Options

Landlord said yes...

littletink1986littletink1986 Posts: 30
Forum Member
For those of you who remember my recent post my landlords said yes to having a cat in my privately rented house, on Monday morning.

However my ex husband contacted me over the weekend to inform me the two cats we had together when we separated, Sooty and Hope, who he had told me a few months ago had gone to the RSPCA (I was devastated) were still in his care, but he was now having to get rid of them and wanted me to have them. I explained I would love to have them but I was waiting to hear from my landlord, but he was too impatient and dropped them at my mom's house (left them on her doorstep squished into one carrier box!) on Sunday night. Thankfully my mom gave me some cat food and a friend gave me a litter tray and litter, as being a Sunday evening nowhere was open.

So on Sunday night I had to bring them home without my landlords permission. I intended to ring the letting agent Monday morning and explain the situation, however first thing Monday I received the email from them!! I was so relieved!

My poor babies seemed very nervous and scared - so unlike them. Sooty had a lot of fur missing from his back legs and stomach. On Tuesday morning I took them to the vet. She said they both seemed in good condition physically, no worms or fleas. She said Sooty's hair loss is most likely caused by stress and anxiety which has led to over grooming which has made the skin sore, which has made him over groom more, making the skin more sore, etc etc - a viscous cycle. He had a steroid jab to calm his skin down and hopefully that, plus a less stressful life will stop him from over grooming and his skin will get better and his fur will grow back. They've both had full vaccines again as my ex had let this lapse.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can help ease Sooty's stress? He has been an outdoor cat living in a kennel for the past year :-( but prior to that he'd been used to a cat flap and coming and going as he pleased for 6 years. I'm going to keep them both inside for at least a month, possibly longer.

He keeps trying to hide in places but I'm not sure if I should let him or discourage it. He hides under the beds, behind the sofa and even pulled the kitchen kickboard off (it was already a bit loose) to hide under the cabinets. This is not like him at all. When me and my ex separated he was a really bolshy, confident, typical tom cat. While I've been writing this someone has knocked the door (looked like cold callers so I ignored it) which has made him dart behind the sofa. He's never done that before in 7 years. It breaks my heart to see him like this and I'll do anything to make things better for him, although I do appreciate it may just take time.

I would be really grateful if anyone could share similar experiences or has any advice?

Laura

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Oh Laura that is fantastic news. Your pusskins will need time and love and patience to settle down, but he will get there. Congratulations!!!!! x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my boy is stressed due to builders and a friend of mine is a breeder and she gives hers skullcap and valerian pills and 3 x echinachaea pills a day my boys fur is a bit thin but its growing back now
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only been a few days, so he probably has to get used to his surroundings. I would take no notice, carry on like normal and just give him a stroke on the head if you pass him. If he comes to you, just give him a bit of fuss.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    My Lucy lost fur from her tummy and back legs last year and had lots of red scabs which the vet said was due to overgrooming caused by stress. She didn't seem at all stressed to me but, with hindsight, I can see now that she was probably still settling into her new home and new found freedom having been in a rescue cattery for nearly all her young life.

I didn't actually do anything at all and the vet advised me to just keep an eye on the situation. She's like a completely different cat now as her true personality is coming through and her fur is thick and glossy. :) It took months to grow though.

I think cats just need lots of time to settle in and all you can do is provide a lovely, comfortable, secure, loving environment for your cats and all will be well in the end - but it definitely takes time.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness he said yes, so you could have your two babies back.

It will take a while for them to settle, as others have said, but at least they know they're wanted and will be loved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely let him hide. He will feel safe, secure and much calmer when he has found good hiding places so it's very important that if he's hiding you don't intrude on that place. I know the urge to check on him and try and tempt him out will be overwhelming but resist it and let him come out in his own time - he will, probably within a week or two. Feed him a little bit outside the hiding place so he has to come out a few times a day and see that there's nothing scary in the new house, but don't force him to stay out longer than he wants or force any affection on him if he's trying to get away.

Cats are smart and typically adjust well to new situations, it just takes them a couple of weeks. Let him set the pace and just be there with a head scratch or his favourite toy when he seeks it out.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ ^ ^

That's very good advice.
  • Options
    littletink1986littletink1986 Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all your responses. I really am so happy to have them back but I feel guilty and sad that they've had such an awful year.

Hope seems to be doing well. Sooty has moments where he's great and others when he's so scared. They're both eating well now, they're sleeping with me at night and both want and will accept attention. I'm letting Sooty hide under the bed and behind the sofa but have stopped him going under the kitchen cupboards (mainly because he comes out covered in concrete dust type stuff!) I leave him alone when he wants it and fuss him when he comes to me. If I'd had him for the first time this week I'd just think he was a nervy cat but knowing what he was like for 6 years means I can see how different he is now (and unfortunately he's had to move house 5 times during his 7 year life and his never been like this before so it can't just be moving that has done this). I think he just needs time, but I've noticed already that he is grooming his legs a lot less than when he arrived (I've had the last 2 days off work and have tried to spend as much time at home with them as possible).

A friend of mine bought a Feliway plug in for her cat after they moved house as he went "crazy". She's going to give me the plug in so I've bought a refill tonight. She said it worked amazingly for her cat and seems to have good reviews on Amazon, but has anyone else ever used one?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all your responses. I really am so happy to have them back but I feel guilty and sad that they've had such an awful year.

Hope seems to be doing well. Sooty has moments where he's great and others when he's so scared. They're both eating well now, they're sleeping with me at night and both want and will accept attention. I'm letting Sooty hide under the bed and behind the sofa but have stopped him going under the kitchen cupboards (mainly because he comes out covered in concrete dust type stuff!) I leave him alone when he wants it and fuss him when he comes to me. If I'd had him for the first time this week I'd just think he was a nervy cat but knowing what he was like for 6 years means I can see how different he is now (and unfortunately he's had to move house 5 times during his 7 year life and his never been like this before so it can't just be moving that has done this). I think he just needs time, but I've noticed already that he is grooming his legs a lot less than when he arrived (I've had the last 2 days off work and have tried to spend as much time at home with them as possible).

A friend of mine bought a Feliway plug in for her cat after they moved house as he went "crazy". She's going to give me the plug in so I've bought a refill tonight. She said it worked amazingly for her cat and seems to have good reviews on Amazon, but has anyone else ever used one?

i used feliway as my two were fighting a lot mainly over territorial stuff but since i put him on the skullcap and valerian it rarely happens now and best part it has no sedative effects
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Can you try feliway? It's a calming hormone, might help?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyond stating my success with Feliway is positive, I've no other advice.

But I'm delighted for you and the lovely cats that your landlord OKed their inclusion in your home.
  • Options
    abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It really works, the Vet told me to use it when I moved from a house to a flat and the cat had to become an indoor cat. A small plug in works wonders.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    since i put him on the skullcap and valerian

Is it wise to be giving animals dubious herbal products?