Options

A Spoiler too far...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Michelle JonesMichelle Jones Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    Nefersitra wrote: »
    I don't mind mild spoilers but I do agree that some are now far too detailed.

What really annoys me now though, is the trend to announce a character is leaving months before they do. Especially if we're told in great detail what will happen (eg Kylie Platt, Roxy and Ronnie) or we find out someone's leaving and 4 months later, we still don't know when.

It's very difficult to are either way about a story that features characters we know are leaving at a set time - how much more affecting would Kylie and David's plans to join Becky abroad have been if we didn't know Kylie was going to die in the next week? Would we all have cared more about Jack's plans to move to Ongar and leave Roxy if we didn't know the Mitchell Sisters were leaving at New Year's and Jack was staying in Walford?

With characters who we know are leaving but not when, it's kind of the opposite - everything that happens to them becomes a cliff hanger - "Is this it?" - which soon stops being interesting (think The Boy Who Called Wolf).

To be fair, although we knew months in advance that Kylie was leaving ,it was only 2 weeks before she left that we knew she was being killed off:(

Michelle Keegan on the other hand, her departure was announced 13 months before she actually left , then the fact she was being killed off was announced 6 months before it happened. Now THAT is ridiculous>:(!

Same with Alison King, her departure was announced a full year in advance too. I mean how the f*** are we meant to invest in characters when we know when they're leaving??
  • Options
    babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame DTC for even starting to give out too many spoilers. The Media are like stray cats... Feed them once and they keep coming back for more and will find any way to get the food.

Really? I though DTC was good at keeping things under wraps. Kathy's return, Honey's return, Shabnam's exit, Aleks' exit...EE really regained an element of surprise under his tenure. Although it was a great shame Lucy's death was leaked beforehand, that would have been an amazing surprise.
  • Options
    NefersitraNefersitra Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    Really? I though DTC was good at keeping things under wraps. Kathy's return, Honey's return, Shabnam's exit, Aleks' exit...EE really regained an element of surprise under his tenure. Although it was a great shame Lucy's death was leaked beforehand, that would have been an amazing surprise.

The thing is, the "Who Killed Lucy" story was actually about Lucy's death - it was about the way it affected the family in the immediate aftermath and then the reveal and cover-up. Lucy dying was the starting point for the story not an end or a twist (which would and should be kept secret).
  • Options
    NefersitraNefersitra Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, although we knew months in advance that Kylie was leaving ,it was only 2 weeks before she left that we knew she was being killed off:(

Michelle Keegan on the other hand, her departure was announced 13 months before she actually left , then the fact she was being killed off was announced 6 months before it happened. Now THAT is ridiculous>:(!

Same with Alison King, her departure was announced a full year in advance too. I mean how the f*** are we meant to invest in characters when we know when they're leaving??

I agree completely. I used Kylie as an example because it was one I could remember off-hand where if I hadn't known she was going to die I would have invested in the idea that maybe, just maybe they'd get that fresh start in the sun (with David getting a surprise exit) :blush:.

Also, TBH, I was sick of Tango Tina, "me best barmaid" before they announced she would be leaving so I didn't care about her stories anyway. :p
  • Options
    Dee13Dee13 Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I think spoilers are fine so long as they are only revealed with the option of reading them...not in the papers with spoiler and then the bloomin story so you can't help but see them >:(>:(
  • Options
    Michelle JonesMichelle Jones Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    Nefersitra wrote: »
    I agree completely. I used Kylie as an example because it was one I could remember off-hand where if I hadn't known she was going to die I would have invested in the idea that maybe, just maybe they'd get that fresh start in the sun (with David getting a surprise exit) :blush:.

Also, TBH, I was sick of Tango Tina, "me best barmaid" before they announced she would be leaving so I didn't care about her stories anyway. :p

Tango Tina lol:D. Aww must admit I was sad she was killed off. Really wanted the door to be left open for Tina.:(

What made it worse was the out of character affair with Peter and then the completely contrived friendship with Carla when prior to this s/l Tina had had no interaction with either character!!!!
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »

He didn't exactly reveal the whole storylines but he said enough to have a good idea of what was going to happen. Yes he did keep some twists back and the surprises were good but if he was guilty of anything it was over-hyping stuff beyond what actually happened.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it getting ridiculous now?

It was months ago we were told how R&R in EE would exit yet supposedly 90% of the storylines were embargoed.

We also know about Kim and Denises returning Parent.

Now a lot of this is coming from either rags trying to be be first or from "fans" wanting to find things out then share it with as many people as possible (as per the current increase in cross posting between here and WW)

Is it getting too much?

Personally, I would just be happy with the sunday spoilers and teasers of storylines rather than knowing exactly what is going to happens months before.

Another thing is announcing exits, we are now getting them a year in advance

Even Michelle's return was spoiled!

I think Ronnie and Roxy's death needed to spoiled as viewers needed to prepared!
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I think Ronnie and Roxy's death needed to spoiled as viewers needed to prepared!
    So you were happy to know that they drowned in a swimming pool and that it was her weding dress that did for ronnie before you watched it?

Personally it had less effect for me
  • Options
    albiexalbiex Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    WW are a solely eastenders based forum, they will get content sometimes before others, they've already said they don't allow embargoed information and are clamping down if any is posted, sometimes spoiler/speculation is shared, I post links sometimes from that site and I don't see any issue with it, I give spoiler warnings it up to the individual if they click or not.

It shamed when its spoiled but it rarely avoidable, spoilers are part a parcel of the internet.

Corrie are notorious for dropping spoilers and are way worse in spoiling episodes for fans.

Maybe the BBC need to sort out who they are allowing access to their press website.
    Then they could take a tip from ITV. The Itv online press website only has teasers, not accurate spoilers. These are emailed to approved recipients so anything embargoed must be coming from them, so as I said earlier, they need to be reported. Firstly to DS, and if no action is taken, DS should be reported to ITV.
    ITV pictures are separate and and quick to censor anyone reported.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albiex wrote: »
    Then they could take a tip from ITV. The Itv website only has teasers, not accurate spoilers. These are emailed to approved recipients so anything embargoed must be coming from them, so as I said earlier, they need to be reported. Firstly to DS, and if no action is taken, DS should be reported to ITV.

Itv used to be the same as the bbc, in fact people were accessing the corrie/ED info then posting the clearly embargoed info on to the forum, think ITV got wind and stopped publishing it for all to see
  • Options
    SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it getting ridiculous now?

It was months ago we were told how R&R in EE would exit yet supposedly 90% of the storylines were embargoed.

We also know about Kim and Denises returning Parent.

Now a lot of this is coming from either rags trying to be be first or from "fans" wanting to find things out then share it with as many people as possible (as per the current increase in cross posting between here and WW)

Is it getting too much?

Personally, I would just be happy with the sunday spoilers and teasers of storylines rather than knowing exactly what is going to happens months before.

Another thing is announcing exits, we are now getting them a year in advance

Even Michelle's return was spoiled!

Yours is an interesting post.

Firstly, because neither my wife nor I have a daily newspaper, preferring to get the real news from BBC24 or SkyNews, we are never privy to the salacious gossip and mega spoilers that seem to beset the red top press.

Second, spoilers that hint at a possible outcome are fine by me, especially if they end up being red herrings and nothing ever comes of them, as in the case of the rumours of Jay leaving, for instance.

We here certainly had no idea how the R&R girls were going out on Sunday, so it came as a pleasant surprise that they didn't die in a blazing car accident or such like.

Neither have we heard anything to do with Kim and Denise's parents coming on the scene .. that's news to us, courtesy of your post. Thanks for that .. I think!

The thing that bugs me about so many posts on DS is the assumption that everyone has heard all the rumours or spoilers and therefore is able to openly discuss these things .. even if they're nonsense!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SepangBlue wrote: »
    Yours is an interesting post.

Firstly, because neither my wife nor I have a daily newspaper, preferring to get the real news from BBC24 or SkyNews, we are never privy to the salacious gossip and mega spoilers that seem to beset the red top press.

Second, spoilers that hint at a possible outcome are fine by me, especially if they end up being red herrings and nothing ever comes of them, as in the case of the rumours of Jay leaving, for instance.

We here certainly had no idea how the R&R girls were going out on Sunday, so it came as a pleasant surprise that they didn't die in a blazing car accident or such like.

Neither have we heard anything to do with Kim and Denise's parents coming on the scene .. that's news to us, courtesy of your post. Thanks for that .. I think!

The thing that bugs me about so many posts on DS is the assumption that everyone has heard all the rumours or spoilers and therefore is able to openly discuss these things .. even if they're nonsense!

yeah sorry about that, that's why I put parent because I was trying not to completely spoil. but there has been at least 4 threads on it on here already. some will tell you that ones the information is out there it is no longer a spoiler :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I feel really bad about putting about what I have, I was just been lazy cos I hate typing a lot on my ipad
  • Options
    GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,305
    Forum Member
    I enjoy things so much more spoiler free. As much as I enjoyed last night Eastenders none of it was unexpected for me. Shabnams exit however had a far bigger impact on me as I had no idea she had left.