Force mono on pc with Realtek audio controller?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's a long shot asking this here, but here goes ...

If you, like me, have a computer with a 'Realtek High Definition Audio Controller', have you found or created a way to force the master output to mono on the computer?
It appears 'mono' is not an option. (dual mono, summed from both left and right channels where present)

I'm not looking for a method such as using a stereo > mono adaptor on the computer's stereo audio output jack. I am already using a method similar to this to temporarily force mono to the speakers when required. ie I plug an adaptor into the circuit to the speakers.

Comments

• 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry dont have a answer, but just curious why you want mono instead of stereo?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    sorry dont have a answer, but just curious why you want mono instead of stereo?
    There's two reasons; the second one being the main one.

1) Forcing a signal into mono can make a phase error very obvious, which can be useful for monitoring when making a stereo recording.

2) Sometimes I listen to audio sources which are stereo but 'one legged'; ie audio is only present on one side of the stereo pair. This can be mildy irritating to listen to, because the audio only comes out of one of the stereo speakers. The point being, usually the focus of listening is essentially the middle of both speakers.
    Sure, I could obviously move the relevant speaker temporarily into the middle of my focus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revisiting this subject here;

If I can't see / don't have a 'mono' option in my Vista audio settings, does that mean that the Realtek audio controller doesn't have a mono option?
    As far as I can tell, the Realtek audio on my pc is integrated and not a sound card.

Am I basically looking at needing to buy and install a suitable sound card which has a mono option? Would Vista then show 'mono' as an option?
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my_login wrote: »
    Revisiting this subject here;

If I can't see / don't have a 'mono' option in my Vista audio settings, does that mean that the Realtek audio controller doesn't have a mono option?
    As far as I can tell, the Realtek audio on my pc is integrated and not a sound card.

Am I basically looking at needing to buy and install a suitable sound card which has a mono option? Would Vista then show 'mono' as an option?

I very much doubt 'vista' it's-self would show mono option TBH ,same with realtek.

Have you tryed WMP ,if seem to remember this haveing a mono option is it's equiliser-effect's setting's mode,worth a try.

Edit: Think i used the setting for old mono early syd barret ect. music to hear origional pre-digitised cd issue's
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely some audio software would be the solution here?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm trying to get hold of a mono output of the pc audio without having to put a stereo to mono jack adaptor on the stereo output jack.

I can of course force mono within some programs / media players including using DirectShow filters, but I want to get mono capability on the final output regardless of the specific source.

I'm also posting in the Home Entertainment Technology section on a mono related issue, but that isn't specifically about getting mono on the pc. I'm just mentioning that in case anyone sees both topics and assumes I am talking about exactly the same in both, which I'm not.