Options

Cooking Chorizo

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Cooking Chorizo is raw and requires cooking. It's different to the cured pepperoni type.

I bought a pack of four of these yesterday and only used half of one for a recipe (a very nice rice, pea and chorizo fricassee with a corn fed chicken breast)

Any ideas of recipes that I can use the others in?

Comments

• Options
    dj1471dj1471 Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite Chorizo recipes is Fried Chickpeas With Chorizo and Spinach, but I'm also a big fan of a Chicken & Chorizo risotto.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a quick meal to make - we all like it.

Chorizo, Pepper and Potato One-Pot

700gm new potatoes halved ( skin on if you like )
    225gm chorizo sausage sliced into very thin discs
    1 yellow pepper deseeded and sliced
    1 350gm jar of tomato and chili sauce ( Lloyd Grosmann's perfect )
    1 bag spinach leaves
    small pot soured cream

Put potatoes in a pan and boil for 10 mins, then drain and set aside. Meanwhile, heat a large saute/frying pan until hot, cook the chorizo and yellow pepper for about 3 mins until going nicely brown. You won't need to add any oil as the sausage releases a lot of it's own. Then stir the jar of sauce through, and then stir in the potatoes and simmer for 5 mins. Drop the spinach leaves in and stir gently through it all just to coat and wilt them. Serve with dollops of the soured cream on it. Takes about 25 mins and will feed 4 people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spinach seems like a popular combination.

The recipe I made the other day had spinach in it also but I didn't use it.

It obviously has Spanish conotations and that soup has hints of Spain. Saying that the chickpea dish has hints of Tapas.

I may do them both as small servings :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paella. Mmmm

Chorizo and fried cubed potatoes. Chorizo and prawns. Chorizo on its own. Chorizo and chicken mmm.

Chorizo is the nicest ever and as a veggie I missed it when I started out
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a quick meal to make - we all like it.

Chorizo, Pepper and Potato One-Pot

700gm new potatoes halved ( skin on if you like )
    225gm chorizo sausage sliced into very thin discs
    1 yellow pepper deseeded and sliced
    1 350gm jar of tomato and chili sauce ( Lloyd Grosmann's perfect )
    1 bag spinach leaves
    small pot soured cream

Put potatoes in a pan and boil for 10 mins, then drain and set aside. Meanwhile, heat a large saute/frying pan until hot, cook the chorizo and yellow pepper for about 3 mins until going nicely brown. You won't need to add any oil as the sausage releases a lot of it's own. Then stir the jar of sauce through, and then stir in the potatoes and simmer for 5 mins. Drop the spinach leaves in and stir gently through it all just to coat and wilt them. Serve with dollops of the soured cream on it. Takes about 25 mins and will feed 4 people.

That's almost identical to a recipe I do. I don't use a jar though, I make up a tomato and chilli sauce and add some smoked Spanish paprika. I do love the combination of peppers, chorizo and spuds though and might try yours as I really like the Grossman sauces.
  • Options
    AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wanna try chorizo but I hate processed meat. But it sound and looks so nice.

What cut of meat is it made from? Is it offall?

Thanks.
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Cooking Chorizo is raw and requires cooking. It's different to the cured pepperoni type.

Err ive eatten loads that I haven't cooked. In fact when in Madrid everyone was tucking in striaght off the market stall.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a recent convert to Chorizo and fried cubed potatoes - mmm!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dids858 wrote: »
    Err ive eatten loads that I haven't cooked. In fact when in Madrid everyone was tucking in striaght off the market stall.

Stupid tourists. They're probably all bloody dead.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wanna try chorizo but I hate processed meat. But it sound and looks so nice.

Thanks.

It is just pork, no different from any other kind of sausage, but very highly flavoured with paprika and other spices which gives it the deep red colour.

As for recipes, it makes an excellent base for many dishes. Skin the sausage, chop up the meat, and render it down to get all the fat out. Then, skim out the meat, and use the rich oil as the basis for pasta sauce, stews and mexican dishes - put the meat back in towards the end.

There are other kinds of chorizo which are pre-cured, and can be eaten like salami or any other kind of charcuterie.

Someone had a recipe here recently for chorizo in red wine, which was just chopped up chorizo cooked in the oven in a heavy casserole and glazed with wine at the end, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member

These are the raw sausages that require cooking. They are not the cured salami/pepperoni type.
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Deli_Meat/Tesco_Ingredients_Cooking_Chorizo_Sausages_250g.html
    ("Needs to be cooked" - stated on packaging)
    Chorizo can be a fresh sausage, in which case it must be cooked before eating
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorizo

If you have a strong constitution then I guess you could eat it raw. I think I have a pretty robust stomach but i'll stick to cooking it thanks.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's because it was already cooked. Degsy is simply saying you can buy both, already cooked or cured, or raw, ready for cooking.
  • Options
    anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Oxtail with Rioja and chorizo

It's a two day cooking process, but totally worth the effort involved :)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Thanks.

Chorizo is a quality pork sausage coloured with paprika. Garlic and spices are often added.

Lomo and Salchichón are also very tasty.
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going by the latter of this rather than the tesco bangers with a bit of Paprika bunged in.

Chorizo In Europe it is more frequently a fermented cured smoked sausage
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We always have chorizo in this house as its my (almost) 4yr old sons favourite food, he wouldn't eat for almost 18months and when he finally decided to eat again this became his favourite!!

We love chorizo risottos.

We add chopped chorizo and tomato towards the end of the risotto cooking time.