Looking to start watching BBUSA...What seasons do you recommend?

2»

Comments

• dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

I was gonna watch BB2 but I ended up watching the first episode of BB6. I liked it, so different to BBUK - lol @ how early they form alliances and 'stick together' etc. I'll post here my thoughts on BB6.

Only downside is 3 months of footage in 30 shows so feels like I'll miss loads of in house stuff.
  • JackkJackk Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    6 is an amazing season :D
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6 is a good season. Ups and downs but in many ways I loved it all even the people I didn't like really made it work.

Yeah with 30 episodes a lot of house stuff is edited out, they have 24/7 live feed online unlike UK so the hardcore fans watch all the action there. This show is all about the gameplay and the fun chats are often not included in the episodes if there was tons of gaming going on.

Also with no weekly task they don't really get up to much outside of the comps, last season were particularly lazy and dirty, more so than other seasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I recommend BB2 - it was my fav season - plus if you watch an AllStars, you've got to see Dr.Will in his glory.

BB6, I *loved* some of the characters but hated how the game played out so it's not my fav.

I think I missed all or part of BB10 with Dan Gheesling & need to see that. I found him amazing as a coach in a later series.

It's kind of important to watch the game evolve also. At first there wasn't a jury house & then they realized that wasn't fair to the players for the voters to have access to the diary room entries.

POV changed dramatically after players found a way to gang up & to back door someone.

I love BB but hated US BB1 & literally forced myself to watch it years after it aired & half of it was *so* boring, after getting to know the characters it was more interesting but the first half didn't make it worth watching. I'm sure the live feeds helped make the show what it was but just the TV series, not worth it.
  • RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said before, BB2, BB3, BB6, BB10, and BB11 are the musts.

If you want big characters, drama, arguments then BB11 definitely. That season is amazing and I appreciate it more with each passing year.

Best for strategy is BB3 and BB10.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,427
    Forum Member
    I really don't understand why everyone hates on BB9 so much? I actually quite liked it.. :o:o and i actually liked the couples twist at the beginning. BB9 is definitely not the best out of all the seasons but it has a lot of drama, big characters, big arguments.. The only thing that ruined it was the winner.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    I really don't understand why everyone hates on BB9 so much? I actually quite liked it.. :o:o and i actually liked the couples twist at the beginning. BB9 is definitely not the best out of all the seasons but it has a lot of drama, big characters, big arguments.. The only thing that ruined it was the winner.

I asked why it was not liked earlier this season.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1830480

I liked it also. but it seems most thought the cast was unlikable, but compared to the ghastly cast of 15, the cast of nine are bloody saints.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think BB3 is a good starting point. Not much controversy and definitely enjoyable though the season did end on a low. Also good if your looking to familiarize yourself with BBUS-style strategizing.

The only seasons I wouldn't recommend starting with are 1 and 15. Season 1 has the same BB format as BBUK and BB15 was extremely controversial as a majority of the cast was just vile.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB3, BB6, BB7 and BB10 are THE CLASSICS.

Make sure you watch them. They have some of the best players ever.
  • sammyvansammyvan Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have recently watched seasons BB2 up to BB7 [ all stars ] which I am enjoying at the moment. I think you have to start with BB2, missing Will would be a tragedy!
    Everyone here mentions BB6 as being one of the best - I hated it! This mainly because I could not enjoy watching some of the cast - my blood pressure just would not take it. Eric made me scream at the screen, disliked Ivette, April and Jennifer right thru the series and loved Jannelle and Kayser. I can see why it appears so often on people's 'Best' season to watch though.
    Take care when watching any of the seasons on YouTube - never ever read the comments below the video - so often there are spoilers!! Not interested in finding out the outcome before watching.
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only watched since Big Brother 12, but I'm itching for series two of Canada's to start, and since there's still a month to go before that starts, I think I'm gonna go and 'catch up' on one of the earlier series; it makes sense since there's roughly 35 episodes per series. One a night is easily doable for me - I won't be surprised if I finish the series in two weeks :D

12 is okay. Nothing much happens game wise, but it's the least manipulated series out of the four series I've watched. Personally, I prefer that over manipulating situations to allow for X to go home or Y to stay. If they're not going to allow it to play out naturally, what's the point in the game? It didn't play out how I wanted it to, but I appreciate that the producers kept out of it and let it play out naturally.

13 is a great series up until the final six. WHAT A FIX! Pandora's Box, the veto competition and then the HOH competition after sixth place is eliminated is such a fix for THAT person. I really don't understand why they did that. The series was great up until that point, and it was interesting having the newbies all form back together again to take down the remaining veterans, only for the producers to get scared and make sure the competitions are in the veterans favour as much as possible. The series turned into a joke, but up until that point, I enjoyed it a lot.

14 is rubbish. The house was full of floaters, nobody wanted to play the game. I don't know whether the mentor twist had something to do with that, as the newbies had to change any game they were going to play and start taking orders from a mentor, but even once that twist was over, nobody seemed like they wanted to play. It seems to be loved by everyone else, though, so I'm interested in going back and seeing if I feel any differently about it now. Once again, the manipulation for this series was a joke. Once the game reset, they allowed the two nominees to remain in the game, but not once was this mentioned to us. Ridiculous.

15 is... I don't know. I don't know what to make of this series. I sort of have love and hate feelings towards it. Too many of the contestants were too afraid to go against Amanda, and having so many of those in the house didn't make it great to watch. I wanted people to stand up and fight her, but nobody would. The majority of them were unlikeable - nobody to root for. The very few decent contestants who you could relate to and were worth rooting for were all picked off early on, except one, who didn't go far enough! The manipulation was limited this series which is always a plus.

TL;DR version, and in order of how I rate them:
    12 - It's a bit predictable in the sense that there's no massive game changing moves, but it's the least manipulated - the producers let it play out naturally. There's a few decent arguments and it's a good cast, although none of them see the obvious which is frustrating and very stupid of them!
    15 - Love to hate it/hate to love it. I don't know. Very disappointing final five. Only second by default because I really dislike 13 and 14.
    13 - Purely for the first half. From the final six, it was atrocious. So rigged.
    14 - Dull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I finally got round to watching Big Brother 2 and it's the biggest let down ever.

I'm 12 episodes in and I don't understand the Will love at all. As for everyone on here rating it as one of the best series?! Doesn't give me much hope for series 3 - 11.

The episodes are such a drag with nothing much happening in them.
    Apart from the first week where the plan backfired on Mike, it's all been rather tedious.

There's still over half way to go though so I'm trying to keep an open mind, but the first half's been a huge disappointment after reading nothing but love for it on here.
  • freddieaxlfreddieaxl Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    Well, I finally got round to watching Big Brother 2 and it's the biggest let down ever..

I've never been interested in BB2. Will imo is amazing in all-stars but without the veto Big Brother 2 is kind of dull.

I havent actually seen BB2-5, imo BB6 is amazing. I started there and I love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    freddieaxl wrote: »
    I've never been interested in BB2. Will imo is amazing in all-stars but without the veto Big Brother 2 is kind of dull.

I havent actually seen BB2-5, imo BB6 is amazing. I started there and I love it.

Yes, the middle episode is the one I dread the most. I'm okay with the live episodes as they're a bit different and don't have pointless filler in them, and in the next episode the new HoH spices things up a bit, but the middle episode, nothing much happens at all and I just find myself counting down the time until it's over.

It would help if I liked some of the houseguests. I don't find any of them particularly interesting except maybe Nicole.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I find BB2 and BB3 quite boring. I can understand why people like them as they as the most 'pure' in a game playing sense, and things were less manipulated then. They are both quite slow looking back, especially BB2 without the veto.

BB4 had Alison. I liked it, but when I tried to watch it again it seemed very boring.

]From the early ones I quite like BB5. For Jase, Diane, Nakomis, and the train wreck that is Holly.:D

BB6 is my favourite series. It's anything but boring. The only bad thing I can say is that it's a bit one-dimensional in terms of the good guys and bad guys.

BB7 is okay. I would watch it after BB6 if you enjoyed that. Though it has players from BB1-BB5 the way the series plays out is quite BB6 heavy.

BB8 was a frustrating year with a lot of crap players. It's also heavily manipulated. But it's probably worth watching for the amazing Jen, and even the Donatos brought something.

BB9 was just a mess in lots of ways. I'd give it a miss unless you are a big fan of the show by this point.

BB10 is highly regarded. I found it a bit boring, but it's a solid series and worth watching.

BB11 is quite train-wrecky and entertaining. A lot of big and hot mess characters. It's worth watching.

BB12 is only really good for the part that Rachel plays. Other than her, it's one of the worst.

BB13 is good. It does get terrible towards the end, but that's only the last few episodes. It's got a bit of a BB6 / BB11 feel with the house divide.

BB14 is bad for the first half, then it gets pretty good. A slow burner.

BB15 is bad though entertaining at the same time. I wouldn't avoid it completely but it will annoy you.:D

I would say, if you found BB2 boring I would skip straight to BB6 and see if it grabs you. If so, you can pick and choose whichever seasons you enjoy after that (possibly BB7 if you REALLY liked it). If you still don't like it, the show probably isn't for you. Also I'd be careful with BB13, BB14 and BB7 of course as it features returning players so it would spoil you how they performed in their original seasons. BB1 is one you definitely skip as it wasn't even the same show back then, and I think you'd struggle to find the episodes anyway.