[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    http://www.yousign.org/en/savedw50from1dday

they shall rue the day my friends
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As usual ITV just employ the old 'lets chuck on something relatively cheap but hugely populist' technique and as they've run out of Harry Potter films this was probably next best/worst thing. Won't harm DW one bit. One Direction are a 'phenomenon' but mostly in the US and internationally. There record sales and chart positions in the UK are actually fairly mundane and don't support the Beatle mania style media storm that Cowells hype factory tries to paint them as. Hell they aren't even as big as 5ive were in their time. It'll just result in a few silly people making the wrong choice and having to watch on catch up and a few temper tantrums in living rooms when mum and dad put their foot down and insist on Who.

As for stealing thunder no chance. Maybe among gutter media like TV quick and the Mail and Hest. But everyone else knows what day that will be and who it belongs to. Its like Rihanna declaring Christmas day Rihanna day. Tacky and they're not fooling anyone.
  • Options
    TheCatsMeaowTheCatsMeaow Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    As long as me and my family can watch the episode and celebrate the anniversary in our own way, I could not care less what the rest of the world is watching.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual ITV just employ the old 'lets chuck on something relatively cheap but hugely populist' technique and as they've run out of Harry Potter films this was probably next best/worst thing. Won't harm DW one bit. One Direction are a 'phenomenon' but mostly in the US and internationally. There record sales and chart positions in the UK are actually fairly mundane and don't support the Beatle mania style media storm that Cowells hype factory tries to paint them as. Hell they aren't even as big as 5ive were in their time. It'll just result in a few silly people making the wrong choice and having to watch on catch up and a few temper tantrums in living rooms when mum and dad put their foot down and insist on Who.

As for stealing thunder no chance. Maybe among gutter media like TV quick and the Mail and Hest. But everyone else knows what day that will be and who it belongs to. Its like Rihanna declaring Christmas day Rihanna day. Tacky and they're not fooling anyone.

Y'know, with the various viewing platforms these days, I'm not sure it will matter that much.

The old days of ITV/BBC head to head, seem to be next day fodder for tabloids, they don't seem to be that important for the overall success or failure for a broadcast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    yea, these days bbc and itv dont really compete against each other, come dancing finishes around the same time as dancing on ice (i think) starts on itv and if one has a drama on, the other chooses a diff genre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yea, these days bbc and itv dont really compete against each other, come dancing finishes around the same time as dancing on ice (i think) starts on itv and if one has a drama on, the other chooses a diff genre.

The audience for 1D will grow up and move on.

The audience for Dr Who refuses to grow up or move on.

And long may it continue :D
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »

Oh come on don't turn this into a bashing session after all if it works out some of us maybe able to see the day of the doctor at the cinema and as for us DW fans not grown up it's the age old augment that some people that are not into Scfi use to critise Scfi fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »
    Oh come on don't turn this into a bashing session after all if it works out some of us maybe able to see the day of the doctor at the cinema and as for us DW fans not grown up it's the age old augment that some people that are not into Scfi use to critise Scfi fans.

Um, did you read the third line of my post? My comment was celebratory.

Crikey, there are some dark souls here.
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um, did you read the third line of my post? My comment was celebratory.

Crikey, there are some dark souls here.

Sorry about that I jumped to the wrong conclusion there
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And so say all of us. :D
  • Options
    craig_joesoncraig_joeson Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    gotta remeber 1D are dumb ****s a buck of biys who dumbed education and sough for easy life in fame and fortune think education is no longer needed and doctor who are more intelligent where as 1D are dumb ****s who think the US is all be it and that and become US citiznes also they have no education and are bad influence on young kids saying that eduication is not needed just go on relaity tv and easy life become singers and dancers and cliam fame and fortune also they appear on US teens show whom will not be mention then date US teens on these US teens shows as u do that they are cheap and plastic and no use dumb ****s the lot anyway
  • Options
    craig_joesoncraig_joeson Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    these idiots are the reason kids today ditich education and appear on relaity tv or move to US and appear on US teen shows thinking that easy life easy money and all that fame and fortune should have not been born in the first place

this makes me mad that both DW 50th sacred and more clever than these idiots as they are cheap and plastic and dumb ****ery no brains shouldnt have been born nor shouldnt exisit or move the day
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What in the hell did I read above? Seriously, if you are to mock people's education etc, at least show you've had an education...

I do not see the issue with this, if this is ITV plan to maintain their ratings then good for them. At the end of the day, they still have their own business to take care off and if the One Direction thing is the best then good luck to them. Althought naming it 1D Day is bound to cause a stir once its gets nearer to the day and the press have little to no stories to fill their front pages.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll definitely be going One Direction... straight to BBC to watch the 50th special.

That was an absolutely awful, awful joke. I apologize.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    I'll definitely be going One Direction... straight to BBC to watch the 50th special.

That was an absolutely awful, awful joke. I apologize.

Looks like you've hit rock bottom with that one.

But at least you've only got "One Direction" to go in now.

Ha ha ho!

No?

As in up. Only go up. Like in, no where to go, but up. One Direction? The Direction is up? No?

I'm sorry :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like you've hit rock bottom with that one.

But at least you've only got "One Direction" to go in now.

Ha ha ho!

No?

As in up. Only go up. Like in, no where to go, but up. One Direction? The Direction is up? No?

I'm sorry :o

Right now, I have a new direction.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep OT please. Frivolity is frowned upon. :mad: ;)

When I heard this news, wondered whether my niece (11 year old 1D/Doctor Who fan) would be conflicted, but she'll see 'The Day of The Badger' whatever at some point so no biggie.

She's intelligent and will make the right choice on the day, I'm sure.