Options

Should voting be a legal requirement?

Comments

• Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no, because so many people don't have a clue about the parties and what they stand for. it's bad enough that folk like that do vote now without introducing more people who don't know and don't care, who could end up voting in parties like UKIP or BNP as a protest vote

in addition to that, there are many people who don't like any of the current parties so don't want to support them

a spoiler vote is just a waste of time, so it's better avoiding all the situations above by letting people have a democratic right not to vote, and not force them to do things they don't want to do and don't know about which can only lead to problems

it's just a stupid idea that's not been thought out properly
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's an illogical "argument".

The same types of people vote every time, so the same sort of MP's get elected.

If everyone voted, it would give a better chance to other parties to get in.

why would forcing people to vote produce any different result? Are you saying all those who don't vote would vote for a different party?

Polling with a 1000 people, give a 3% margin of error. You could say 10000 people is more than enough to get a clear vote done. The rest can watch TV and be happy not caring if Nick Clegg is in Bed with Ed Miliband or not.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Considering people fought for the right to vote.
    Should voting in an election be compulsory?

Yes. 100%

Fine or prison for non-compliance
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    no, because so many people don't have a clue about the parties and what they stand for. it's bad enough that folk like that do vote now without introducing more people who don't know and don't care, who could end up voting in parties like UKIP or BNP as a protest vote

in addition to that, there are many people who don't like any of the current parties so don't want to support them

a spoiler vote is just a waste of time, so it's better avoiding all the situations above by letting people have a democratic right not to vote, and not force them to do things they don't want to do and don't know about which can only lead to problems

it's just a stupid idea that's not been thought out properly

The BNP will soon cease to exist.

UKIP is not anything to do with them, and is in third place nationally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    why would forcing people to vote produce any different result? Are you saying all those who don't vote would vote for a different party?

Polling with a 1000 people, give a 3% margin of error. You could say 10000 people is more than enough to get a clear vote done. The rest can watch TV and be happy not caring if Nick Clegg is in Bed with Ed Miliband or not.

I am saying they might.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am saying they might.

You would certainly get something different if you only allowed 1 random person to vote from each constituency. Wouldn't that solve both your problem and mine?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would certainly get something different if you only allowed 1 random person to vote from each constituency. Wouldn't that solve both your problem and mine?

I don't get the point of that statement.
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Australia has it one day, but on the weekend IIRC. They have compulsory voting with a fairly low tax ($25?) for not doing so

That not strictly correct

You have to turn up to a polling station and get a ballot paper
    You have to put the ballot paper in the voting box
    But you don't have to write anything on to it.

So you can cover the voting paper with obscenities if you want to, or just leave it blank.
    These are counted as spoiled ballot papers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the point of that statement.

allow 1 random person to vote for each constituency. Wouldn't that give you more chance a different party would get in?

That way only 1 person is forced to vote, giving the rest of us time to watch emmerdale in peace without politicians knocking at our door disturbing us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allow 1 random person to vote for each constituency. Wouldn't that give you more chance a different party would get in?

That way only 1 person is forced to vote, giving the rest of us time to watch emmerdale in peace without politicians knocking at our door disturbing us.

Yes, but then how could anyone elected claim to have the backing of the people. (And they do this occasionally).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but then how could anyone elected claim to have the backing of the people. (And they do this occasionally).

How would 33% of the population voting Labour mean they have the backing of the people. You need to change the voting system for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would 33% of the population voting Labour mean they have the backing of the people. You need to change the voting system for that.

No, because if each person has been given the chance to vote, what ever the outcome they can say the people have chosen it.

Whereas if everyone had to vote, the people really will have chosen it.
  • Options
    Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    People fought for the right for democratic vote. But also the right not to vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, because if each person has been given the chance to vote, what ever the outcome they can say the people have chosen it.

Whereas if everyone had to vote, the people really will have chosen it.

Isn't forcing people to do things they don't wish to do wrong? Sounds like coercion just to say "Everyone voted, so it must be good".

Wouldn't it be better to actually have a voting system that makes people want to vote? rather than threaten them with Torture or Jail?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't forcing people to do things they don't wish to do wrong? Sounds like coercion just to say "Everyone voted, so it must be good".

Wouldn't it be better to actually have a voting system that makes people want to vote? rather than threaten them with Torture or Jail?

But you could say that about anything, you could say we force people to dress, we force people to get a passport if they want to leave the UK, we force people to obey laws.

They would be fined if they did not vote, no torture of jail.

What voting system would make people want to vote?
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They went to war to vote? or went to war because people in power made them?

The expression you're looking for is "cannon fodder" because that's what it was, with most of the medals for those who remained in the bunker shouting, "Charge".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you could say that about anything, you could say we force people to dress, we force people to get a passport if they want to leave the UK, we force people to obey laws.

They would be fined if they did not vote, no torture of jail.

What voting system would make people want to vote?

I'm not forced to dress. I'm sat here now in my y-fronts.

What if I can't pay the fine?

Perhaps one that allows you to vote for a party you believe in? Rather than against one you don't. The current system is broken, no one wants to vote, no one cares and everyone knows nothing really changes. Blue/Red it's all the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not forced to dress. I'm sat here now in my y-fronts.

What if I can't pay the fine?

Perhaps one that allows you to vote for a party you believe in? Rather than against one you don't. The current system is broken, no one wants to vote, no one cares and everyone knows nothing really changes. Blue/Red it's all the same.

You can vote for whoever you want, Liberals used to be in power long ago, then the mood changed to Labour, it will change again.

But you can't walk down the street in y fronts for long can you?

People in this country would prefer Russia's system, I swear it.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    How did you set up a poll?

I think it should be made a legal requirement, although Im not sure how it could be enforced, fines?

When starting a thread there are 3 boxes at the bottom of the page and one of them has a tick box for starting a poll.

Use sparingly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When starting a thread there are 3 boxes at the bottom of the page and one of them has a tick box for starting a poll.

Use sparingly!
    Additional Options

Miscellaneous Options

Automatically parse links in text
    Disable smilies in text
    Thread Subscription
    Notification Type: