a saturday night primetime show, the majority of the audience are non dancers and therefore the dances should entertain them, you don't have to understand the complexity of a dance to appreciate it.

you don't have to be a policeman to watch the bill so you can understand the legal aspects of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What rubbish. You are the one judging Cherie on her age. Her marks were well deserved and there was nothing sympathetic about it. If the judges were being kind to her just for her age, there have been older celebrities than Cherie and I don’t remember any of them being well received. I had enough of this old lady remarks. :(

Nope, my view and I'm entitled to it is that Cherie was overmarked. 'Old lady' sympathy marks as I said.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't James changed!! He was just dreadful last series and even one of the judges told him he was borderline abusive to his celeb. He appeared to be such a bully I did not like him at all. I am amazed by gentle James!! Does anyone know exactly how much dance experience the female celebs have? I do think it is relevant and if Cherie had ballet training (which I think appears obvious in her routines) that is not really fair to someone like Jessie who obviously was never inside a dance studio before. I think Cherie and James have great chemistry and her dress was fabulous. The best outfit of the night. Poor Jessie is always dressed like a sausage and I am sure the wardrobe dept could find better dresses for her. I am beginning to cringe each time she dances as I feel so bad for her. She looked desperately upset last night and I do not believe it was all acting!!
    I must have seen an different series then. :confused::confused: He wasn't being a bully to Gabby Logan at all. He was brilliant with her, I was sad to see them leave at week four.

~edit~ He was a bit of a bad boy in the series before that with Georgina, but I can't really blame him, Georgina was a bit of a lazy c*w and was late at practice a few times. And due to "clever" editing by auntie Beeb they made James looking like a bad a$$.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sports Fan wrote: »
    Nope, my view and I'm entitled to it is that Cherie was overmarked. 'Old lady' sympathy marks as I said.
    :confused::confused::confused:
    I must say that I would give my right arm to look like that 'Old lady' and I'm 41 not 56 like Cherie. And for the sympathy marks,.....ROTLFMAOPIMP. :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I couldn't agree more. They just smack of sour grapes.

The sticklers for technique are Craig and Arlene and they were the ones who spotted how good Cherie and James' rumba was. And they don't give "sympathy votes" to anyone.

The judge who displays blatant favouritism is Len, and he was at it again last night with Rachel. Someone else on here has remarked that he's been saying Cherie is too old to win - well, why don't we all wait and see how things develop?

And, while we're at it, please can we also jettison the nonsense about Cherie having an unfair advantage? EVERY SINGLE ACTOR WHO HAS EVER DONE SCD will have done some sort of physical theatre training. Including Jessie (unless, of course, she isn't professionally trained). Jessie may not have liked that kind of work - which is why she didn't pursue something like Tom did with his tap dancing, and why she is clearly struggling. Cherie does yoga and pilates which obviously keep her fit and supple. Big deal. It doesn't give her an unfair advantage - they form no part of ballroom or latin training.

Rachel and, before her, Emma Bunton will have done way more intensive choreography training than any of the actors in SCD. Do we have endless posts about them having an unfair advantage? Or is this charge just being aimed at one contestant?

And, quite aside from anything else, the BBC will ensure that there are no unfair advantages for any contestants: they've had too many charges of deceiving the public laid at their feet and, in the current political climate, the last thing they're going to do is jeoparidse the credibility of their flagship Saturday night entertainment show.

Rant over - :D - keep dancing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »

The sticklers for technique are Craig and Arlene and they were the ones who spotted how good Cherie and James' rumba was. And they don't give "sympathy votes" to anyone.

The judge who displays blatant favouritism is Len, and he was at it again last night with Rachel. Someone else on here has remarked that he's been saying Cherie is too old to win - well, why don't we all wait and see how things develop?

And, while we're at it, please can we also jettison the nonsense about Cherie having an unfair advantage? EVERY SINGLE ACTOR WHO HAS EVER DONE SCD will have done some sort of physical theatre training. Including Jessie (unless, of course, she isn't professionally trained). Jessie may not have liked that kind of work - which is why she didn't pursue something like Tom did with his tap dancing, and why she is clearly struggling. Cherie does yoga and pilates which obviously keep her fit and supple. Big deal. It doesn't give her an unfair advantage - they form no part of ballroom or latin training.

Rachel and, before her, Emma Bunton will have done way more intensive choreography training than any of the actors in SCD. Do we have endless posts about them having an unfair advantage? Or is this charge just being aimed at one contestant?

And, quite aside from anything else, the BBC will ensure that there are no unfair advantages for any contestants: they've had too many charges of deceiving the public laid at their feet and, in the current political climate, the last thing they're going to do is jeoparidse the credibility of their flagship Saturday night entertainment show.

Well said! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I couldn't have said it better myself! :D
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri are you for real. I believe the rumba is all about posing and acting the emotions, which Cherie did brilliantly. You can't Criticize Cherie for posing when Lisa stood and walked through her dance. ...
    It's the other way around: if Lisa can be criticised for standing and walking, then so can Cherie. Or if, on the other hand, standing, posing and walking are legitimate, or even important, aspects of the rumba, then that's so regardless of who is doing the standing, posing, or walking, and then those criticisms of Lisa are invalid.
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Cherie also showed some (though less) unsteadiness.

But the criticism I was talking about was not that Lisa was unsteady. It was for posing and walking, which Cherie also did and which you said was part of the dance.

If it's ok for Cherie to spend time posing and walking, then it should be ok for others to do it too.
    If they are "the" things you need to dance a good rumba, then it is pretty close to being just about them. (Note that by this point the "things" are "elegance, composure and control", rather than posing, walking, etc.)
    In this part, I am just evaluating what Cherie did in the way people were evaluating what Lisa did. I didn't see anyone defending Lisa by saying posing and walking were part of the rumba.

But in any case, the choreographer has choices. Being dragged, for example, isn't the rumba itself. It's something they can put in, or not, as they choose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There generally are numerous posts about SCD women who've been in pop groups having an unfair advantage.

What's gone around to them, and to celebs who've been to stage schools, is now coming around to Cherie, that's all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There generally are numerous posts about SCD women who've been in pop groups having an unfair advantage.

What's gone around to them, and to celebs who've been to stage schools, is now coming around to Cherie, that's all.

Er - where are the ENTIRE THREADS to them having unfair advantages, then?

I can't seem to find any ... :rolleyes:
  • uptowngirluptowngirl Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BilliY wrote: »
    No offence but I think that's a little patronising.

SCD isn't aimed at dancers, it's a saturday night primetime show, the majority of the audience are non dancers and therefore the dances should entertain them, you don't have to understand the complexity of a dance to appreciate it.

you don't have to be a policeman to watch the bill so you can understand the legal aspects of it.

Well said! It's all about the entertainment for me! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er - where are the ENTIRE THREADS to them having unfair advantages, then?

I can't seem to find any ... :rolleyes:
    There were threads in some cases, "Alesha had dance training before SCD" for example, but it's the number and nature of posts that should matter, not how many happened to be in threads where the first post was about unfair advantage.

Cherie is being criticised for her advantages in the same way that plenty of others have been.