Why do so many people hate Hollyoaks?

rossm2003rossm2003 Posts: 511
Forum Member
✭✭
OK, so the storylines might be a bit unrealistic/surreal/weird etc but thats what makes the show GREAT.

It doesnt take itself too seriously, and when it does, it adds a dash of tounge in cheek humour.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not the storylines I object to - its the appalling acting abilities of some of the cast.

Far too much attention is paid to looks and image, as opposed to acting abilities.

It really says something when people on this forum talk about how the little guy who plays Tom is the best actor out of the lot of them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,309
    Forum Member
    It really says something when people on this forum talk about how the little guy who plays Tom is the best actor out of the lot of them!

He really is! The acting is terrible most of the time, but the recent storyline with Bombhead was well worth wading through all the rubbish ones for.
  • Twinkle ToesTwinkle Toes Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I hate Hollyoaks?? Hmm lets see?

The acting is shite, the storylines are completley stupid and not in a good way like Sunset Beach etc. Its full of, dull, vacant and completley talentless "actors" who were hired for looks rather than acting ability.

Plus its aimed at 12 year olds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not the storylines I object to - its the appalling acting abilities of some of the cast.

Far too much attention is paid to looks and image, as opposed to acting abilities.

Saying the guy who plays Tom is the best actor is not saying anything baout the other actors abilities, it's saying just how good the little guy is. Put him in any show and you'd be hard pushed not to think he is one of the best in it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks is a student staple I have found! Is great fun and is on just when I have my tea so is perfect! Agree that it doesnt take itself too seriously which is quite refreshing, I also find it quite funny for some reason!
  • ConnexionsConnexions Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch and sometimes enjoy. It's a fun programme that fills half an hour, some plotlines are just plain cringeworthy others are pretty average but they do throw in the odd good plot that I enjoy although it's usually nothing serious (comedy).
    None of the cast are stars though and were hired for their looks.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And your not allowed on the show if your not blonde or good looking.
    Actually thats a good reason. Loads of fit girls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    jenanne wrote:
    Hollyoaks is a student staple I have found! Is great fun and is on just when I have my tea so is perfect! Agree that it doesnt take itself too seriously which is quite refreshing, I also find it quite funny for some reason!

People seem to forget that this wasn’t always the case and even as far back as three years ago, Hollyoak’s was better acted, the storylines were actually good and the comedy was much better.

Hollyoaks is a Farce; glad I don’t watch it anymore!!!
  • ShowbizGosQueenShowbizGosQueen Posts: 7,469
    Forum Member
    When I say to people I'm from Chester, the first thing they tend to say now is 'Ooooo Hollyoaks' - what an insult!

And, funny enough, I speak with a Northern accent - not a bloody Southern one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Why do so many people like Hollyoaks?
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I hate Hollyoaks?? Hmm lets see?

The acting is shite, the storylines are completley stupid and not in a good way like Sunset Beach etc. Its full of, dull, vacant and completley talentless "actors" who were hired for looks rather than acting ability.

Plus its aimed at 12 year olds.

not 12, 13 it's a teen show

Anyway, I don't hate Hollyoaks they just fill it with useless storylines with all these young good looking models with no acting experience at all. Not all the acting is bad, Bombhead, Lee, Sally, Ben, Frankie, Justin, Becca, Tom and Lisa are all very good actors, they're not the best but they do stand out.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen it so I am proud to say that I do not hate it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    kyri wrote:
    And your not allowed on the show if your not blonde or good looking.
    Actually thats a good reason. Loads of fit girls.

So how on earth is Zara still in it?! :p

My husband asked me that question last night LOL!

I love watching Hollyoaks and I'm 27, married with a baby. It's fun to watch, they tackle some hard issues but counter that with good comedy moments - something that Eastenders could do with (and something that Corrie already does - which is why I'm watching more Corrie than Enders these days :D )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Zara (Kelly Greenwood) is the exception that proves the rule, in the way that Chloe did. Zara is actually very pretty, but in a real world way, and I hope this isn't the beginning and end of her acting career.

Saying that, even the strange looking ones suddenly get better looking, Bombhead for example.

Hollyoaks reached a high level of quality way back with Luccy hooked on drugs, pyscho Rob scaring everyone to death, and Carole (the fab Natalie Casey) livening things up. It's been downhill ever since though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i totally agree....the build up to when the bus exploded was just fantastic.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks isnt a patch on what it was from 1998-2002 IMHO. Family Affairs is much better now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I used to love Hollyoaks but no longer watch the show. I miss the days of Ruth, Kurt, Jambo, Rob, Lucy. It was when the show was at it's best. Nowadays, the plots are drawn out for so long, you forget that it was interesting 12 months or so ago, when it first started. The majority of characters all look like supermodels. There is hardly any realism in the show - the exception being Bombhead and coping with the death of his Mum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do so many people hate Hollyoaks...hmm let's see...because it sucks maybe!
  • DazsinDazsin Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it is absolutely ABYSMAL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It truly is the pits and should now have a CITV slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My flatmates like it - they prefer over Corrie because there are "too many old people in Corrie" :rolleyes: . I truly think they need therapy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh there really is no competition there BCJ lol. Hollyoaks Vs Corrie now let me see lol...Corrie definately! Hollyoaks is just a filler thing for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Connexions wrote:
    Oh there really is no competition there BCJ lol. Hollyoaks Vs Corrie now let me see lol...Corrie definately! Hollyoaks is just a filler thing for me.
    I barely watch it as a filler. I think my TV screen is more interesting blank than displaying Hollyoaks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree with them ever so slightly about there being too many oldies in the Street though but I don't mind them that much afterall they climb trees and stuff so it's all good :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Connexions wrote:
    I do agree with them ever so slightly about there being too many oldies in the Street though but I don't mind them that much afterall they climb trees and stuff so it's all good :D
    The old cast members are the ones who have made Corrie what it is and in most cases, their characters are ten times that of the young ones. Therefore, I think it is unfounded to complain about the older cast members of Corrie.