Options

Why do some black people say "aks" and not "ask"?

ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
Totally random, and definitely not "racism" motivated. I'm simply intrigued as to why this fairly simple word seems to get its letters put in the wrong order. Noticed this in Eastenders and PSD at the athletics last night.

Does it stem from the dialectical origins of Patwa? I'd actually love to know. :)

Comments

• Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cos its street innit
  • Options
    Hilda_ChimanayiHilda_Chimanayi Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    ollie1004 wrote: »
    Totally random, and definitely not "racism" motivated. I'm simply intrigued as to why this fairly simple word seems to get its letters put in the wrong order. Noticed this in Eastenders and PSD at the athletics last night.

Does it stem from the dialectical origins of Patwa? I'd actually love to know. :)

Not all black people pronounce ask as aks. It depends on where they come from.
  • Options
    JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH is Jamaican and always says 'aks' - however a friend from Trinidad doesn't. I can't remember offhand if people we know from other islands say ask - maybe it's a Jamaican thing? I'll 'aks' him when he comes in
    :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Me-Cheetah wrote: »
    In Old English the origin of the word 'ask' was 'aksian' or 'askian'.

After the great vowel shift of the middle ages in England, the word morphed into the more familiar 'ask'.

However, in the West Indian colonies the old english form of 'aksian' or later 'aks' was preserved within the patois and creoles of those Islands. Similarly in slave communities in the US where patois and creoles evolved, the old pronounciations were preserved and evolved differently than in English in England. It is a language feature known as 'colonial lag.'

So, aks, arks or axe , aren't mispronounciations, they are just different pronounciations that relate back to the original Old English.

Why do black people say arks instead of ask?
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Just another example of the degradation of the English language, innit
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they do sound so cool though, i iwsh i sounded like them
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member

No they don't, they sound like bloody pillocks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cos its street innit

Innit Bruv
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

aks them to teach you. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the accent of many Carribean and African nations makes certain sounds more difficult to pronounce.

Some people find it hard to deal with the idea that not everybody has fully gentrified in their accent and way of speaking so instead associate it with "street" charicatures rather than its actual cause.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My 19 month old nephew says it too. But he is 19 months. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    My OH is Jamaican and always says 'aks' - however a friend from Trinidad doesn't. I can't remember offhand if people we know from other islands say ask - maybe it's a Jamaican thing? I'll 'aks' him when he comes in
    :)

It's only Jamaicans that say it - some people can't differentiate the different accents. As for that 'innit' word it's a cockney invention that sadly has been adopted by kids from all different national groups.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do some black people, in songs say chew instead of you ?
  • Options
    AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dyslexia?
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member

Why do people say random to things that are not even remotely random?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word has started someone and been passed on. One day it will die out like old English words.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hired a Jamaican girl not long back and she says 'arks'. It's quite cute though, and she's really fit, so it's not something that actually bothers me in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask said in the English manner does sound a bit like arse....
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I hired a Jamaican girl not long back and she says 'arks'. It's quite cute though, and she's really fit, so it's not something that actually bothers me in the grand scheme of things.

In what context did you hire a Jamaican girl?
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a) No phonics training.

b) Accent

Probably b, as it's not hard.

And there are a lot of accents that change certain words.

Which are then dialect words I suppose.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    You hear it a lot said by black defendants/ plaintiffs on Judge Judy type shows
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    You hear it a lot said by black defendants/ plaintiffs on Judge Judy type shows

Judge Judy always corrects them!:D
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Threads like this beggars belief.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligent would realise the way some people speak and pronounce words is down to their accents and where they come from, or haven't they heard of such a thing?

If I hear a Scot say "huse" instead of "house" would I instantly ask why some white people pronounce it that way? Noooo, I would be thinking they have an accent and come from Scotland. Simples!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I've never noticed black people saying it, I've never noticed anyone saying it for that matter.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Threads like this beggars belief.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligent would realise the way some people speak and pronounce words is down to their accents and where they come from, or haven't they heard of such a thing?

If I hear a Scot say "huse" instead of "house" would I instantly ask why some white people pronounce it that way? Noooo, I would be thinking they have an accent and come from Scotland. Simples!

This. Nicely put:)