What would make you stop......

kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
Forum Member
✭✭
However much we might moan, obviously everyone on this forum is a Strictly fan (or they wouldn't bother with the forum!!) but out of curiosity I wonder what they'd have to do to make you give up watching the show altogether?

Comments

• aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know - the absolute worst for me was Widdy, and that didn't do it ... so I'd have to say 'Worse Than Widdy' and at the minute can't actually think what what that could be.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Not give up altogether, but give up until he'd left the building, and then live in fear of him popping up in the audience :cry: - Peter Andre - for me he's worse then Widdy :o
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that I can record and fast forward, I cannot think of anything.:D
  • AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dismalness of last series (awful judging mostly) made me consider switching off.
  • Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    Anything that looked to be nicked from DOI's scrapheap would make me waver; the silly twists were ok on DOI, because DOI was silly, but they'd jar massively on Strictly.
  • Sue_HowarthSue_Howarth Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The return of Brucie
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Even more blatant rigging of the eliminations towards the end (Tour)
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    A lot of these campaigns on twitter and fb to deliberately keep in the duffers. :(
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More unnecessary changes and dumbing down. I actually was bored watching some of the weeks last year, they were truly terrible. I've watched it religiously since series 2 but I am getting fed up of it and miss the expertise of the missing Pro's.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they make just one more "improvement."

They've pretty much ruined a good dance programme with continued dumbing down.

Has only been worth recording for the last several years, so I can skip through all the unnecessary padding.
  • Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't been 'must watch' for me since series 8. If I was out on a Saturday I used to watch the recording as soon as I got in, no matter how late it was, but now I either watch days later or not at all. I already fast forward through Tess, the 'comedy' VTs and sometimes the judges. This year, if they go any further towards DWTS and introduce more theme weeks or put that pointless troupe of backing dancers in the couple's dances again, I probably won't bother at all.
  • PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm alright with the main show, it runs much smoother now. The comedy vt's are naff but fast forwardable, it's all good, clean sparkly fun. If anything, I'd get rid of Bruno, I'm over his camp act now.

I'm much closer to quitting ITT. That does need a revamp. It's not Zoe so much and I love her bits with Ian Waite. It's the 3 minute interviews that are over before they've even begun, possibly interesting answers being cut off to ask another dull question from the list. Also the inane fillers hits and bobs- I give you last year's quiz with Lisa (shudders) Riley, Robin teaching the teachers and Natalie teaching that couple to dance. To add to that Zoe playing to and bantering with the crew in the studio, just get on with it!

Don't get me wrong some bits of ITT I enjoy, others not so much.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm alright with the main show, it runs much smoother now. The comedy vt's are naff but fast forwardable, it's all good, clean sparkly fun. If anything, I'd get rid of Bruno, I'm over his camp act now.

I'm much closer to quitting ITT. That does need a revamp. It's not Zoe so much and I love her bits with Ian Waite. It's the 3 minute interviews that are over before they've even begun, possibly interesting answers being cut off to ask another dull question from the list. Also the inane fillers hits and bobs- I give you last year's quiz with Lisa (shudders) Riley, Robin teaching the teachers and Natalie teaching that couple to dance. To add to that Zoe playing to and bantering with the crew in the studio, just get on with it!

Don't get me wrong some bits of ITT I enjoy, others not so much.

I would pretty much go along with everything you say. The really annoying thing about Bruno is that over the years, judging 3 of these shows each year, he has actually learnt quite a lot about ballroom & Latin and can judge sensibly. But all his stupid antics, falling off chair, etc., and overdoing the "camp act" is soooooooooooooo annoying. So yes, get rid of him by all means (but replace him with someone who knows what he/she is talking about!)

ITT has gone downhill imo. It seems the show has been turned into a cheapskate comedy, whereas I really think most viewers would like to have sensible interviews with the couples taking part, and the dancing they are doing. I do like Zoe, except when she screws up her face so stupidly when giving results of the "pro test" or whatever it is called! And someone really needs to give her some better questions to ask - how many times does she ask "what would it mean to you to win?" etc etc etc.......
  • Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I would pretty much go along with everything you say. The really annoying thing about Bruno is that over the years, judging 3 of these shows each year, he has actually learnt quite a lot about ballroom & Latin and can judge sensibly. But all his stupid antics, falling off chair, etc., and overdoing the "camp act" is soooooooooooooo annoying. So yes, get rid of him by all means (but replace him with someone who knows what he/she is talking about!)

ITT has gone downhill imo. It seems the show has been turned into a cheapskate comedy, whereas I really think most viewers would like to have sensible interviews with the couples taking part, and the dancing they are doing. I do like Zoe, except when she screws up her face so stupidly when giving results of the "pro test" or whatever it is called! And someone really needs to give her some better questions to ask - how many times does she ask "what would it mean to you to win?" etc etc etc.......

I think my fave bits of ITT last year were the Q&As with the pros (Tristan, Aliona, Natalie etc.) - I wish they would do more of that kind of thing, but its almost as if they think the viewers can't cope without everything being dumbed down.

Re the judges (if they're not going to go the ex-pro route) I'd be happy if they got Adam Garcia on the panel - I think he's done DWTS Australia so should know at least as much as Bruno.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    I think my fave bits of ITT last year were the Q&As with the pros (Tristan, Aliona, Natalie etc.) - I wish they would do more of that kind of thing, but its almost as if they think the viewers can't cope without everything being dumbed down.

Re the judges (if they're not going to go the ex-pro route) I'd be happy if they got Adam Garcia on the panel - I think he's done DWTS Australia so should know at least as much as Bruno.

I love Adam Garcia. But as proved when they had a couple of ballroom dancers on Live to Dance (or whatever the UK version was called) he knows even less about BB & Lat than Darcey & Bruno put together!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With you on the Q and A's.

I'd also like to see proper pro dances back; to see them properly going for it. Case in point; Iveta a World Champion but we never really saw her dance, a few dances of wafting around for 30 seconds, brief glimpses of her ballroom dancing with Anton during a singer. I wonder that ttpb think that we couldn't handle a few minutes of fox trotting or waltzing without breaking it up with with some twerking or whatever!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem with ITT is that it starts every year on the premise that it has a comepletly new audience and so starts from scratch - it doesn't factor in that a good proportion of its viewers have over a decade under their belt! I've a couple of old ones on the sky box, with Claudia, and really they're not that much different.

There's also the problem that, in the interests of fairness very couple has to have an interview a week - which makes the early series ones when they have 15 or 16 to cram in very rushed and even more rote.

Ideally :D I'd like them to acknowledge that some of their viewers are veterans and pitch some of the programme towards them as well as doing things for the new watcher, start ITT a week before the main show starts and have a longer show for the first few weeks until the numbers thin so the interviews can be more than a say hello, wave goodbye rush job.
  • Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With you on the Q and A's.

I'd also like to see proper pro dances back; to see them properly going for it. Case in point; Iveta a World Champion but we never really saw her dance, a few dances of wafting around for 30 seconds, brief glimpses of her ballroom dancing with Anton during a singer. I wonder that ttpb think that we couldn't handle a few minutes of fox trotting or waltzing without breaking it up with with some twerking or whatever!

yeah I really would like to see the pro dances be "a foxtrot" or "a cha cha" rather than every single dance done simultaneously. I swear they used to be like that... I don't know what changed...
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I think the problem with ITT is that it starts every year on the premise that it has a comepletly new audience and so starts from scratch - it doesn't factor in that a good proportion of its viewers have over a decade under their belt! I've a couple of old ones on the sky box, with Claudia, and really they're not that much different..

Yeah, ITT has always had dumb segments. Lest we forget "Ask Len", "Len's Masterclass", "Truth Or Strictly Baloney", "Let's Get Westlife In And Pretend They Watch The Show So They Can Plug An Album", anything that involved James Jordan wandering around backstage doing comedy Gay Voice, or when Julien McDonald screamed the fashion reviews for an entire series or when they used to get psychics in to "predict" who was going to leave, or when they used to get psychic pets in to "predict" who was going to leave or "wear a Strictly outfit to work" or...it goes on. The major difference for me is that Zoe and Claudia have very different presenting styles and I honestly think they would benefit from a job swap, because I think Claudia fits the Zoo TV atmosphere of It Takes Two more and Zoe's slightly better at getting to the point (whilst still being slightly off-kilter) on the live shows.

I'm not even going to pretend I'm going to stop watching at this point. Even the truly dumbest of potential twists (introducing a Contemporary Round, introducing a Hip Hop Round) I think I could find comedy value in. Based on practical observation, the worst thing they could do is to reduce the length of the performance, because that killed Dancing With The Stars for me.
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they keep moving the show in the direction they have been moving it.

Away from being a test of character.
    Away from being a contest where the pro and celeb need to form a team.
    More controlled - less freedom for the pros and celebs and results manipulated.
    Backing dancers.
    Burn The Floor pro dances. What a waste having Iveta on the show and not having her show her full skills, but then is there a male pro who could dance at a similar level?
    Dancing psychic animals and the other naff ideas of a similar ilk on ITT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Yeah, ITT has always had dumb segments. Lest we forget "Ask Len", "Len's Masterclass", "Truth Or Strictly Baloney", "Let's Get Westlife In And Pretend They Watch The Show So They Can Plug An Album", anything that involved James Jordan wandering around backstage doing comedy Gay Voice, or when Julien McDonald screamed the fashion reviews for an entire series or when they used to get psychics in to "predict" who was going to leave, or when they used to get psychic pets in to "predict" who was going to leave or "wear a Strictly outfit to work" or...it goes on. The major difference for me is that Zoe and Claudia have very different presenting styles and I honestly think they would benefit from a job swap, because I think Claudia fits the Zoo TV atmosphere of It Takes Two more and Zoe's slightly better at getting to the point (whilst still being slightly off-kilter) on the live shows.

I'm not even going to pretend I'm going to stop watching at this point. Even the truly dumbest of potential twists (introducing a Contemporary Round, introducing a Hip Hop Round) I think I could find comedy value in. Based on practical observation, the worst thing they could do is to reduce the length of the performance, because that killed Dancing With The Stars for me.

I think Zoe has the same fatigue that struck Claudia - it must be hard to keep pretending that you can't remember what a throwaway oversway is from one year to the next - especially when you were actually taught it. If it's a tad boring for the longer term viewers it must be mind numbing for the presenter.
  • thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    I don't think anything will stop me watching SCD or ITT. I think I "love" the show too much to just cut ties and leave. SCD IS my Autumn/Winter Saturday night show. As Monkseal said even when they introduce Contemporary, Hip Hop, Disco to the roster it is more dances I get to enjoy. If they cut the amount of Charlestons by maybe 2 or 3 and replace them wih the Argentine Tango. I will be happier.

The show is 11 years old and still is a complete juggernaut in the ratings (it is only 2 million down from the DWTS ratings). So it is not going anywhere. I say embrace the changes, beacause whether we like it or not the show is and will enter a new era. I remember the outcry when the studio design changed between S7 and S8 and I LOVE the studio design. In regards to judges Len, Bruno, Darcey and Craig wont be there forever especially Len.

I know the pro aspect is a touchy one. But the newer pros are better at choreographing for the stage. They might be down on the technique but they are more flashier and I find it entertaining (Janette's Salsa anyone).

In a way I would like the show to take risks to keep the show fresh and exciting. What would make me turn off is if we see upteen foxtrots to Jazz standards for example. I would like a few risks in the music department like the Gravity Tango, Caroline's and Allison's EDM Tangos, Frankie's House Remix Salsa, Frankie's Classical Argentine Tango, Pixie's Rock/Classical/Opera Paso Doble. I know some didn't work eg Stop Tango, Greekentine Tango (BTW I think that could have worked)

This is all I could come up with at the moment.
  • davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A really bad batch of celebs could make me turn off. I generally don't know many of them each year but some others can make a good impression in the first week. If I don't like any of them then that will be it.
  • BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Andre.

Or the loss of Aliona.

If they partnered Peter Andre with Aliona I think my head would explode!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMLisa wrote: »
    Peter Andre.

Or the loss of Aliona.

If they partnered Peter Andre with Aliona I think my head would explode!

One of my series highlights is Aliona's face when her new partner is announced, never change Aliona! It'll be fun to see if there's any hostility between her and Brendan. I can quite cheerfully imagine her giving Brendan a cheeky kick to the shin should the opportunity arise.