Finale Title Confirmed!!!!

Comments

• SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, it was true! :D

I highly doubt we'll learn his name, though. Many people will not be happy, and it will kind of render the title of the show pointless from that point onwards. But I'm VERY intrigued about the episode, and love the poster. :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »

I remember when Inspector Morse's first name was revealed
    Endeavour, for those who don't know...

Well, if anybody doesn't know it now, they can't watch telly on Sunday nights, as
    Endeavour
    aka young Morse, has his own eponymous series. :D

And very good it is, too.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that by giving the Doctor a name it adds anything that's good or worthwhile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emby2 wrote: »
    Could be any number of things.

Could be that an awful atrocity was committed in 'the name of the doctor'? Like he gave the order for something terrible to happen and ever since there's a cult that follows him under the impression that he's a dictator or something?

Or perhaps he inherited the title of 'the doctor' from an even more mysterious timelord, also called the doctor?

perhaps he'll say his name, but a crack of thunder goes off at the same time and he's drowned out? :)

I like what Quentin Tarantino did in Kill Bill whever Uma Thurman's name for her Bride character was mentioned by a character. It just overdubbed the dialogue with a censored beep sound.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    To me, 'The Name of the Doctor' sounds like a clever play on words - much like the Bells of St John.

If it was really about the Doctor's name, then why not go with the simpler 'The Doctor's Name'?

'The Name of the Doctor' for me conjures up phrasology like 'The Name of the Father', which would tie in nicely with the whole mesianic reasoning The Silence et al have for trying to kill him off, and the lengths that people may go to when doing things in the Doctor's name'.

If I'm right then that'd be a nice bookend to the opening moments of 7B, when the Doctor appears in monk attire.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven Moffat is a troll of the highest order and he's doing this to send us fanboys/girls into a frenzy. Don't fall for it!
    Although, just in case his name is actually revealed, I'm putting a fiver on 'Bob'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me, 'The Name of the Doctor' sounds like a clever play on words - much like the Bells of St John.

If it was really about the Doctor's name, then why not go with the simpler 'The Doctor's Name'?

'The Name of the Doctor' for me conjures up phrasology like 'The Name of the Father', which would tie in nicely with the whole mesianic reasoning The Silence et al have for trying to kill him off, and the lengths that people may go to when doing things in the Doctor's name'.

If I'm right then that'd be a nice bookend to the opening moments of 7B, when the Doctor appears in monk attire.

Yes, the 'Name of the Doctor' could be directly referencing the name 'Doctor'. Like revealing what significance the name 'Doctor' holds?
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We can't find out his name, we just can't...
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can I ask - are any other time lords titled "Doctor _____" ?

or is the doctor title unique to this time lord?
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll go for Trevor.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.j. wrote: »
    What a load of old cobblers. Is Moffat so desperate that he only has to go and spoil the best secret of them all. (What gives that T**t the right?) i'm so sick of his run on Doctor Who......It's Fred by the way.

This post is a load of old cobblers

But I love the title and the poster. I really don't think his name will be revealed to us, I think it might play a part in the episode, like he'll probably tell River. However I do not believe this is the big secret that's going to be revealed. I don't think the GI will be involved, I'm hoping The Whispermen will have similar powers to that of The Trickster. If they do I have a feeling Clara will be a result of whatever they're trying to accomplish.
  • FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    If they name him, it will pretty much pee all over my 37 years of watching the programme!

Why? It wasn't even mentioned before RTD. He made it a big plot point. It never mattered before. For what it's worth I think he will speak his name and River will hear it, but not us or he will be one of the original Time Lords who did terrible things and he's been making up for it ever since and changed his name.
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat is a clever man, and I am sure he will not be revealing a name to us.

That is too simple, what I do think will happen is we will learn the significance behind his name and why the question 'Doctor who' must never be answered.

Just imagine if he no longer went around saying the Doctor, you would have to change the title and it would lose it's magic imo.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Endeavour?!
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FATCHOPS wrote: »
    Why? It wasn't even mentioned before RTD. He made it this if thing.

Because, since the beginning of the 70s when I started watching it, the fact that no-one knew his name was actually quite a significant issue! It has been hinted at a number of times since the 60s!
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    Steven Moffat is a troll of the highest order and he's doing this to send us fanboys/girls into a frenzy. Don't fall for it!
    Although, just in case his name is actually revealed, I'm putting a fiver on 'Bob'.

Exactly - Stir up controversy, get viewers
    Forum Member
    Why? It wasn't even mentioned before RTD. He made it this if thing.

You mean, apart from the name of the show? ;)
    And the constant speculation over the Fourth Doctor's Theta-Sigma 'nickname'?
    Etc

The mystery surrounding the Doctor's name may have been flagged up more frequently in Nu-Who, but it has been an enduring mystery right back to day one of the show - the front cover of the next DWM even features an Ian Chesterton line - "If we knew his name we might have a clue to all this".
  • FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Because, since the beginning of the 70s when I started watching it, the fact that no-one knew his name was actually quite a significant issue! It has been hinted at a number of times since the 60s!

I've been watching since the same time and I don't remember it ever being an issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love those who think for even a second we will actually discover his name. I agree Moff is a troll but he's not stupid.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my guess is that it'll be a name which is a description , like "The Doctor who ... (did something) " and that something will be terrible and momentous , or whatever , but it'll be a name given to him by a race of people to signify what he did . And so it's what he did that will be the surprise .

so his actual name will still be a secret anyway .
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching since the same time and I don't remember it ever being an issue.

No, me neither.

I think it's a posh name. Nothing like Bob or Fred. I think it's Tarquin. Or Marmaduke.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    His alien enemies have always known his real name.

Its Dock Tore.
    Forum Member
    I do love those who think for even a second we will actually discover his name. I agree Moff is a troll but he's not stupid.

I agree. It's a title designed to get people watching, nothing more.

Besides, the Doctor has LOADS of names. The Oncoming Storm, Theta-Sigma, John Smith etc :)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The title is obviously a tease. They aren't going to reveal the Doctor's name. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    To everyone who is saying the title of the show will be ruined by revealing his name. Moffat wont reveal something like this without a big plan for it, Trust him. Also no-one knows when Doctor Who will ever end. It could be next year, the year after, in a decade, or go on for another half century. If it did end up getting cancelled, then it would be a bit annoying to a lot of fans that we never find out. With a title like Doctor Who, it literally means "Who are you, Doctor?" and its a question asked a lot throughout the show. So what I'm saying is when better to do it than in the 50th Anniversary year.

Plus lets admit, if you like the show enough to talk about it on forums then you're going to watch it regardless. ;)