Options

What are your favourite Musicals?

2»

Comments

• Options
    InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of musicals really, but Calamity Jane is one of my favourite ever films, and it just so happens to be a musical. Doris Day is absolutely amazing. I watched a university performance of it too and it was fantastic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    OLIVER, i just love it :D
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinray wrote: »
    Here are mine...

1. Hit the Deck (1950)

2. Kiss Me Kate (1953)

3. On The Town (1950)

4. Singin' in the Rain (1951)

5. Strictly Ballroom (1991)

6. Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954)

7. Gentleman Prefer Blondes (1953)

8. West Side Story (1959)

9. Moulin Rouge (2001)

10. Easter Parade (1948)

Theatre musicals or film musicals?
  • Options
    skinrayskinray Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Theatre musicals or film musicals?

Well it was supposed to be film musicals, but I didn't want to spoil everybody's fun, and I should have stipulated Film at the start of the thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheddy99 wrote: »
    I was too busy answering the criticisms!
    Anyway MY favourite musical is West Side Story.

Quite a few people like that one. I have to admit, it's not a firm favourite of mine, but George Chakiris is in it so that's always a plus point for me! (I remember I sat through an interminable three hours - although it seemed longer! - of the most boring war film I'd ever seen - and I like war films, on the whole! - 'Is Paris Burning' - for him; only to see him right at the very end, as he pops out of the top of a tank, looks around Paris, says one line and then drops back into the tank again! That's three hours of my life I'll never get back! :eek::D)

Sheddy, I'm sorry if you feel that you've been abused or sniped at. Maybe your initial comment was a valid one, but to be honest I can see where feathers might have been ruffled - for a while there, maybe some of us (and yes, of course I include myself in that number because obviously, I, too, commented about your post) felt that we were in a nice, sort of protected 'cocoon' - far away from the vileness of some of the other threads. And the fact that there is a danger that this thread could be moved at any time (although I hope it isn't, because it and its 'cousins' provide a nice counter in 'showbiz' to those other threads - and it's a lot more relevant to 'showbiz' than threads on footballers and newspaper journalists - which also appear in here!) maybe plays on our minds a little (I know I've thought about it) and maybe it's a bit of a sore point!:)

Or maybe I'm completely wrong in that assumption - just because I feel one way doesn't mean anyone else does! :)

However, back on topic and - now that you've dipped your toe (so to speak), any other favourites? I personally think now that it's been opened up to both stage and film it should remain that way - but that's just me!

I think I commented before about how many of those film musicals had actually become (or started life as) stage musicals. 'Fiddler on the Roof' for instance. Then there's 'Paint your Wagon' (an infinitely better and weirdly, slightly differently plotted!) production on stage than it is on film (plus it didn't have Clint Eastwood trying to sing! :eek: Not that he does a horrible job - but it's not the best I've heard!).

Sad to say I haven't seen any of the crop of musicals gracing our London stages (not living there it's a little difficult). But I'd like to.

'Rocky Horror' I have seen in its various guises of course - and there's a musical that you actually participate in when you see the stage version! Not so much when you see the film (especially at home - unless, of course, there are those who sit there spraying the screen with water pistols, putting their brollies up etc etc etc - whilst wearing the appropriate basques, of course!:D).
  • Options
    sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    The only ever musical I've seen on stage is Buddy, and I thought that was excellent too - of course there's Grease and Grease 2 and I also love Chicago :D
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheddy99 wrote: »
    The only ever musical I've seen on stage is Buddy, and I thought that was excellent too - of course there's Grease and Grease 2 and I also love Chicago :D

I've never actually seen Chicago - either in film or stage form. More a loss to me, I suspect!!! :)

Grease 2 was ... well, it wasn't the best musical I've ever seen! Shame because I think Michelle Pfeiffer is a fabulous actress (loved her in 'Witches of Eastwick', 'The Fabulous Baker Boys' etc!) and she's absolutely gorgeous (not that this has anything to do with her acting ability!):) I think the producers were trying to recapture the spirit of the original - and sadly, it's very rare that a sequel can do that (there are exceptions of course, but they had a magical formula in the actors they cast in the first film, not to mention a fabulous score).

It was a brave attempt but, for me it just didn't come off. Not that it mattered for Ms Pfeiffer - she's had a fabulous career anyway!

'Grease' is, of course, a classic now! I think it was a Channel 4 '100 greatest musicals' or something where it emerged as number one! I would certainly have put it in the top 20 but not sure it deserved top slot over films like 'Singing in the Rain', 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' etc etc. However, as it was the public voting (I think!), it was always going to be subjective!

Then again, when the Industry votes (especially with serious films), they always place things like 'Citizen Kane' at the top - which of course is a worthy film and excellent movie, but not a personal favourite of many people I know! They tend to go with 'worthy' rather than 'popular' - which is why, I guess, we need the public polls to temper it!

Great. Now I'm going to be humming the final song from 'Grease' all day! 'We go together, like rama lama lama lama, dinga de dinga dong ... ' :eek::D
  • Options
    The DaneThe Dane Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I saw "Chicago" last year on stage, the Danish version, and it was very good.

A lot of people found it too raunchy and decadent, but I guess people are more aware that "Cabaret" is decadent, as it is better known.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I'm not really a massive fan of movie versions of musicals. I just don't think they translate well to screen. The Rent movie didn't work at all. Ones I do like though are:

Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Little Shop of Horrors
    Chicago

And favourite stage musicals would be:

Wicked
    Rent
    Spring Awakening
    The Wild Party (The Andrew Lippa one)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Into the woods
    Follies
    Passion
    Sunday in The Park With George
  • Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    "favourite musicals" is an oxymoron in my brain.

I cannot bear musicals. Esp Andrew Lloyd Webber and don't get me started on The Sound of Trauma, erm I mean Music. Dirty Dancing the film was awful enough I can't imagine the show ... eww.

Anyway, best I leave this thread! *dodges bricks*
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only like Cats :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phantom of the opera
    Les mis