Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 28)

Comments

• Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What it still boils down to are a bunch of people who abandoned their club because they had a preference against the current owners of it. Whether many of the FC United fans also maintain support for Manchester United doesn't change the principle reason for that 'club' existing.

Hardly surprising from a bunch of fans who can boo Alex Ferguson on the final day of the season because he hasn't 'signed him up' in respect of Tevez. I suspect there's a bit of a cross over between those guys...and these
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Because there are real proper clubs down there with real proper fans. Not people who turn up for the jolly or the publicity. They got far more publicity, attention, and therefore resources than anyone else. They were like the Crewe Alexander of non-league football. Clubs try for decades to climb the leagues. Here comes some spoiled little upstarts bored of winning too many European cups, who come and do it in five minutes.

If I supported a fan of the Ramsbottom, I'd not be pleased.

I can see where you are coming from, and they have found their level, as they were not that impressive this season against my local non-league side (Nantwich Town), so I don't think that they will be going up any higher any time soon.
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    Is football in 2012 better or worse than it was in 1982? Well that depends on what football means to you. Technology has improved the game no end, with improved grounds and pitches, match balls etc. However it has come with a cost.

The stadia are better, they are no all seater and the amount of trouble within the ground is less. The facilities are way better. These have come with a cost.

The actual game is that any better? Well for some teams it is, some teams it isn't. This though has come at a cost..

What is the cost? It's the pricing out of the working class fans what have traditionally been the foundations of the crowds at football matches. Your ordinary fan from the 80's wouldn't be able to afford to watch football today.

Watching United these days is almost at the point where your average joe public working class fan won't be abe to afford to go, if indeed that hasn't already taken place.

This is where FC were founded as well as the take over as they could forsee not only a huge debt being placed ont the club, but also hike in prices to make watching United only available to the middle and upper class fans.

Out of this FC were born, and to be honest I'm with them on that, I'm one of those that were forced out of the club because of the cost of season tickets going up. Plus inside the ground at FC the atmosphere is way better than watching Unitd.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    Is football in 2012 better or worse than it was in 1982? Well that depends on what football means to you. Technology has improved the game no end, with improved grounds and pitches, match balls etc. However it has come with a cost.

The stadia are better, they are no all seater and the amount of trouble within the ground is less. The facilities are way better. These have come with a cost.

The actual game is that any better? Well for some teams it is, some teams it isn't. This though has come at a cost..

What is the cost? It's the pricing out of the working class fans what have traditionally been the foundations of the crowds at football matches. Your ordinary fan from the 80's wouldn't be able to afford to watch football today.

Watching United these days is almost at the point where your average joe public working class fan won't be abe to afford to go, if indeed that hasn't already taken place.

This is where FC were founded as well as the take over as they could forsee not only a huge debt being placed ont the club, but also hike in prices to make watching United only available to the middle and upper class fans.

Out of this FC were born, and to be honest I'm with them on that, I'm one of those that were forced out of the club because of the cost of season tickets going up. Plus inside the ground at FC the atmosphere is way better than watching Unitd.

FC United wasn't born out of people suddenly realising it wasn't 1982 any more. IT was born out of people wanting to get attention on themselves and thinking the Glazer takeover was a best way of doing that.

Ticket prices, as a whole under Glazer, I think have risen the same as what they did in the same period under the PLC.

Even so, how much loyalty does it show to abandon a club immediately on the basis they might put up ticket prices? :confused:
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Bollocks.

Im not with them at all.

Tribec as usual you present a well thought-out and excellent case.

But I'm not having it for one second.

Maybe tomorrow would be a better time to discuss it, I'm kinda tired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Bollocks.

Im not with them at all.

Tribec as usual you present a well thought-out and excellent case.

But I'm not having it for one second.

Maybe tomorrow would be a better time to discuss it, I'm kinda tired.

Your not the only one who's tired. I'm only sticking around as I'd like to be first in the next part, but it ain't going happen and I'm not hanging around for it.... So I'll depart with a video.. I'm in the crowd, just to the left of the stage, all though you won't see me.. I forgot about the stage dive at the end, he landed about 4 people in front of us..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-0UwKboS8
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    gotta agree with the atmosphere at OT, not a patch on a decade ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i see there are no more follow up stories for the £118m offer for Rooney. The papers make up so much crap i cant believe people buy them.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    i see there are no more follow up stories for the £118m offer for Rooney. The papers make up so much crap i cant believe people buy them.

such a complete non-story.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The BBC have it in the Gossip column again but the bid is now stated as £100m.

As for Old Trafford, even a decade ago it was poor. It's never been the same since the introduction the seats to be fair. The odd game now and again picks up, mainly those against Liverpool, Arsenal, City or/and Leeds. However in the years before it was so much fun going to the matches and wondering what the massess would do. I may have been spoilt growing up in the 70's/80's when regardless of all the trouble associated with football, it was still fun to watch. The see of colours the diferent songs etc. Near enough a new song every couple of months if not sooner was sung. Now your lucky to get a new song a season.

The people behind the atmosphere in those days now though are older, perhaps wiser, however the next generation the ones with the energy the imagination, never really took the baton on. Since the introduction of seated stadiums and the price hikes, kids can't roll up on a Saturday morning and wait to pay at the door. When was the last United game you could pay at the door on at Old Trafford? That generation lost, and the next as the increase in ticket prices saw to that as well as the development of technology brought about the play-station, internet generation.

If you went to 5 or 6 high schools and the same number of primary schools within a 5 mile radius of Old Trafford today, and ask how many go regular to watch United, you'd be shocked at how few, and certainly compared to the era I'm talking about.

Rant over for now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    such a complete non-story.

Notice in the papers there running the Nani story again.

Nani is one of them players that when he's hot he's hot but for 30 games a season he's selfish and you can see the rage in Rooneys eyes and the display of affection from him towards Nani.

Personally i'd sell Nani for as much as possible but i suppose he is cover for Young on the left
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The BBC have it in the Gossip column again but the bid is now stated as £100m.

As for Old Trafford, even a decade ago it was poor. It's never been the same since the introduction the seats to be fair. The odd game now and again picks up, mainly those against Liverpool, Arsenal, City or/and Leeds. However in the years before it was so much fun going to the matches and wondering what the massess would do. I may have been spoilt growing up in the 70's/80's when regardless of all the trouble associated with football, it was still fun to watch. The see of colours the diferent songs etc. Near enough a new song every couple of months if not sooner was sung. Now your lucky to get a new song a season.

The people behind the atmosphere in those days now though are older, perhaps wiser, however the next generation the ones with the energy the imagination, never really took the baton on. Since the introduction of seated stadiums and the price hikes, kids can't roll up on a Saturday morning and wait to pay at the door. When was the last United game you could pay at the door on at Old Trafford? That generation lost, and the next as the increase in ticket prices saw to that as well as the development of technology brought about the play-station, internet generation.

If you went to 5 or 6 high schools and the same number of primary schools within a 5 mile radius of Old Trafford today, and ask how many go regular to watch United, you'd be shocked at how few, and certainly compared to the era I'm talking about.

Rant over for now.

We went last season (seem to be going less and less) and i can't believe that despite a couple of us singing the rest were sitting there not intrested, pisses me off when people give you funny looks for singing.

A few older drinking buddies use to be ST holders for a long time then got rejected fa cup final tickets in 96 so new fans could go. They've not been to OT since and now support FC United. Its a buisness now not a football club.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know Batdude gets jealous when I mention talk of the famous Barca game in 84, but when you know the singing and cheers could be heard up to 2 or 3 miles outside of the ground, you know it's rocking. Yes, the grounds been reconfigured since and it's now a bowl which keeps the sound in, but it's nothing like it was that night.

Even though that was extra special, that atmosphere was at least 85-90% of what that was, for most games. Were you to go back in time and tell them that in 30 years time Old Trafford will be full of corporates eating prawn sandwiches and being as silent as a library. With fans having to suggest to the club we have a section of the ground so they can sing, they'd laugh at you and send you to the nearest looney farm.
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    Re Nani: has anyone seen these stats going round twitter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know Batdude gets jealous when I mention talk of the famous Barca game in 84, but when you know the singing and cheers could be heard up to 2 or 3 miles outside of the ground, you know it's rocking. Yes, the grounds been reconfigured since and it's now a bowl which keeps the sound in, but it's nothing like it was that night.

Even though that was extra special, that atmosphere was at least 85-90% of what that was, for most games. Were you to go back in time and tell them that in 30 years time Old Trafford will be full of corporates eating prawn sandwiches and being as silent as a library. With fans having to suggest to the club we have a section of the ground so they can sing, they'd laugh at you and send you to the nearest looney farm.

No atmosphere at OT proves that a season ticket is bragging rights to rich friends not a privlage anymore.

Its sad when away fans make more noise than our home fans:mad: But our away fans make more noise in 45 minutes than a 2 full games at OT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zieler wrote: »
    Re Nani: has anyone seen these stats going round twitter?

LOL @Downing:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone thinking it could be a strong chelsea title charge next season???
  • Options
    TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

AKA Downing N/A. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think they will be right up there with us and City next year, although that depends upon the manager they choose.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is all very well signing players, but until they announce who their manager is (or yes man to Roman), then they are an unknown factor at the moment, as whomever the manager will be actually has to get all these new signings to somehow work together as a unit, and be not just a bunch of pampered individuals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think they will be right up there with us and City next year, although that depends upon the manager they choose.
    It is all very well signing players, but until they announce who their manager is (or yes man to Roman), then they are an unknown factor at the moment, as whomever the manager will be actually has to get all these new signings to somehow work together as a unit, and be not just a bunch of pampered individuals.

i suppose that is very true, AVB was a good manager but needed 2-3 seasons to start getting the best out of players with his mentality towards how football should be played.

Personally i hope they get Pep and lets see how he fairs in english football without messi and Iniesta
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tombstone wrote: »
    AKA Downing N/A. :)

If Ashley Young would have have more minutes he could of helped us win the league. I suppose its all if's and but's.

Thinking the realistic team for next season might be
    De Gea

Rafael --- Rio--- Vidic--- Evra

Carrick
    Fletcher

Valencia
    Young

Kagawa

Rooney
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If Ashley Young would have have more minutes he could of helped us win the league. I suppose its all if's and but's.

Thinking the realistic team for next season might be
    De Gea

Rafael --- Evans--- Vidic--- Evra

Anderson
    Cleverley

Valencia
    Young

Kagawa

Rooney

A lot of hope that Fletcher will be back, and also I don't like the idea of Rio and Vidic either....

Now if Anderson is still at the club, then perhaps this could be the starting line up if Kagawa is around. However they are both big IF'S.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A lot of hope that Fletcher will be back, and also I don't like the idea of Rio and Vidic either....

Now if Anderson is still at the club, then perhaps this could be the starting line up if Kagawa is around. However they are both big IF'S.

The problem with that sort of line up is that the midfield has no-one who can really tackle. It would be awesome when in possession, but would leave the defense badly exposed.
  • Options
    skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    The problem with that sort of line up is that the midfield has no-one who can really tackle. It would be awesome when in possession, but would leave the defense badly exposed.

as happened in the early part of the season when we were ripping teams apart but still letting far too many chances against us at the same time

Has anyone read Cantona: The Rebel Who Would Be King?

Just browsing around some biographies to read but this wasnt written by him so dont know if it will be any good or just a collection of quotes and media stories
This discussion has been closed.