Options

iPad, is it worth it?

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Reasonable, but nowhere near the spec/performance of the cheaper HP/Compaq.
    A great price and no doubt being phased out.Less battery life no doubt and a slower CPU.
    The HP Compaq graphics will maybe be 6 times the speed of the one on the Ipad. So speed is not always everything.

Interestingly Acer announced its 7" and 10" Android tablets and will 'partner with mobile companies'.

I guess they are using the same tactic as Dell who's Streak is a whopping £400 via partnering. A worrying tactic here is to bypass normal marketing for the hyped price mobile phone avenue.

If only the £65 7" Android Eken could get an A8 CPU instead of the old slower Arm 9! However Opera mini 5.1 is now out for Android so even that has attractions.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    A great price and no doubt being phased out.Less battery life no doubt and a slower CPU.
    The HP Compaq graphics will maybe be 6 times the speed of the one on the Ipad. So speed is not always everything.

Interestingly Acer announced its 7" and 10" Android tablets and will 'partner with mobile companies'.

I guess they are using the same tactic as Dell who's Streak is a whopping £400 via partnering. A worrying tactic here is to bypass normal marketing for the hyped price mobile phone avenue.

If only the £65 7" Android Eken could get an A8 CPU instead of the old slower Arm 9! However Opera mini 5.1 is now out for Android so even that has attractions.

Slightly less battery life on the Compaq, but then it does have a considerably higher resolution screen, and a GPU thats actually useful. The speed difference between a 1.6gig N270 and a 1.66gig N450 is marginal, and could well be made up by the faster memory.

Comparing the speed of the PowerVR against the NVidia chipsets is incredibly difficult, and they're completely different devices from the hardware perspective.

The Android and Meego tablets are interesting prospects. The demos of Meego being especially interesting - a beautifully designed and fluid interface. The reality may well be very different though.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One advantage I like about of the ipad over a netbook is that the software and games you use on it are specifically designed for it. You don't have to worry about how fast a program runs or guess what the graphics will look like they way you have to on a netbook. A lot of the latest PC stuff is shown and reviewed on high end all bells and whistles PCs. I suppose that's always been the argument of consoles Vs PCs!
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    One advantage I like about of the ipad over a netbook is that the software and games you use on it are specifically designed for it. You don't have to worry about how fast a program runs or guess what the graphics will look like they way you have to on a netbook. A lot of the latest PC stuff is shown and reviewed on high end all bells and whistles PCs. I suppose that's always been the argument of consoles Vs PCs!

Very true. At least with Apple you have annual product announcements. With consoles its what, every 5+ years? Although it can sometimes take that long for console developers to truly get a hang of the hardware they're working with.

Its one reason why I'm trying previous generation games - they can still look good, but what was bleeding edge hardware 3 years back is relatively affordable now.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although it's a closed system. Software for the iPad is also fairly cheap. Just pocket money in many cases.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'm convinced that Facetime and a forward facing camera were meant to be part of the iPad 1 package. In fact, more than a part - one of the primary reasons to purchase.

I think the reason they're weren't included is because they weren't ready, but Apple wasn't prepared to delay introducing the iPad - any delay would have meant a bigger hurdle to climb in the key online publishing market (the gravy train the iPad is meant to ride on).

So, for me, the iPad is less that it could have been. It'll get there, but it's not there now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to agree that they wanted to beat all the expected dual core ARM technology machines like the Adam so a heck of a lot went by the wayside.

If Tegra 2 was here now the iPad would only sell to the faithful.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to agree that they wanted to beat all the expected dual core ARM technology machines like the Adam so a heck of a lot went by the wayside.

If Tegra 2 was here now the iPad would only sell to the faithful.

If Tegra 2 was released before the iPad it would sell pathetically.

It's just the same as every other tablet but newer - Apple came along and completely changed the market and brought it to the forefront.

Tegra 2 is not a thread to iPad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Archos 5 released 18 months before could have completely changed the market.
    But for the fact that only Apple gets jesus publicity.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Archos 5 released 18 months before could have completely changed the market.

Archos' have been around for ages. . . they sell well on QVC.

iPad just works easily and fits into the iPod culture. People know how easy it is to sync music and Apps now. This has been building and building in momentum for the past several years (really escalating from 2003/2004 after the original iPod in 2001).

Apple have been gradually building up their entire portfolio of products with iPad in mind. That is why iPad has succeeded. It's part of the Halo affect, marketing, ease of use, features, battery. It's not just a standard tablet like everything before it. It's a device marketed at doing specific tasks - and perfecting those tasks. It's different from everything else.
  • Options
    davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPad has been simply brilliant.

Currently typing this on it whilst sitting in a (converted) barn, in the middle of a field, in the middle of no-where in deepest Yorkshire. 3 MiFi giving 2.2mbps :) No O2 reception.

It has been fantastic as a holiday tool - checking weather, castle/house websites for prices and opening times, NT app, google maps, Internet radio, TV for the 2 year old and movies (connected to the TV) for the evenings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundburst wrote: »
    iPad just works easily and fits into the iPod culture. People know how easy it is to sync music and Apps now.
    Too thick to do anything for themselves like 'copy and paste'?

I guess maybe I'm getting too technical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too thick to do anything for themselves like 'copy and paste'?

I guess maybe I'm getting too technical.
    We've now gone on to Windows Phone? Talk about tangents...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is trying to say there's nothing difficult or wrong with drag & drop of tracks from one device to another. Though obviously the hundreds of millions of people using smart play listing and syncing between their computers and iPods are just over-complicating it for themselves - the fools!
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't forget the Internet Tablets from Nokia that have been around for years, and only in the N900 got a phone built in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Copy and Paste is common across almost all devices.

Sticking to any software supplied helps maintain a users technology illiteracy.
    It also become problematic when many very very minor problems are simply solved by copy and paste.
    It might seem strange to some but many people do not know about or how to use a file browser.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john_locke wrote: »
    I think he is trying to say there's nothing difficult or wrong with drag & drop of tracks from one device to another.

Ahh penny dropped, drag and drop of media to and from the device - I thought we were talking cutting/copy/paste of text etc.

As we are all aware, iTunes/iOS are a closed system, one of the many reasons Apple is loathed by some. You can drag and drop from within iTunes all you like, just not directly from the OS (with the exception of photos from the DCIM folder). There are some third party alternatives to iTunes but unfortunately it doesn't work with all Apple devices, especially the more modern ones. TBH if I was just using the device for music/video etc that might be attractive using the OS or third party software to manage it, but as most of my stuff is apps it's far easier to stick to itunes so that app updates etc. happen seamlessly. But each to their own...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest do iPad users connect their power lead much of the time?
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest do iPad users connect their power lead much of the time?

I leave mine charging overnight and the power lasts all day.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't like your iPad as an iPad, this case turns it into a 'laptop'. :D

http://clamcase.com/
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm astounded at how fast these products are appearing now. Its clear they sense there's a quick buck to be made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the MK 2 will certainly have at least 512MB of RAM.

It seems quite embarrassing that it is lower powered than even the iPhone.
    The quick buck was in beating Tegra 2 to the market.
    In fact there was no hurry in that the dual core Tegra has severe in-womb problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the MK 2 will certainly have at least 512MB of RAM.

It seems quite embarrassing that it is lower powered than even the iPhone.
    The quick buck was in beating Tegra 2 to the market.
    In fact there was no hurry in that the dual core Tegra has severe in-womb problems.

I don't really understand most of the terminology unfortunately, but if you can get to an apple store I would highly recommend spending some time playing around with both the iPad and new iPhone. Maybe it's not the gadget for you, but with regards to memory and processor my desktop has a seemingly better spec in both but still takes much longer to load up and to open applications, which for me with the patience of a gnat makes it far superior.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And in the same vein the Daily Star being digestible in less than 5 minutes is far superior to The Times.

Much Apple technology has clincher arguments that often pertain above a long list of severe limitations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And in the same vein the Daily Star being digestible in less than 5 minutes is far superior to The Times.

Much Apple technology has clincher arguments that often pertain above a long list of severe limitations.

Hmmm, not sure about that analogy, but I see your point though most people just want a device that does the few things it does really well, and on that score the iPad is great. Who cares that it can't multitask when stopping one program and starting another takes seconds, the iPod runs while you use many functions anyway, a camera? Really? That's like wanting a camera on a laptop it's too big!!! flash? I have had mine 2 weeks now and haven't even noticed it was missing. A built in webcam I can seriously do without but I may be in the minority there.

I am very curious to know how many detractors have actually used an iPad.