Options

is britney spears the most well known female popstar?

13»

Comments

• Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Kylie is very well known and comes to mind often, she is right behind Madonna for the 'older people'.

balls :D my granddaughter knows her and she is 11, and it aint from being played in my house
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just quoted your post.

sorry:o
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they mean Britney has released songs in 90s, 00s, 10s (three decades) as opposed to three decades being 30 years.

Thanks, that's what I meant!!
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Kylie is very well known and comes to mind often, she is right behind Madonna for the 'older people'.

For someone who accused me of being agist, you now seem to be agreeing with me about age being an issue.............:D
  • Options
    kyleeekyleee Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I would say britney is well known, however, she is behind Kylie and Madonna. Everyone knows Madonnas the queen and kylie the princess of pop.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that title belongs to Madge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna, Kylie and then Britney. All the rest haven't been around long enough yet. Kylie was the 1st to have #1 albums in each of the past 4 decades and then Madonna. I can remember when Kylie first hit the music scene (and before with Neighbours), it was absolute mayhem. Only Madonna had had that sense of stardom in the UK.
    I have to say also that it's only Madonna and Kylie who seem to have the capacity to genuinely change direction. All of the rest are still the doing the same now as they were when they first started. Which isn't a good thing for genuine longevity...
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archangel wrote: »
    Madonna, Kylie and then Britney. All the rest haven't been around long enough yet. Kylie was the 1st to have #1 albums in each of the past 4 decades and then Madonna. I can remember when Kylie first hit the music scene (and before with Neighbours), it was absolute mayhem. Only Madonna had had that sense of stardom in the UK.
    I have to say also that it's only Madonna and Kylie who seem to have the capacity to genuinely change direction. All of the rest are still the doing the same now as they were when they first started. Which isn't a good thing for genuine longevity...

I was at school and I still remember our music teacher saying it was a sad day for music the week after 'I Should Be So Lucky' got to number 1 - she was right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say Madonna, Janet Jackson, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, then Kylie. People undersetimate Janet Jackson's popularity and legacy. She has sold over 100 million records. She is right after Madonna.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought Rihanna and Beyonce are known the world over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Not right now. She used to be, though. From 1999 to 2001, I don't think anybody could compete with her. Then in 2002, it was Christina's time, in 2003 it was Beyonce's time, then it was GaGa, now it's Rihanna. That doesn't mean she's not successful, it just means she's past her peak and that's normal. She had a GREAT run.
  • Options
    HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie Minogue, no way, she's nowhere near in the same league of superstardom as Madonna and Britney. Britney completely stole her crown as the 'princess of pop' back in 1999. The Queen and Princess are Madonna and Britney, respectively.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Along with Beyonce & Gaga.
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Age wise, I do believe that Lady Gaga is the most well known as (previously stated) old people, middle people and young people know (of) her at least.
    Madonna for old and middle but not for young and everyone else not for the old :))

So Lady Gaga I would say is the most well-known :)

Wow, then 20 years old has to be old or middle for you, right? Because me (being 20 right now) and everyone of my friends and acquaitances of similar age is very well aware of who Madonna is and they recognize her music as well.

Dont try to act as if our generation is totally ignorant of older music. We rediscover and appreciate older acts just like the generations before us did, not to mention that its almost impossible to ignore music giants with huge cultural impact as Madonna, MJ, Elvis, Beatles and so on. We are not living under a rock, you know.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I would have thought Rihanna and Beyonce are known the world over.

Pretty much what I thought.
  • Options
    Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol. No.
  • Options
    newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    HelloRain wrote: »
    Kylie Minogue, no way, she's nowhere near in the same league of superstardom as Madonna and Britney. Britney completely stole her crown as the 'princess of pop' back in 1999. The Queen and Princess are Madonna and Britney, respectively.

Not in my world, they're not. Madonna remains the Queen - purely because she was the first to be crowned it. And Kylie is the Princess because she was also the first to be crowned it. Like all royalty, nobody has the power to "steal" those crowns until either of them dies or abdicates (i.e. stops making records).

As for the answer to the OP's question, it depends on who you ask. There's no way to tell who is most well known for certain so we're left with either guesses or opinions. And my guess and opinion is that Britney Spears is NOT the most well known female pop star.
  • Options
    HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newplanet wrote: »
    Not in my world, they're not. Madonna remains the Queen - purely because she was the first to be crowned it. And Kylie is the Princess because she was also the first to be crowned it. Like all royalty, nobody has the power to "steal" those crowns until either of them dies or abdicates (i.e. stops making records).

As for the answer to the OP's question, it depends on who you ask. There's no way to tell who is most well known for certain so we're left with either guesses or opinions. And my guess and opinion is that Britney Spears is NOT the most well known female pop star.

Britney is a bigger, more well known and iconic pop star than Kylie Minogue. Kylie was crowned the Princess of Pop in the UK and Australia. She's a non-entity in the US, so Britney was the first one to get that title there. When you take into account objective facts such as success, media coverage, and impact, Britney leaves Kylie trailing in the dust.

Madonna and Britney are the most well known and successful solo female pop stars of the last 30 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard Kylie called the Princess of Pop tbh. The only time I hear that title is in association with Britney.

I like Kylie alot but as someone else said, she has never been on the same level globally as Madonna or Britney were at their peaks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my 8 year old niece has heard of Britney but not Kylie and Madonna

I personally think Britney and Madonna are the most known pop stars ever
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares? Yeah it would probably be either her or Madonna....but it does change from generation to generation.

It's so cringey seeing the words "queen" and "princess"....:D
  • Options
    newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Britney is a bigger, more well known and iconic pop star than Kylie Minogue.

But, how exactly do you know this? What makes “bigger”, how do you define “well-known” and what exactly do you mean by “iconic”? Does everyone else agree with how you personally define bigger/well-known/iconic? Have you collected all the facts which prove your assumption is true or have you asked everyone else for their opinion on who is biggest/most well-known and most iconic based on those definitions?
    Kylie was crowned the Princess of Pop in the UK and Australia. She's a non-entity in the US, so Britney was the first one to get that title there.

I was actually making a point that any one of us arguing who is the Queen of Pop and who is the Princess of pop goes for nothing. It all comes down to personal preference. In my world, Britney has never EVER come close to stealing Kylie’s crown.
    When you take into account objective facts such as success, media coverage, and impact, Britney leaves Kylie trailing in the dust.

Well, for starters, impact is subjective. But if you think it’s objective, I’d be interested in finding out how to measure it – and whether a study has ever been done on Kylie’s impact vs. Britneys. Or Britney’s vs. anyone else for that matter. As for the rest, how do you define “success” and what are their respective figures re: media coverage? These statements go for nothing unless you can *prove* it.
    Madonna and Britney are the most well known and successful solo female pop stars of the last 30 years.

Like I say, that depends on who you ask and I believe it’s almost impossible to prove, so all we’re left with is opinion based on guess work. And my opinion is this – Britney is not the world’s most well known pop star.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emm I'd say the most famous in general in the UK from 1 - 10 are

1. Madonna
    2. Britney Spears
    3. Kylie Minogue
    4. Lady Gaga
    5. Christina Aguilera
    6. Beyonce
    7. Mariah Carey
    8. Jennifer Lopez
    9. Pink
    10. Katy Perry
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, Madonna is.
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna is a lot more known worldwide and has massive world wide number 1s every year. Rihanna is the biggest pop star on the planet