Running Windows on Macbook

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are their any restirctions at all with running Windows on a Macbook? Are their any downsides whatsoever compared to any other manufacturers laptop?

Specific Question:

Will the USB GPS unit that comes with Microsoft's Autoroute work okay with Windows on a Mac?

Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this one of the newer Intel based Macbooks? And were you planning to install Windows alongside Mac OS in a "dual-boot" type configuration or into a virtual machine running in Mac OS?

If it's an Intel based Macbook and you run Windows alongside Mac OS, not in a virtual machine, then I suspect it will work OK.

One thing I have found with my Macbook though is the USB ports can be a bit picky about what power they can supply. For example I tried a small USB hard drive in it and the Macbook simply refused to power it properly. Whereas a Dell laptop I had worked perfectly. So if the GPS unit has it's own power you may need to use that, or possibly a powered USB hub.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Is this one of the newer Intel based Macbooks? And were you planning to install Windows alongside Mac OS in a "dual-boot" type configuration or into a virtual machine running in Mac OS?

If it's an Intel based Macbook and you run Windows alongside Mac OS, not in a virtual machine, then I suspect it will work OK.

One thing I have found with my Macbook though is the USB ports can be a bit picky about what power they can supply. For example I tried a small USB hard drive in it and the Macbook simply refused to power it properly. Whereas a Dell laptop I had worked perfectly. So if the GPS unit has it's own power you may need to use that, or possibly a powered USB hub.

Thank you that's really interesting. I haven't purchased the Macbook yet. Hoping to before the week is out though. I guess all new Macbook's are Intel powered now so fingers crossed it shouldn't be a problem.

Dual-boot it'l be if thats the best way to do it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having used Windows in a couple of flavours of virtual machine software on a Mac I would certainly advise installing Windows in a dual boot type configuration. Apple call it Bootcamp.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would use http://www.parallels.com/uk/ you can do some really cleaver stuff like coherence mode where you can run Windows apps but make it look like are running from within the Mac OS. Its worth the cash.
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    I would make up my mind whether i want a Mac or PC.Whats the point of paying top price for a Mac then running windows on it when you can buy a much cheaper windows PC for that.
    I also think it morally wrong that Macs can run windows when Apple sues everyone who tries to run Mac OS on a windows PC and puts everything in the way of achieving it.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the point of paying top price for a Mac then running windows on it when you can buy a much cheaper windows PC for that.

So i can play games or apps that are Windows only? The Windows PC will prob not come close to Mac Book in terms of quality, and even being a pure Windows user until last year i would rather have Mac OS X now anyday, even more so now that heap of junk Windows 8 has come out.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I would make up my mind whether i want a Mac or PC.Whats the point of paying top price for a Mac then running windows on it when you can buy a much cheaper windows PC for that.
    I also think it morally wrong that Macs can run windows when Apple sues everyone who tries to run Mac OS on a windows PC and puts everything in the way of achieving it.

Only uses I can think of for Windows on Mac are gaming or running a particular piece of software that's Windows-only but that you can't live without. Oh and if you take a Mac running Windows into the Apple Store the geniuses (or is that genii) will have a cow :D
    Quackers wrote: »
    So i can play games or apps that are Windows only? The Windows PC will prob not come close to Mac Book in terms of quality, and even being a pure Windows user until last year i would rather have Mac OS X now anyday, even more so now that heap of junk Windows 8 has come out.

Windows 8 is just awful. It looks like Computers for Kids with the big coloured Duplo tiles. I'm glad I switched to Mac when I did and I will never use smelly old Windows again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would use http://www.parallels.com/uk/ you can do some really cleaver stuff like coherence mode where you can run Windows apps but make it look like are running from within the Mac OS. Its worth the cash.
    I would not :)

I have run XP in Parallels and also in VMWare Fusion. Neither comes even remotely close to running Windows natively on the hardware.

In fact I would much rather use something like VNC to remote control a Windows PC from within Mac OS than run a virtual machine! :eek::D
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I would not :)

I have run XP in Parallels and also in VMWare Fusion. Neither comes even remotely close to running Windows natively on the hardware.

In fact I would much rather use something like VNC to remote control a Windows PC from within Mac OS than run a virtual machine! :eek::D

I have a 2011 MacbookPro (dedicated graphics card version) and run a copy of Windows 7 under Parallels and the difference in speed from running natively is not noticable at all unless you're playing the latest games, which I'm not.

The advantage of Parallels rather than running natively is you don't have to keep rebooting from one installation to the other and back again and you can share data between the operating systems. Dont forget if you run WIndows through Bootcamp you wont have full access to your data stores on the MacOS part of the disk (unless you purchase more software)

Negatives of Parallels, it kills the battery quicker as it switches from using the on board graphics to the dedicated card also.

Dont forget you will have to buy a full license for your Windows instalation either way you do it.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    There shouldn't be any issues if you are running natively via Bootcamp. Virtualization options are available that will allow you to run the Windows apps from within OS X but they are unlikely to support the receiver correctly.

Only thing really worth mentioning is you will obviously need your own copy of Windows. On a side note I would personally advise against buying a Macbook since they have been dropped from the lineup a while ago and any you do find floating about will be old stock. A MBP might be a wiser investment.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am typing this on a Retina Macbook Pro with 16gb ram. I am running windows via parallels. I have three windows programs running and a selection of Mac apps open as well. I was using a shady Acer desktop PC at work but decided to use my home mac laptop for everything. I am using the retina display and two external monitors as well.

All I can say is it is a pleasure to use. Windows runs brilliantly. Everything is quick. I wouldn't recommend running a VM for games but for everything else it is great but a modern powerful mac is needed. I would recommend a minimum of 8gb of ram if you want o run a vm of windows and use osx at the same time. I have 16 and it silky smooth. Parallels is well worth the £50-60.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only real advantage left in the macbooks is the trackpad and gesture combination. Much of that benefit is lost if running windows on the mac.

You're not getting much more for your money.

Just look at some of the awesome machines being reported from CES 2013 to see the things you will eventually miss out on by going for a conventional laptop now.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The gestures work on windows if running windows though parallels however the gestures are not quite as smooth.

With all the iOS/osx integration, great build quality, the ability to run windows only programs really well and the awesome customer support from apple I would never buy a Windows PC again.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The only real advantage left in the macbooks is the trackpad and gesture combination. Much of that benefit is lost if running windows on the mac.

You're not getting much more for your money.

Just look at some of the awesome machines being reported from CES 2013 to see the things you will eventually miss out on by going for a conventional laptop now.

Do you have an example ?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Do you have an example ?

http://ultrabooknews.com/tag/ces-2013/
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Do you have an example ?

This is a conventional laptop shown at CES: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2013/01/08/samsung-series-7-ultra-review-first-look/

But with Windows 8, there's plenty of convertibles (Lenovo Yoga 11s), hybrids (screen detaches from keyboard to go from laptop to tablet) etc.

There's a crazy 20 inch panasonic tablet with stylus support and 4K resolution.

There's a windows 8 AIO where the screen undocks from the computer in the base stand and turns into an android tablet etc etc.
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    But with Windows 8, there's plenty of convertibles (Lenovo Yoga 11s), hybrids (screen detaches from keyboard to go from laptop to tablet) etc.

There's a crazy 20 inch panasonic tablet with stylus support and 4K resolution.

There's a windows 8 AIO where the screen undocks from the computer in the base stand and turns into an android tablet etc etc.

Those devices you mentioned are what Apple should have done for their tablet instead of the iPad. Can you imagine an iPad/Macbook Air hybrid with a convertible or detachable screen? Or even an iMac/Macbook which runs OSX and then runs iOS when the screen is detached and used as a tablet. I think it would sell quite well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Only thing really worth mentioning is you will obviously need your own copy of Windows. On a side note I would personally advise against buying a Macbook since they have been dropped from the lineup a while ago and any you do find floating about will be old stock. A MBP might be a wiser investment.

Sorry yes it is a new MBP i'm refering to purchasing.

:)
    Forum Member
    Waffles wrote: »
    Sorry yes it is a new MBP i'm refering to purchasing.

:)

Ordinary one or Retina?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ordinary one or Retina?

Retina.

Does it affect anything? Arn't all new Macbooks intel?
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Retina.

Retina is marketing nonsense for a higher resolution display.

All current Macs are Intel-based.
    Forum Member
    Retina.

No not really. Only difference between normal and Retina is the sharper screen on the Retina MBPs. But if that's the one you want, go for it :D Macs have used Intel chips since 2006. One tip though - if you need an optical drive, you'll have to buy an external one as the Retina Macbook doesn't come with it built in.
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a few more points to add about running Windows on a Mac:

1. You'd need to choose right from the start how you're going to run Windows; either dual booting set up via Boot Camp Assistant, or virtually via Parallels or Fusion. You cannot do both with a single copy of Windows due to Microsoft's licensing restrictions and authentication.

2. Running it virtually is very convenient in not requiring constant rebooting to swap, but even the most powerful of Mac will struggle to cope with anything bar relatively simple games. If that's important to you, you'll need to choose the dual booting route which gives full access to the hardware.

3. If dual booting, Apple provide all the drivers making it very easy to set up, but some of those drivers are rather basic. For instance, the trackpad driver cannot do many of the gestures, is not adjustable and is not as smooth as in OS X. Plus, the power management is rather basic so your battery life will suffer.
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go - another Windows 8/Microsoft bashing thread. :yawn:
    Forum Member
    Y Me wrote: »
    Here we go - another Windows 8/Microsoft bashing thread. :yawn:

Get in there before the fanboys do :p