Options

BBC 2 21:00 The Secret Life of Uri Geller

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
The Secret Life of Uri Geller
Uri Geller, the controversial mentalist, paranormal expert and spoon bender, has had a life in front of the cameras, a life surrounded by controversy, a life dotted with amazing psychic demonstrations. But most people didn't know that, away from the bent cutlery and broken watches, he had been leading a second, covert, life as a 'psychic spy', working secretly, and without recognition for nearly thirty years. This 'secret life' has included work for the military and intelligence agencies on three continents - indeed, the scientists who first did rigorous research on Geller more than forty years ago (and concluded that he has a phenomenal gift) were funded by the CIA.

Now, for the first time, this incredible story is going to be explored in a new television documentary, with unique and compelling interviews from Uri himself as well as those who knew and worked closely with him.

I just know this program is going to cheer many people up no end :)

Comments

• Options
    jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you can 100% bet the people that will watch it are the people that think he is a "fake" and are only watching it for "a laugh"
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you believe there are people who don't think he's a fake?
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People in military and intelligence agencies believe in this woo-woo? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People in military and intelligence agencies believe in this woo-woo? :confused:

Psychic spying is old news.
    Independent's take on the program.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Uri Liar...
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Sinking of the Titanic, 9/11, 7/7, the Internet...he forecast the lot :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He comes across as a very intelligent and likeable guy but all the time I'm thinking that I wouldn't trust anything about him ora word he utters . He's made so many ridulous claims over the years and I recall reading something about him being caught trying to scam $1 million dollars from a trust fund in the USA - which had promised to pay anyone who could prove any form of physic power or mind reading or levitation or whatever .
  • Options
    welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    He comes across as a very intelligent and likeable guy but all the time I'm thinking that I wouldn't trust anything about him ora word he utters . He's made so many ridulous claims over the years and I recall reading something about him being caught trying to scam $1 million dollars from a trust fund in the USA - which had promised to pay anyone who could prove any form of physic power or mind reading or levitation or whatever .

Yeah i remember that aswell, but he does come across as a bit Mad. Interesting programme so far though.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there probably is some truth to his claims but I suspect he has milked them to the max and added bits on over the years to make himself sound more than he is. But hey.. if he's got a nice house out of it and a comfortable life then so be it.
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bender, full of shite!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there probably is some truth to his claims

No, there isn't - he's got about very basic magic 6 tricks that he's done all his career but realised he can tie a lot of woo-wooness around it all.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this. God help those countries who are stupid enough to hire an Illusionist and a total fruityloop to do their intelligence for them. I'm surprised the bloke is still alive to be honest and someone hasn't shot the charlatan for ripping off the Israeli government. It's no wonder he needs so much security.

I bet he wasn't sat behind those blokes on the plane thinking 'erase the disc' he was probably thinking, 'cheers for the free paid holiday you mugs', 'If I keep this act up I could make a few quid here.'

He's a con man who's made a great deal of money from claiming to be something he's not and being very good at a few mentalist tricks and people who are gullible to believe such mumbo-jumbo that he keeps spouting have kept him on the gravy train all his life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Utterly disgraceful that the BBC would spend taxpayers' money to promote such a shameless charlatan. The fact that even a single person can believe such obvious lies is astonishing.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded this, and I've watched about 15 minutes of it.

So far as I can see, it's not actually a documentary, it's just a shameless self-promotion.

Is there any point in watching any more of this rubbish? Does it get any better?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I urge all of you who watched it and realised it was not a documentary and just the BBC spending 1 hour promoting a conman to send a complaint online, as I have:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complain-online/
  • Options
    StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    The radar jamming bollocks over Egyptian airspace was a bit of an outrageous claim even for him.I watched though out of curiosity about his alleged Mossad connections,I can't have it though and was not surprised how his bizarre association with Michael Jackson wasn't featured.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    I can't have it though and was not surprised how his bizarre association with Michael Jackson wasn't featured.

Even more bizarre was when they both turned up at Exeter City once on the back of a classic car (along with David Blaine). Jacko was under an umbrella. It wasn't raining.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/news_features/2002/michael_jackson.shtml

Uri's son supports Exeter City for some reason and Uri was briefly co-chairman. Once we were in a relegation battle (nothing paranormal about that). He got the local paper to print an orange dot on the back page (for good luck....). He put some crystals in the goals... We lost 0-5.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Uri gellar will do anything for a quick buck in my opinion.

I used to work with him on a magazine called uri gellars close encounters and one issue, we were cover mounting a crystal 'blessed' by Uri.

He just 'blessed' each box. I couldn't help wondering if the crystals at the bottom got his special magical juice lol.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    Here's the Stanford Research Institute (SRI) film.

Note it begins by referring to experiments in Russia, could it be a double bluff by the Ameicans? Get the Russians to waste money on such projects or maybe the Americans had someone working for them over there and they wished to advance their career?

How come Uri failed to foresee the outcome of the Bashir interview, why didn't Jackson employ Uri's powers to either erase the tapes or switch off the transmitters when the programme was due to broadcast?

Most of the photos in the documentary are on Gellar's website. In 1996 he treated Al Gore's child with a teddy bear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    badweather wrote: »
    Utterly disgraceful that the BBC would spend taxpayers' money to promote such a shameless charlatan. The fact that even a single person can believe such obvious lies is astonishing.

I don't get where the promotion was. The programme never once claimed he had any powers and the music had a beautiful sense of irony counter playing Geller's statements. I suspect the current good weather has disturbed badweather's irony detector and as a result he missed a fascinating and enjoyable programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't watch it and wasn't going to bother downloading it given the posts on here, I'll have to download it and give it a go, see for myself.
    Independent article has a different take to most on this thread.

Edit: It's on again at 23:20 on BBC2.
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first saw Uri back in the 1970s I thought here's a guy who knows how to play the fame game. Flash, confident, plausible, photogenic and erudite.

A snakeoil salesman indeed.

He's still doing it 35 years later.
  • Options
    GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at his 'estate', he's done alright for himself hasn't he! complete and utter lies, and the stooges on that show from 'intelligence agencies'...gotta laugh.

but as above, shame on the BBC for showing this with a completely straight face. now had they got Louis Theroux doing it - that would have been perfect!
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    More questions than answers.
    Uri was very careful not to claim to have brought down the radars or to have actually erased the disks.
    Wasn't there an American fellow (don't recall his name) on a program a few years ago who exposed some of his "tricks" as just that....tricks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    More questions than answers.
    Uri was very careful not to claim to have brought down the radars or to have actually erased the disks.
    Wasn't there an American fellow (don't recall his name) on a program a few years ago who exposed some of his "tricks" as just that....tricks?

James Randi probably, but I'd be surprised if Geller went within a thousand miles of Randi with a camera present.
    Lots of other magicians have performed spoon bending tricks and the like.