FM stations with excellent signal which gets out further than its TSA area

Comments

• redcar1redcar1 Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack-UK wrote: »
    Metro Radio on 97.1 (10 KW, Burnhope) is also strong, but it's usually lost to Stray FM (97.2, Harrogate) when you go past the North York moors. Although Metro has a stronger power I think TFM still gets out further.

Metro's signal is strongly nulled to the south so it is relatively weak except near the coast. This is easy to show by comparing it to Durham FM (now Star) on 102.8MHz which is often nearly as strong despite having 1/20 Metro's maximum erp, but beamed south east.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive heard Pirate FM Redruth in the Lake District on a car radio whilst parked at the top of one of the passes before now :D

96.8 Radio Borders gets out well into the North Pennines and can be heard even in none lift conditions easy as anything around the Alston - Middleton in Teesdale areas - unless you are in the bottom of one of the valleys around there.....
  • PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Jackie 107.8 gets out way beyond S.W. London. Any more power and they'd be a Greater London wide station! :rolleyes:
  • mailmos98mailmos98 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    This thread is re-awakening my DX'ing tendencies that I've supressed for many years!

Seriously, does anyone know a good aerial rigger who could sort out my aerial rotator? The wires have disconnected and it hopefully just needs reconnecting. However, its not been working for a couple of years so it may need a good checking out. Being disabled, I cant do it myself.

I just want someone around Manchester who could sort it out at a reasonable price.
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Powerplay wrote: »
    Radio Jackie 107.8 gets out way beyond S.W. London. Any more power and they'd be a Greater London wide station! :rolleyes:
    Indeed, car radio is able to pick it up near Hindhead! :eek:
    You can also get it in Primrose Hill crystal clear in glorious stereo, but no surprise there really.
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silk FM does OK for a tiddly little local station - it can be heard right across Manchester and Liverpool, into the North Wales coast, down through Staffordshire and as far up the M6 as East Lancashire.

It has a TSA of around 180,000 but must reach an area of over three million people because its rural coverage area is surrounded by urban sprawl.

I've never been too impressed with Alsager's Bank as a tx site; while it throws a weak signal a long way north, it doesn't adequately cover the area it's meant to - Signal and Radio Stoke have big holes in coverage around the Potteries and south Cheshire.

Further north, you seem to be able to catch Northsound 1 and its neighbour Original Aberdeen in most coastal locations from Northumberland to Caithness.
  • metal cassettemetal cassette Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    It can be received in North London but only when the local pirates are off air. Unfortunately it is sometimes impossible to do any DXing on the FM band in places like Tottenham because the whole of the band is clogged up with pirates which even manage to interfere with local stations such as LBC. It is something that needs to be dealt with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Heart 96.3 (North Wales Coast) can be easily picked up on parts of the Fylde, particularly Fleetwood, where it has a stronger signal than nearer north west stations. Signal 1 travels for miles around too, as does the Revolution 96.2 and BBC Leeds 92.4/Sheffield 104.9.
  • derk weaselderk weasel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    while traveling south along the A1 i was listening to Trent FM 96.2 (nottingham) and i was still receiving a good signal just north of stamford.
    it was still just about audible in the north western part of peterborough A47
  • PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the biggest commercial radio signals in England has to be from Kiss 106.4 from Mendlesham in Suffolk!

It can be heard over most of the East of England from that 1 transmitter alone, never mind the fillers. Mendlesham is one of the highest mast structures in the UK standing at 1,100ft! The broadcast antennas are right at the very top and are very high gain. There is a null to the East, with the max. signal being beamed West with an ERP of 20kW!

In the car during normal conditions you can hear 106.4 as far West as Bedford, which is 90 miles from the mast. Then as you get past Milton Keynes and on into Oxfordshire, the signal comes back again!
  • Presenter100Presenter100 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst driving back to Telford I've encountered Beacon on 103.1 on the A14 between Kettering and the M6, Also in Derby and as far north as Congleton, before key 103 butts in!

Anyone know what power they kick out on 103.1?
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i live in Doncaster and i can get 104.7 Minster FM and 96.9 Viking FM very clear.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst driving back to Telford I've encountered Beacon on 103.1 on the A14 between Kettering and the M6, Also in Derby and as far north as Congleton, before key 103 butts in!

Anyone know what power they kick out on 103.1?

2.7 kW from The Wrekin
  • Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigtopping wrote: »
    BBC Leeds 92.4/Sheffield 104.9.

BBC Sheffield is on 104.1 FM
  • derk weaselderk weasel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think one of the biggest commercial radio signals in England has to be from Kiss 106.4 from Mendlesham in Suffolk!

It can be heard over most of the East of England from that 1 transmitter alone, never mind the fillers. Mendlesham is one of the highest mast structures in the UK standing at 1,100ft! The broadcast antennas are right at the very top and are very high gain. There is a null to the East, with the max. signal being beamed West with an ERP of 20kW!

In the car during normal conditions you can hear 106.4 as far West as Bedford, which is 90 miles from the mast. Then as you get past Milton Keynes and on into Oxfordshire, the signal comes back again!

kiss on 106.4 can be heard fine with RDS in peterborough
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kiss on 106.4 can be heard fine with RDS in peterborough

Yes apart from the North East coast who have galaxy or other station around 106.4 but if its clear it can get out for miles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I used to be ab;e to pick up the Eagle or county sound as it was back then , I was living in the Southampton areaat the time , i could also pick up Capital in stereo crystal clear , LBC , bbc radio London , I could get bbc radio jersey , southern sound from brighton invicta , only extra thing i had was a length of wire round the bedroom wall attached to the end of the telescopic aerial on my radio cassette .
    those were the days .

I live in doncaster now and get get TFM from stockton on my car radio which is a fair way from here
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be able to pick up Orchard absolutely fine in South Wales.

Similarly me and my missus listened to Real Radio Wales almost all the way to Exeter a couple of summers ago.
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    102.7, the Radio Leeds filler for Keighley, gets out a lot further than it should.

Many BBC Locals have tx patterns that are not ideas because historically they have had to be broadcast from existing sites. Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds are all broadcast from Holme Moss a transmitter in a corner of the TSA is going to travel further than a lower powered tx in the centre of the TSA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I think Kiss 106.4 has quite a good signal, can be clearly picked up in doddington (near sittingbourne kent)
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been touched on in an earlier post, but I'm in SE Northumberland and on a bog standard transistor radio I can pick up TFM quite clearly.

I'm presuming that Northumberland isn't TFM's target area!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I think Kiss 101 has a good Transmitter (Mendip) broadcast on 101 across wales into parts of Devon, Bristol,Wiltshire,Somerset and beyond
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kiss 101 has a good Transmitter (Mendip) broadcast on 101 across wales into parts of Devon, Bristol,Wiltshire,Somerset and beyond

Isn't Kiss 101 the most powerful radio transmitter in the UK?

Although you are right it's a beast I've picked it up from Swansea to Swindon and up the M5 to Birmingham.:)
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Devon on 103.4MHz from North Hessary Tor blasts it's signal far and wide, possibly due to the site being very high up on the moors!! :eek:

Station can be heard all the way from Penzance in Cornwall (95-odd miles away) right up to within 15-20 miles of Bristol!! :eek:
  • wandsworthwillwandsworthwill Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    BBC Solent 96.1 from Rowridge IOW booms into a lot of Somerset.