Is Bowie's new single eligible to chart on Sunday?

124»

Comments

• LED93LED93 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    One of the most stupid posts I've read on this forum.

Not really. The fact that a man who started out on the 60's is currently topping iTunes is fantastic. Whilst two artists who are supposed to be current are behind him. As already pointed out, bowie doesn't require auto tune, something will.i.am can't say. As for britney, the fact that's she's gone from having a multi-million seller single and album in the 90's to being cowell's puppet and featuring on a track by will.i.am shows how hard she's fallen.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Bowie must be, along with Bob Dylan maybe, the most critic-proof artist ever. He could sing the phone book and people would call it genius. Don't get me wrong, a lot of his old stuff is truly great, but this song is a dirge without a single hook in it. If naff artists like Phil Collins or Chris de Burgh produced a song with exactly the same sound or production as this one they would be quite rightly slammed.

You are either a youngster or are clearly not a very knowledgeable music fan.

Bowie's output post 1983 Let's Dance to 1993 Black Tie White Noise was absolutely slaughtered by the media. Many of the reviews for Never Let Me Down and the first Tin Machine album were written as if David Bowie had slept with the reviewers' partner.

Likewise, Bob Dylan's output from 1970 horrendous covers album Self Portrait up until 1989's Oh Mercy (bar his mid 1970s brief purple patch from 1974 Planet Waves' through to 1976 Desire) suffered from some similarly savage reviews.

They have certainly been far from critically bomb proof compared to the likes of Tom Waits, Radiohead & REM.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    One of the most stupid posts I've read on this forum.

Now, now 3$pirit, you mustn't talk to Servalan like that! After all, I thought your profile says you like "destroying your opponent respectfully". I see you weren't even born when David Bowie had his last Top Ten single in 1993, so enjoy the moment when it happens for the first time in your life. It is an event, believe me, especially amongst such generic, conveyor belt, purely for profit, music that swarms the UK singles chart like a plague.

To think that Bowie, along with Queen, knocked up the classic Under Pressure in an afternoon in Montreaux, almost on the hoof, and got a No1 from it that stands as good today as ever it did. :cool:
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Now, now 3$pirit, you mustn't talk to Servalan like that! After all, I thought your profile says you like "destroying your opponent respectfully". I see you weren't even born when David Bowie had his last Top Ten single in 1993, so enjoy the moment when it happens for the first time in your life. It is an event, believe me, especially amongst such generic, conveyor belt, purely for profit, music that swarms the UK singles chart like a plague.

To think that Bowie, along with Queen, knocked up the classic Under Pressure in an afternoon in Montreaux, almost on the hoof, and got a No1 from it that stands as good today as ever it did. :cool:

Well said :) I wonder, if it was released as a new single now, would it be Queen ft David Bowie, or David Bowie ft Queen?;);)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Well said :) I wonder, if it was released as a new single now, would it be Queen ft David Bowie, or David Bowie ft Queen?;);)

When first released it was Queen & David Bowie. That & being quite an important element. I don't know about you, but taking a glance down the top ten, forty ot hundred singles, every other song now seems to be prefaced by an artist "featuring" another artist to a crazy degree. It was a rare thing to note on a single once. Queen and Bowie clearly had equal billing, in a way that say Queen featuring David Bowie would have made clear it was Queen first, Bowie second. ;)

In 2006, I bought a Leo Sayer song that went to No1 for a couple of weeks early that year, Thunder In My Heart Again. Great track. Yet, despite it being Leo's song from 1977 originally, and minimally altered, the credit was Meck featuring Leo Sayer! Even worse on one of the morning chart shows of the time when the tracks video was played, the graphic just said Meck, with no mention of Leo whatever. Whatever this Meck chap did by twiddling a few knobs on that track, it was first and foremost a Leo Sayer record and No1. The arranger getting the main credit above the actual artist was appalling, and likely not the only case in recent years.