Oh Dear - Love Island Cost Twice As Much As Big Brother To Make

DrelldosDrelldos Posts: 5,204
Forum Member
MediaGuardian gave today revealed that Love Island cost an unbelievable £12 Million, twice as much as Big Brother.

Flights, hotels and fees associated with using an exotic location in the South Pacific, not to mention crew and entourage reported to be in the hundreds, contributed to the sky-high production cost of the series, according to industry insiders.

By contrast the relatively cheap London location of Big Brother, and crew and staff numbers thought to be around a more modest 60, meant that Channel 4's most recent series cost around £6m.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,1883381,00.html

As we know, Love Island averaged considerably less than Big Brother, which begs the question: Who thought it would be a good idea to spend so much money on a show which was never guaranteed to be a success?

That's an absurd amount, especially compared to Big Brother, which cost half.

Comments

• 12bigbrother1212bigbrother12 Posts: 4,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they bother to make the programme?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long was Love Island on for? 2 weeks, 3 weeks????? If you compare like with like and extrapolate the costs, it would have cost an absolute fortune :eek:
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Of course Love Island is going to cost more than BB. BB only has to pay housemates the minimum wage or something whereas LI has to fork out for all those major celebs like........err......you know........wotsername.
  • Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Electra
    Of course Love Island is going to cost more than BB. BB only has to pay housemates the minimum wage or something whereas LI has to fork out for all those major celebs like........err......you know........wotsername.

Wotsername, wotshisname, her off that show, that one off that tv programme and him from that show. Also, him and her from that show with the other fella and his chum off that other show....! :D:D

Noticed they dropped the "Celebrity" this year because they had NO celebrities, only zelebrities and wannabe zelebrities, i.e. kids of famous people. Was there any real love this year? No! Therefore, they should just re-name it "The Island" if they do decide to waste another couple of million on the flop next summer! :p:D
  • bom-jiggybom-jiggy Posts: 15,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun_Beam wrote:
    Wotsername, wotshisname, her off that show, that one off that tv programme and him from that show. Also, him and her from that show with the other fella and his chum off that other show....! :D:D

Noticed they dropped the "Celebrity" this year because they had NO celebrities, only zelebrities and wannabe zelebrities, i.e. kids of famous people. Was there any real love this year? No! Therefore, they should just re-name it "The Island" if they do decide to waste another couple of million on the flop next summer! :p:D

You're not seriously suggesting that The Twins are not celebrities, are you :eek:. What about Lee Otway and Colleen Shannon :confused::D
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    bom-jiggy wrote:
    You're not seriously suggesting that The Twins are not celebrities, are you :eek:. What about Lee Otway and Colleen Shannon :confused::D

Who?

<filler>
  • bom-jiggybom-jiggy Posts: 15,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote:
    Who?

<filler>

Exactly :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only twice as much? :eek:

They have done well.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Sun_Beam wrote:

According to LI's own tantrum queen Sophie Anderton, the motleys were contractually barred from having any kind of sex, which begs the question what is the point of the whole exercise in the first place, and makes the title of the show something of a hollow joke.

I very much doubt it will be back next year somehow. £12m seems a lot to spend on something that is not only universally derided but has also performed awfully two years in a row.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Poochland wrote:
    How long was Love Island on for? 2 weeks, 3 weeks????? If you compare like with like and extrapolate the costs, it would have cost an absolute fortune :eek:

I think it was about 7 or 8 weeks this year, so just over half the length of BB.

Half the airtime, twice the money, half the viewers. There's a statisitic to make an ITV accountant weep.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by bom-jiggy
    You're not seriously suggesting that The Twins are not celebrities, are you :eek: . What about Lee Otway and Colleen Shannon :confused::D

Yes, I bloody am seriously suggesting that said people aren't celebrities, nor are they zelebrities! :eek: :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by phil solo
    According to LI's own tantrum queen Sophie Anderton, the motleys were contractually barred from having any kind of sex, which begs the question what is the point of the whole exercise in the first place, and makes the title of the show something of a hollow joke.

I very much doubt it will be back next year somehow. £12m seems a lot to spend on something that is not only universally derided but has also performed awfully two years in a row.
    I read about this in a magazine the other day, which makes the so-called reality tv show even more absurd than ever! They started off calling it Celebirty Love Island. When they realised they couldn't get actual celebrities, they dropped the word out of the title. Now that the so-called zelebrities were barred form having sex, it makes the show, as you said, a massive joke!
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just shows what cheapskates they are on Big Brother, they make millions from it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote:
    I think it was about 7 or 8 weeks this year, so just over half the length of BB.

Half the airtime, twice the money, half the viewers. There's a statisitic to make an ITV accountant weep.
    Wow, didn't realise it was that long. The cost would be astonomical if they did twice as long, like BB.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote:
    It just shows what cheapskates they are on Big Brother, they make millions from it.

They could have splashed out a few thousand on soundproofing to be honest.

But, the idea that Love Island could deliver half the viewers for half the time for double the money suggests that they were being stupid with the money. The celebs fees would have added up to less than £1 million.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote:

Plus fewer calls.

8 weeks times 6 shows a week plus another 3-4 hours a week on ITV 2 is 48 hours of ITV1 plus say 30 on ITV 2. Is £250 k an hour expensive compared with the alternatives?

It did look overstaffed and the coming and going can't have helped the expenses.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote:

and as far as I know - doesn't it all happen in the Pacific on the other side of the world?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Costs twice as much to make Love Island, yet BB Probably made triple of that amount from frantic voters, voting thier fave on BB :D