Daily Mail front page for tomorrow - Vile product of Welfare UK (Mick Philpott)

Comments

• northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unforgiven wrote: »
    Evil, nasty piece of work,

Yes, but Paul Dacre keeps getting away with it.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen Jones is throwing a wobbler on Twitter over this.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think we are too close to April fools day for that to be real
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see a problem with it myself.

They are evil people, can't wrap that up in cotton candy.

I think the front page is fair enough as well. Each paper will tell the story in a way their readers will relate to it.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    This could be another Stephen Gateley incident, Twitter users are getting in touch with the front desk and advertisers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Sooner Press Regulation comes in the better.

Its freedom of speech, they haven't libelled anyone or invaded their privacy.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I think the front page is fair enough as well. Each paper will tell the story in a way their readers will relate to it.

The DM editor can't have a very high opinion of the readers if this is what they think they want to see. Should we also have this opinion of them?
    Forum Member
    Its freedom of speech, they haven't libelled anyone or invaded their privacy.

No but they are implying that everyone claiming some sort of benefit has the potential to be a child killer, thats what people will read into, its stigmatising and hateful at the very least and of course inciting hatred, this is abuse of the right to a free press and what Leveson wants to take away not to mention they used a photo of the dead children, its not clear or precise either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    The DM editor can't have a very high opinion of the readers if this is what they think they want to see. Should we also have this opinion of them?

Its a free country, you can think and say what you like about Daily Mail readers.

According to that bloke on Sky papers review, Philpot was on Jeremy Kyle and a documentary on welfare, so there is a link.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mick-philpott-profile-evil-dad-1798391
    1 Dad-of-17 Mick Philpott appeared on ITV’s Jeremy Kyle Show and Ann Widdecombe Versus the Benefit Culture
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »

The guests on the Sky News press preview have just made the astonishing observation that the Daily Mail, by making this "connection" are tapping into the mindset of their readers.
    So it is not just the vile and disgusting attitude of a few journalists that we need to worry about.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    No but they are implying that everyone claiming some sort of benefit has the potential to be a child killer, thats what people will read into, its stigmatising and hateful at the very least and of course inciting hatred, this is abuse of the right to a free press and what Leveson wants to take away not to mention they used a photo of the dead children, its not clear or precise either.

To be fair it says he fathered 17 kids and his seems to be a self promoting model for all that is wrong with the welfare state. No one is going to compare him with some one with a wife and two kids who is on JSA and been out of work for a short while due to the recession etc.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will they stop at nothing to attack the poor.

They are even using the deaths of innocent children now.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair it says he fathered 17 kids and his seems to be a self promoting model for all that is wrong with the welfare state. No one is going to compare him with some one with a wife and two kids who is on JSA and been out of work for a short while due to the recession etc.
    The past few years have been a constant vilification of anyone not working or on low wages.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When someone convicted of a crime happens to be working, are we going to have the headline 'Vile product of employed capitalist Britain'.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They don't need to. The daily mail has created the connection for them in letters six inches tall.

Even for the mail this is scraping the barrel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    They are even using the deaths of innocent children now.
    What's wrong with that? As we have learnt from Gove-rment reforms, the only important people in the education system are parents. If the parents decide not to help their children then the Gove-rment washes it's hands of them and blames the child for choosing the wrong parents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Does anyone really think he'd have sired 17 kids if he wasn't well paid to?
    He's stabbed, allegedly raped, and now slaughtered six children- and we supported him finacially all the way. His sense of entitlement to whatever he can get is well evidenced by the ASDA vouchers story - where did he get that feeling that anything he wants is up for grabs? Why. from living off the rest of us for all these years, no matter how vile he was.
    It would be wrong to infer that all on benefits are like him - but there is a point to be made about the lifestyle the state allowed him.

Funnily enough, evil people tend to think that whatever they want is up for grabs and don't consider others who get in their way. It has little to do with whether or not they are on benefits. Child killer Beverly Allitt was a nurse. Does that mean all nurses are capable of her crimes? How about Fred West? He was a builder. Does that mean all builders kidnap and murder women?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am speechless and I feel ill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    The past few years have been a constant vilification of anyone not working or on low wages.

The difference is, in my example that person will have paid tax's and made contributions. I haven't followed this story, but I assume he has never worked, paid any tax or contributions.
    He is also had a huge family that he could never afford without the welfare state. It is sensible to cap benefits and bring it in to line with workers, because it means more to go round and will make the public feel the system is more fair, which will reduce the animosity that you are concerned about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference is, in my example that person will have paid tax's and made contributions.
    Doesn't matter - the vilification has been of everyone, even people IN work who receive benefits based on their income (or lack thereof)
    Forum Member

Never underestimate the power of stupidity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't need to. The daily mail has created the connection for them in letters six inches tall.

Even for the mail this is scraping the barrel.

I just don't think that's what people will think. I think they are smart enough to differentiate. The state should pay for the first two children and no more. That's what's going to happen so we may as well get used to it. This guy should have had to pay the rest himself or be forced to work to pay his costs. When he has no money left for beer or cigarettes, maybe then he would have understood that he has to be more socially responsible.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but Paul Dacre keeps getting away with it.
    I think a strongly worded complaint to the Chair of the Press Complaints Commission is in order.
    Oh wait... Paul Dacre IS the Chair of the PCC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Doesn't matter - the vilification has been of everyone, even people IN work who receive benefits based on their income (or lack thereof)

He is an extreme example of what's wrong with the welfare system. If the system is changed so people like him can not do what they do, then that should benefit everybody.