Options

Fake or Fortune?

FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
Forum Member
edited 09/08/21 - 11:08 in UK TV Shows #1
I do like this series. Quite enjoyable :)

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually quite surprised it's back for another series. I liked it to begin with but the format started to wear a little thin with me after a while.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    What's happened to the blue leather jacket? Is it a fake Fiona Bruce?
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I record this. Watch the first ten minutes, then skip quickly through any padding until the "reveal."
    It needed only half an hour.

I'm not sure licence money should be used to help people who are usually well off to add to their fortune when provenance is established, unless the BBC gets a percentage of the likely resultant sale of the subjects.
  • Options
    creasecrease Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    I record this. Watch the first ten minutes, then skip quickly through any padding until the "reveal."

I'm not sure licence money should be used to help people who are usually well off to add to their fortune when provenance is established, unless the BBC gets a percentage of the likely resultant sale of the subjects.

What do you like , other than Inappropriately young jazz singers, while slagging off other female "contemporary vocalists" ?
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of waffle, they could just have gone to the last bit & cut out the middlemen.
    Fionas worn well, she looked just like the clip of the London bombings that followed.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you want to drop all antiques programmes also?

I suspect many do not sell the items immediately, the man last night seemed as interested in proving his father had not been conned. How do you ensure you get your commission in twenty or more years time?

The cost of the experts in the programme is probably insignificant compared with the the costs of making a TV programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    What a load of waffle, they could just have gone to the last bit & cut out the middlemen.

On that basis, many TV programmes would be a lot shorter, but I suppose we would at least not have suffer hours of boring sport when they just go straight to the result.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    On that basis, many TV programmes would be a lot shorter, but I suppose we would at least not have suffer hours of boring sport when they just go straight to the result.

The next series of Broadchurch is 5 minutes long and only shows the arrest of a child murderer.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Well I enjoyed the full hour and the bits of background we got - was it just me or did the man who owned the paintings look just like a younger version of Dickie Bird the cricket umpire (and yes, I'm aware it probably was just me :blush: )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was well good and we learnt that Lowry told fibs about his limited palate of only five colours.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Well I enjoyed the full hour and the bits of background we got - was it just me or did the man who owned the paintings look just like a younger version of Dickie Bird the cricket umpire (and yes, I'm aware it probably was just me :blush: )

He reminded me of someone but I thought it was more a football manager or comic of the time.

Never seen this show before but found it very interesting. It struck me, too how well Fiona has worn
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how the painting itself didn't matter. All that mattered was whether it was a real lowry/banksy/hirst etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suspect many do not sell the items immediately, the man last night seemed as interested in proving his father had not been conned. How do you ensure you get your commission in twenty or more years time?

The cost of the experts in the programme is probably insignificant compared with the the costs of making a TV programme.

Would you like to re-visit that daft remark?

When did I say that?

Why try to turn it into a "feast or famine alternative?

It just makes you look silly.

I do record Antiques Road Show and skip through the less interesting items.
    But that still leaves plenty worth watching.

No costs incurred when making a TV programme, are insignificant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    It was well good and we learnt that Lowry told fibs about his limited palate of only five colours.

And a serious faker would be careful to stick to the five colours that Lowry always said he used.

The chap who demonstrated how to fake a painting must be one of the family who were featured in a repeated programme a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    Surf's UpSurf's Up Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did strike me there was an elephant in the room which they couldn't discuss, namely did the owner's father not have any proof of purchase because he, er, acquired them without paying for them? Maybe in settlement of a debt?

When the saleroom said they had been sold around the relevant time but to someone else, whose name they wouldn't disclose, I'd like the programme at least to have asked them to go down the tunnel from that end and try to track the painting from that end. And if they did ask but the saleroom declined to cooperate, say as much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surf's Up wrote: »
    It did strike me there was an elephant in the room which they couldn't discuss, namely did the owner's father not have any proof of purchase because he, er, acquired them without paying for them? Maybe in settlement of a debt?

When the saleroom said they had been sold around the relevant time but to someone else, whose name they wouldn't disclose, I'd like the programme at least to have asked them to go down the tunnel from that end and try to track the painting from that end. And if they did ask but the saleroom declined to cooperate, say as much.

It was very fortunate that the "experts" consulted would be willing to attribute the paintings to Lowry, despite the absence of any written provenance, or ownership, in the event of a sale.

Well, I mean 15% of a lot of money, is... a lot of money, innit?
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I found it very interesting, I learned more about Lowry (like he told fibs) and that his paintings are so heavily faked/copied (very sneaky the way some sellers manage to imply the paintings are by Lowry without actually saying they are). I like Lowry's work, I like the mill scenes but my favourite is Yachts At Lytham, which is not what people expect from Lowry.

I don't understand how the crowd scene was authenticated though, was it just a case of the other two being genuine so the third probably is as well? I get that the old couple was most likely genuine, as it matched the one in Lowry's workshop. The woman with dogs was genuine as it had been sold by a gallery who got it from Lowry (though not sold to the current owner's father apparently, so that was a little ambiguous - surely more investigation into where it had been would be required, just in case there are two of them), but the crowd scene, I don't know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surf's Up wrote: »

The saleroom could not cooperate because of confidentiality, they had no choice. The painting could have passed through many people since then and the original purchaser quite probably had also died.

They had checked catalogues and there was no record of it being in an auction but could have easily changed ownership several times. I don't think Lowry prices were as high then either so if an owner died it could have ended up in a local gallery or even charity shop!

His father perhaps just liked art and did not think of things like provenance.
  • Options
    Surf's UpSurf's Up Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see that the saleroom couldn't hand the purchaser's name over to the programme. But they could have done a bit of research at their end and maybe the original purchaser or their family would have been happy to cooperate. It's conceivable that at some point it was stolen so it might even have eventually reunited it with a rightful owner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't explain why, but I thought the attempts at "gravitas," by the experts in the "reveal," prompted the thought "Would you buy a used car from them?"
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, he was hardly going to go on national TV and ask the BBC to spend license payers money so he could make a huge profit was he!

I wonder if he waited until after probate was complete so he wouldn't have to pay inheritance tax on the newly increased value of the paintings?
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Anyone else watching this? I liked this last year, but this series seems to be full of posh nobs using the beeb to do their dirty work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the letters say FYFFES? (With due regard to Steptoe and Son)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's getting narked!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do the letters say FYFFES? (With due regard to Steptoe and Son)

:D!!!