Glitched...........The best word to describe this generations games.

DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seriously had enough of this now, how many more games will i come across that is glitched to the point where it ruins your game ?

I have 11 games in my Xbox 360 collection that has a glitch that harms your progression in a game. The latest one...............Eternal Sonata.

I am on my second playthrough and i have just come across the photo glitch. The photo glitch happens when you try and sell the pics that you take in the game and your game completely freezes. Nothing can fix this, the only thing you can do is restart the game, this is something you don't want to do when playing an RPG . If it was on my first playthrough it wouldn't have mattered, but on the second playthrough taking pictures is needed because it involves one of the Achievements.

It's just added to the list of frustrating glitches that has ruined this generations gaming. I still have many games for my PS2 and Dreamcast and none of them suffer a glitch that stops you progressing / completing a game.

I would love to know if people have had similar frustrations that i have had. It's moments like this that makes me go back to playing on my PS2.

Comments

• Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the advent of downloadable updates and patches that have made developers and publishers are more lax about pushing out a game without it being ready. They just figure they will patch it up down the line, if at all if it doesn't sell too well.

Fallout: NV was beyond crippled when I first tried to play it. Couldn't get through doors without long freezes and sometimes crashes.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LEGO videogame franchise .... Plagued with glitches & getting worse & worse! :(
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    The LEGO videogame franchise .... Plagued with glitches & getting worse & worse! :(

I worry every time i play a Lego game. Lego Indiana Jones is the only one i haven't had trouble with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Agreed. They want me to pay £40 for stuff which frankly they struggle to even correct in patches. MW2 loved that game but the amount of cruddy faults to begin with were a joke.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a side affect of the complexity that we find in modern games. More complex A.I. and missions means that there's more to go wrong, and let's not get started on multi-player.

Not every combination of every situation can be tested for, at least, not without blowing up development times and budgets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Online has made developers lazy they make full use of releasing patches instead of releasing the finished article.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soon you won't be allowed to return a faulty game anymore because it will be considered to now be apart of the whole gaming experience :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    The best word to describe this generation of games?

Brown.

Too much brown and grey.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Games developers need to invest in some proper play testing before they release a game.

EA and Activision, I'm looking at you, put some money and time aside and test your bloody games before you release them.

I remember the good old days when you bought a game and played it to the end without it ever crashing.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moonstone on the Amiga. I don't think I've played anything as glitched as that. At least now most things are patched easily.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyrim the king of glitches, it's shamefull they release a great game like that with so many bugs.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the good old days when you bought a game and played it to the end without it ever crashing.

Dont you think QA manage to get to the end of games without it crashing?

Have a think about what your saying for a moment before replying........

If it weren't possible then 0% of players would be able to complete a game at launch which clearly doesn't happen.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont you think QA manage to get to the end of games without it crashing?

Have a think about what your saying for a moment before replying........

If it weren't possible then 0% of players would be able to complete a game at launch which clearly doesn't happen.

I think you need to have a think about what I wrote.

I never said 0% of players are able to complete games.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My new windows 98 computer crashes and has so many glitchy stuff it is amazing we ever put up with it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best word to describe this generation of games?

Brown.

Too much brown and grey.

Yeah good point.

Another word could be shiny, why is it everything in games is shiny these days ?

Trees, the floor, hair, guns, houses, everything, it's all shiny :p
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    It is starting to get frustrating that games tend to require patches to fix things within the 1st week of release. Thats actually a big part of why I never buy a game on day of release anymore, I always wait to see if it needs patching before buying it.

Complexity of modern games is a valid excuse, However I also think that the ability to patch games, The fact so many have yearly released titles now & also the fact everyone seems to demand a hard release date plays a big role.

If games are more complex to develop & test now then I think dev's shoudl take more time to develop them to ensure there 100% ready for launch.
    I personally would much rather see a game delayed to fix all the bugs before release rather than a game be released & need patching almost immediately because it wasn't actually fully ready to be released.

Something thats irritated me with patches recently is the codemasters F1 series, The 1st game (F1 2010) was quite buggy on launch but eventually fixed via patches. F1 2011 was then also quite buggy on launch & oddly featured a few of the exact same bugs which were patched out of F1 2010 & the exact same thing happened with F1 2012. Its inexcusable in my opinion for the 3rd game in a series to have the exact same bugs that were patched out of both previous titles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is starting to get frustrating that games tend to require patches to fix things within the 1st week of release. Thats actually a big part of why I never buy a game on day of release anymore, I always wait to see if it needs patching before buying it.

Complexity of modern games is a valid excuse, However I also think that the ability to patch games, The fact so many have yearly released titles now & also the fact everyone seems to demand a hard release date plays a big role.

If games are more complex to develop & test now then I think dev's shoudl take more time to develop them to ensure there 100% ready for launch.
    I personally would much rather see a game delayed to fix all the bugs before release rather than a game be released & need patching almost immediately because it wasn't actually fully ready to be released.

Something thats irritated me with patches recently is the codemasters F1 series, The 1st game (F1 2010) was quite buggy on launch but eventually fixed via patches. F1 2011 was then also quite buggy on launch & oddly featured a few of the exact same bugs which were patched out of F1 2010 & the exact same thing happened with F1 2012. Its inexcusable in my opinion for the 3rd game in a series to have the exact same bugs that were patched out of both previous titles.

I hate relying on patches because not all games get patched. Sonic Adventure DX and Naruto rise of a Ninja being perfect examples.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only encountered 2 game-ending glitches: Fable 3 where my character suddenly fell through a void and wouldn't stop no matter what I did and one in Fallout NV, but it was at the very start so it didn't matter. The FNV one didn't happen again, the Fable 3 one got fixed.

2 out of over 200 games is nothing to be honest.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DSWNSM wrote: »
    Yeah good point.

Another word could be shiny, why is it everything in games is shiny these days ?

Trees, the floor, hair, guns, houses, everything, it's all shiny :p

Z-mapping. Devs love it :D
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    This gen is more glitchy than any other before it (with exception to 8/16-bit home computing) but there are still a lot of games out there that are so well made and never needed any patching. Bayonetta on 360 is a good example of that.

Games like Skyrim or Fallout 3 are obviously going to have glitches but I never seem to suffer as much as some people, I'm quite amazed how well it all works considering the scope, in the case of games like this I don't expect them to be able to test for every single variable action, there's not enough testers to do this so we inevitably end up doing that job, which I don't mind so long as the patches arrive in good time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more games shoul release betas for public testing

hundreds maybe thousands of people will find more faults than a handful of paid employees
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple for me this gen has been patches and DLC crazy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say breathtaking is the word to describe this generation myself

As for glitches back in the PS2 days i was going for 100% on vice city, around about 85% and doing almost everything, i decided to go for the hidden packages, you can imagine how pissed off i was when it turned out the game had glitched and one of the packages didn't appear

Back then that broke the game i had two choices give up or start again, this generation i would simply wait a few days/weeks for a patch and carry on

How anyone can say the first generation where we can fix problems found post release is the worst for glitches is behind me
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What - GAMES are needing Service Packs now?
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i fell off my stool !!

Video Games can be good for kids... in mainstream media

http://news.sky.com/story/1058337/video-games-can-be-good-for-kids-says-study