Americans watch Hurling for the first time

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi8MJ2_kAXQ&utm_content=buffer39a3f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"It's like field hockey, except they beat the crap out of each other"

It's the best sport in the world :p

Comments

• The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than American Football (rugby for girls), or Baseball (rounders, Britain's most popular female sport).
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Before it appeared in the Winter Olympics, I used confuse Curling with Hurling.

I think I prefer Curling.
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurling is a great sport, but I can't see it catching on in America. The Brits might be up for it but given that Americans cover themselves in padding to play rugby I can't see them taking to hurling.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better than American Football (rugby for girls), or Baseball (rounders, Britain's most popular female sport).
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Hurling is a great sport, but I can't see it catching on in America. The Brits might be up for it but given that Americans cover themselves in padding to play rugby I can't see them taking to hurling.

I realise comments like these may be tongue-in-cheek, but they still irk me, especially considering the fact NFL players have suffered permanent brain injury during their careers, resulting in recent suicides. It really isn't rugby for little girls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I realise comments like these may be tongue-in-cheek, but they still irk me, especially considering the fact NFL players have suffered permanent brain injury during their careers, resulting in recent suicides. It really isn't rugby for little girls.

Sorry, I didn't realise that. And yes, my comment was tongue in cheek, no offense meant.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member

It's not that different from Lacrosse.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love hurling. Great sport. Of course the going to watch it at a pub with other enthusiasts was half the fun. Can't do that where we live now. There's no Irish ex-pat community to speak of. Still there's internet, but it's not really the same. :-(
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

It's faster.

I remember showing clips of Tipperary halting Kilkenny's 5 in a row attempt to the primary school children in France. They were fascinated by it.

Used to play the female equivalent myself, I ended up with some amount of bruises!
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi8MJ2_kAXQ&utm_content=buffer39a3f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"It's like field hockey, except they beat the crap out of each other"

It's the best sport in the world :p

Not quite as funny as the UK twitter reaction to Armagh and Donegal though.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were probably relieved it wasn't a vomiting competition, isn't that what they call vomiting?
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were probably relieved it wasn't a vomiting competition, isn't that what they call vomiting?

Yep. That's one of ours. Although maybe not as common as it was in the '90s.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "There is an errrm H in the corner"....."it looks like a goal"

Oh brother!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

I just read about Lacrosse on wiki. Its apparently a game invented by the Iroquois native Americans, and early forms of the game involved hundreds of people in games which sometimes lasted for days.

Hurling has prehistoric, Celtic roots, but the earliest recorded examples in Ireland also have the game involving hundreds of people in games which lasted for days. Interesting that two separate peoples on opposite sides of the Atlantic came up with something so similar.

Hurling is better though. :p
  • crazyguyz999crazyguyz999 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Cheryl will leave the next series anyway hopefully taking mel b with her!!!
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is a great game.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

You forgot basketball, or netball as we call it here.

Shinty, anyone? Makes 'Rollerball' look like bingo night at the old folks home.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are actually Gaelic Football and Hurling leagues in the US so it would appear that they are taking to it.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Before it appeared in the Winter Olympics, I used confuse Curling with Hurling.

I think I prefer Curling.

Weird :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very much doubt it is the first time Americans have watched hurling. The hurling final has been shown in America for as long as I remember. Watched mostly by Irish ex pats probably.

The football final was played in New York in 1947. Kerry and Cavan.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    It's faster.

I dunno.. they seem pretty matched in speed.

Here's highlights from university-level lacrosse. Just the first 2 minutes of that video will give you an idea of how fast the game moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28Hho5BMd8
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought hurling was something you do if you can't handle your alcohol.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,564
    Forum Member
    That is a tough sport, sort of like shinty in Scotland which is one sure way to get your knuckles smashed to pieces if you are not careful.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurling is Awesome , saw my first live game a few years ago when I went over to Ireland to visit relatives been a fan ever since :D

Up The Mayo :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    That is a tough sport, sort of like shinty in Scotland which is one sure way to get your knuckles smashed to pieces if you are not careful.

I saw my one and only game of shinty on a Glorious day in 2012. It was Newtonmore v Kingussie. Great game.

Kingussie won something like 20 championships in a row in recent times.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I realise comments like these may be tongue-in-cheek, but they still irk me, especially considering the fact NFL players have suffered permanent brain injury during their careers, resulting in recent suicides.

Most NFL players end up with brain injury, it's just a matter of severity. It really is a high impact sport. It's debatable whether all the armor even helps or if it does more harm than good. They feel invincible, so they just hit that much harder than they would in rugby. But they're not invincible. F=(1/2)mv^2 is the same whether you've got a helmet on or not, and when m is 300lbs and v is 20mph, that's a lot.