Thank god for the BBC

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well our media in general, I am glad we don't have to have the shit America has

http://bobcesca.com/blog-archives/2012/07/rant-why-nbc-and-the-american-media-are-an-embarrassment.html

Some of the comments on this story are funny, well I say funny worrying really that idiots like that take up room on this planet
you brits had no problem not marking the anniversary of the munich massacre...and why not make it a tribute to all victims of terrorism world wide...bully for nbc for not showing you wallow in self pity...bad enough we were forced to watch your tribute to shitty television

I am so glad you wrote this. I have been trying to explain how badly NBC destroyed the opening ceremony. It seems crazy that the same exact show could be so horribly edited, directed, produced to make it be something completely different, but it was! To read the horrible insults by Americans on twitter while the rest of the world was praising, rightfully so, the excellent job London did was humiliating. NBC made the entire country look foolish because we responded to their crap as if it was London's crap. NBC thinks we are idiots and by the reaction of people telling Danny Boyle to "give his Oscars back" and saying "we should have let Hitler have the UK" because of the horrible opening, it's become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Comments

• Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the scheme of things its no big deal. American and British TV is amongst the best in the world. The internet is full of *******.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    America makes some good TV programmes, but its TV services leave a lot to be desired.
  • Ghost MisguidedGhost Misguided Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the americans just aren't very bright are they?

they should consider that everything isn't all about them
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Be more concerned that some British people didn't know who he was playing.
  • TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    It was the most watched Olympic ceremony ever in America, more viewers than their own ceremony in Atlanta. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=8209303
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC won't be getting my thanks anytime soon for inflicting Trevor Nelson upon us.... He makes some of those NBC anchors seem Paxmanesque.... Why Beeb??? Why :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So self involved that some Americans on twitter thought the NHS part was a dig at the USA
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    So self involved that some Americans on twitter thought the NHS part was a dig at the USA
    Danny Boyle showing his support for Obamacare!! :D
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member

Compared to the brits who thought the memorial during the opening ceremonies was about 7/7?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Compared to the brits who thought the memorial during the opening ceremonies was about 7/7?

And American's didn't, thats the reason NBC was trending on twitter, because American's thought they had cut the tribute
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More jingoistic yank bashing from the OP. I thought the Olympics were supposed to be about the peaceful brining together of nations.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    The American have short attention spans. NBC was doing the Yanks a favour.

"Gee, honey, this British Olympics is so long."

"I know, dear. I prefer the adverts in between."
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    More jingoistic yank bashing from the OP. I thought the Olympics were supposed to be about the peaceful brining together of nations.
    I feel sorry for American Olympics fans. They're always having to put up with those advertiser friendly highlights packages that NBC cooks up, rather than continuous live action.
  • oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you guys need to get a grip on your obsession about America. it's not healthy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I feel sorry for American Olympics fans. They're always having to put up with those advertiser friendly highlights packages that NBC cooks up, rather than continuous live action.

I'm American, and I don't think NBC has ever been great at broadcasting the Olympics (not least of all because Bob Costas never shuts up :D), but I think for the first time this olympics viewers can get live streaming of the medal events, uninterrupted. A bit of an improvement, I guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and yes, the BBC coverage has been miles ahead of what we're getting here in the states. be thankful, take pity, and please have a bit of class.

some of the conversations here are very much beneath you.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    This Abe Lincoln thing is the most dumbest, ridiculous, ignorant and eminently stupid thing I have seen this year. I really hope those that made the comparison were joking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm American, and I don't think NBC has ever been great at broadcasting the Olympics (not least of all because Bob Costas never shuts up :D), but I think for the first time this olympics viewers can get live streaming of the medal events, uninterrupted. A bit of an improvement, I guess.

It's still super crappy, honestly. Bob Costas is ok, but with the addition of Matt Lauer and the NBC morning show idiots, it's become unbearable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    This Abe Lincoln thing is the most dumbest, ridiculous, ignorant and eminently stupid thing I have seen this year. I really hope those that made the comparison were joking.

It sounds like a joke to me, but who knows? Of course as we can see with the 7/7 tribute that wasn't a 7/7 tribute outrage, some people will swallow anything as long as it confirms their prejudices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like a joke to me, but who knows? Of course as we can see with the 7/7 tribute that wasn't a 7/7 tribute outrage, some people will swallow anything as long as it confirms their prejudices.

There are quite a few news storys on the internet about it, so I doubt it's a joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are quite a few news storys on the internet about it, so I doubt it's a joke.

There were quite a few news stories about the "7/7 tribute" as well. But if it makes you feel superior, then you go ahead and believe what you want. :D

Are you at all concerned that a lot of British people didn't know who Branagh was portraying?
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    No concerned that the fashion of the day is attributed solely to one man, Abraham Lincoln. Yes, it is a worry when people, British or otherwise have no idea who Brunel is even though his genius is still with us today.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why are people getting hung up on the 7/7 thing? Yes it wasn't specifically a tribute to victims of that bombing but it was a tribute to other dead people. Does that mean it's now ok for NBC to decide they didn't care about it and show an interview instead that they could have shown at any time (or just in addition to the full show given that it was off tape)?
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno what all the fuss is about...

Sure there were Americans who didnt have a clue who Branagh was supposed to be... Brunel isnt the historic figure there as he is here... and sure some idiots thought it was Lincoln in his brief role of UK industrialist before becoming president. I bet there were quite a few people confused as to who he was supposed to be in the UK too.

And yeah, NBC sucks.. their coverage isn't half as good as the BBC and its presenters are a bit daft... But it does excel in other areas of the media... the Wire or Breaking Bad... doubt they could be done here. Theres crap and excellence in both countries.

PS dont forget the awfulness that is the Trev Nelson... I felt myself get more stupid just from listening to his commentary