Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    By far the worst deal surely Netflix has a larger profile in the TV market?

By far??? Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

No doubt this will raise Amazons profile in the UK. Amazon also have deeper pockets.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    Jeremy Clarkson said “I feel like I've climbed out of a bi-plane and into a spaceship.”

Abducted by aliens and taken to a remote planet never to be seen again?
  • Options
    Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    People underestimate Clarkson's fanbase. No one really cared for the Top Gear branded as they cared for Clarkson and his chemistry with the little bears under the stewardship of Andy Wilman. This new venture is going to be huge.
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that's a shame. I was hoping they'd go with ITV - so I would be able to see it for 'free'. I don't like watching telly on a computer and I'm not forking out eighty quid for Amazon Prime.

I don't suppose there's any chance Dave will buy up the repeats? Or will Dave have to take the Chris Evans version of Top Gear?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Well, that's a shame. I was hoping they'd go with ITV - so I would be able to see it for 'free'. I don't like watching telly on a computer and I'm not forking out eighty quid for Amazon Prime.

Smart TVs including the Amazon Prime App - so you are not required to watch on a computer. Frankly since starting my Amazon Prime subscription I've not bought any movie on a silver disc - just through Amazon (and often before the silver disc is out) - quality is fairly good as well. Of course now with Amazon music streaming it is an even better deal, and free next day delivery - although the delivery company cannot deliver to my office in an NHS Trust without mucking it up.
    I don't suppose there's any chance Dave will buy up the repeats? Or will Dave have to take the Chris Evans version of Top Gear?

They could do it is not unheard of for series to appear on Amazon and then a free to air channel.
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are not allowed to go to ITV or another commercial channel for 2 years. There was a clause in their BBC contract saying this, but they were allowed to go to a streaming video service.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not allowed to go to ITV or another commercial channel for 2 years. There was a clause in their BBC contract saying this, but they were allowed to go to a streaming video service.

If the bbc were on the ball they'd have stipulated a clause that they couldn't go anywhere for two years p, this seems like an oversight on their part
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Does the phrase "Restraint of trade" mean anything to you?
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smart TVs including the Amazon Prime App - so you are not required to watch on a computer. Frankly since starting my Amazon Prime subscription I've not bought any movie on a silver disc - just through Amazon (and often before the silver disc is out) - quality is fairly good as well. Of course now with Amazon music streaming it is an even better deal, and free next day delivery - although the delivery company cannot deliver to my office in an NHS Trust without mucking it up.

It would surely have an impact on my monthly download limit? And then there's the eighty quid a year to pay for it all. I enjoy Top Gear - but not enough to fork out a load of extra money for it.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would surely have an impact on my monthly download limit? And then there's the eighty quid a year to pay for it all. I enjoy Top Gear - but not enough to fork out a load of extra money for it.

I was very sniffy about Amazon prime and Netflix but I did the free trials and kept them and binned off sky for now TV .prime has some great TV on from black sails and outlander to Halt and catch fire, and loads of films , in fact it's pretty good value if you add in the free delivery the music streaming .you get a lot more from it than you may think.But we do have unlimited broadband
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I'll deduct it from my TV licence payments!
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd that the old repeats with Clarkson on Dave will get more viewing figures than what Amazon will likely get.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    If the bbc were on the ball they'd have stipulated a clause that they couldn't go anywhere for two years p, this seems like an oversight on their part

Probably too restrictive, and would be challenged in the courts under restraint of trade, meaning that they would be unenforceable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jodie Kidd has said she will not be joining the new Top Gear line-up alongside Chris Evans, after reports that she was a strong contender for the role.

The former model and motoring enthusiast admitted she had been involved in talks to become part of the revamped show, following the departure of hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May.

She was seen having lunch with Zoe Ball and Evans two weeks ago, sparking a frenzy of speculation that one or both of the women could join as co-hosts.

But Kidd has since told The Telegraph that presenting the show would be "all-consuming" and "take over her soul".
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jodie-kidd-turns-down-top-gear-presenting-role-alongside-chris-evans-but-suggests-zoe-ball-could-still-join-bbc-show-10466899.html
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I'd take anybody saying that the are not going to be a new presenter on Top Gear with a pinch of salt.
    Even though she has admitted tohaving talks, and then pulling away from the idea?

I thinks that looks more like a considered rejection after being made aware of the required commitment
  • Options
    Mass CoronaMass Corona Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Probably too restrictive, and would be challenged in the courts under restraint of trade, meaning that they would be unenforceable

Also a contract is a two way thing and if the party drawing up the contract puts too many restrictions in it, then the other party won't sign it and ask for a rewrite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like Top Gear could be delayed according to The Mirror:
    Dozy BBC bosses missed a chance to sign Chris Evans on an exclusive deal – delaying Top Gear’s launch.

Insiders said the Beeb was due to offer Evans a golden handcuffs contract worth millions but dragged their feet, allowing Channel 4 to get him to host TFI Friday.

A source said: “The BBC never got out of first gear, and they paid the price for it. TFI will be back on our screens before the new series of Top Gear.”

Channel 4 signed up Evans for 10 episodes of TFI after a one-off show proved a hit.

The series, set to start in October, will mean delays to filming parts of Top Gear.

BBC TV boss Danny Cohen admitted on Monday he was shocked Evans had signed up for TFI as well as the BBC2 car show.

He said: “I was a little bit surprised. He had a commitment, he’s finishing it, but after that he will be solely focused on Top Gear.”

However, Channel 4 bosses insist Evans can “go on making TFI if he likes”, because their contract was in place before the BBC’s one.

Evans was announced as the new Top Gear host on June 16.

But TFI went out on Friday June 12 and was such a hit with bosses and viewers that Channel 4 already had a deal in place within hours, meaning the BBC could not tie him to an exclusive deal when he signed for them four days later.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/top-gear-launch-delayed-after-6327392
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    What a prescient quote from 'the insider' at C4...
    The source added: “It is Chris’ show and it only really works with him back in the hosting chair."
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Ben_Caesar wrote: »
    People underestimate Clarkson's fanbase. No one really cared for the Top Gear branded as they cared for Clarkson and his chemistry with the little bears under the stewardship of Andy Wilman. This new venture is going to be huge.

Exactly. The BBC simply refuse to understand this, and are just beginning to see the stupidity of hiring Evans. Apparently, the Ginger Twonk has 'surprised' them by signing up to to a series of TFI Friday.... at the same time as Top Gear, and his Radio 2 breakfast show. Fully committed to TG, I don't think so.
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving the repeats on every night on bbc3. I had actually forgotten just how good topgear was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC2 controller Kim Shillinglaw said she is “excited” and “terrified” by the prospect of bringing back Top Gear with its new presenter Chris Evans following the axing of Jeremy Clarkson.

Shillinglaw said the new incarnation of the BBC’s most valuable show would retain many aspects of the series when it was presented by Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond.

But she said it would also be “really different”, with a new, supersized Top Gear track at Dunsfold in Surrey, home of the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment, expected to be one of the changes.

<snipped>

“It’s going to be different – there will be continuity – but it will be really different.

“You will see Dunsfold looking quite interesting, the presenter line-up is going to be a bit different. There will be some changes to the show. It’s scary but it’s really exciting.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/aug/28/chris-evans-top-gear-really-different-jeremy-clarkson-version-bbc2
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In other news:

"Jeremy Clarkson 'to become highest paid TV host in Britain' on post-Top Gear Amazon Prime show Host of new car show to earn £9.6 million a year"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11829887/Jeremy-Clarkson-set-to-become-highest-paid-TV-host-in-Britain-on-post-Top-Gear-Amazon-Prime-show.html
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Seems like Top Gear could be delayed according to The Mirror:

Oh dear!! I can imagine Clarkson in particular sitting and chuckling to himself. I wonder if Chris realises what a huge commitment TG is. It's not just a show he can turn up to at 4am and go home from at 11am. It's not a show he can pen in a pub, rehearse for a few nights and then make a fist of live on Friday night. It's a huge commitment with weeks and weeks of filming.

I wonder if the three amigos will get their show out before the next series of TG. That would be a big blow to the BBC.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In other news:

"Jeremy Clarkson 'to become highest paid TV host in Britain' on post-Top Gear Amazon Prime show Host of new car show to earn £9.6 million a year"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11829887/Jeremy-Clarkson-set-to-become-highest-paid-TV-host-in-Britain-on-post-Top-Gear-Amazon-Prime-show.html
    All of them are really laughing there way to the bank

I think I read somewhere that a whole season on the BBC was budgeted at like £7 million or something, so this is silly money in comparison. Hamster and May arn't doing so bad as well
This discussion has been closed.