McAffee LiveSafe Expiry messages ??

About a month ago I bought a new laptop. I also bought and installed McAffee LiveSafe which is supposed to last a year.
I keep getting messages saying "Your McAffee LiveSafe is about to expire. Renew for £19.99"
What's going on ??

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Is it a trial version you bought? If it's for a year you shouldn't have to renew it every month. The best solution might be to uninstall it and then get your money back for the software: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg
  • colin_ansoncolin_anson Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wonder if the program was ever activated initially when it was installed and performed in trial mode. check out the emails and details received from McAfee and follow them again to see if it has been activated.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wonder if the program was ever activated initially when it was installed and performed in trial mode. check out the emails and details received from McAfee and follow them again to see if it has been activated.

I haven't received any emails, the ads appear on my screen.
    It was £19.99 when bought as a package with my laptop.
    On the back of the McAffe pack it says 'McAfee LiveSafe is a 1-year subscription'
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had a look at my McAfee account online and it says "Your trial subscription of McAfee LiveSafe expires on 24/09/14. Buy now for uninterrupted protection"
    When I bought it on 23/08/14, no one in Currys PC World said it was a TRIAL version.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had a look at my McAfee account online and it says "Your trial subscription of McAfee LiveSafe expires on 24/09/14. Buy now for uninterrupted protection"
    When I bought it on 23/08/14, no one in Currys PC World said it was a TRIAL version.

McAfee and Currys. A match made in hell.

Unistall McAfee and get yourself a freeware alternative.
  • colin_ansoncolin_anson Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

sounds like good sense and a program like Avast home would be my choice, without adding further to your costs. its a popular choice and rates well for a freebie. you'll need to register inside a month and its auto after that. but its all free. select the left option of three.
    http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    It was £19.99 when bought as a package with my laptop.

Did you pay £19.99 extra for it ? If so you could try getting your money back (good luck with that) as trials are free.
    They should not have charged you for a trial version of anything unless maybe they gave you a code to keep it active for the year ?

As others have said McAfee is rubbish so if you didn't actually pay the £19.99 then all is well.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

Easily done. Just follow the instructions in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg :D