Options

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    On Berahino, BBC reporting:
    @patmurphybbc that #coys offered £5m upfront with the rest in instalments and incentives.

FFS. If correct, Levy was never serious. Feeling totally played by Levy. Again.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    BBC reporting:

FFS. If correct, Levy was never serious. Feeling totally played by Levy. Again.

Hard to believe they would offer WBA such an offer and really expect WBA to accept.

The player may be unhappy but his anger needs to be directed at Spurs who by the sound of havent even given WBA something to discuss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    ... but his anger needs to be directed at Spurs who by the sound of havent even given WBA something to discuss.

And with Daniel Levy, you think that's probably the point - he wants it to look like he 'tried everything' when he actually ends up with £45 million in his pocket (DM and striker) which should be on the pitch.

Thus the best quality of any manger at WHL remains the same for Levy; paper over the cracks, make me look good.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yedlin to Sunderland on loan for the rest of the season just confirmed

20 minutes of the transfer window left and one outgoing loan .. Ridiculous
  • Options
    Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually really worried now if we're not getting another striker......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ozboz3 wrote: »
    I'm actually really worried now if we're not getting another striker......

I dont think we are. We'll be left with a former right winger who averages 10 goals a season as our main second striker
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, today was uneventful for us. Love to know what's gone on with WBA & SB but actually not fussed about not getting him. Am quite concerned in general about how slow we seem to be in all our build up play. Excluding the very odd counter attack it all seems pedestrian, even more so than last season, which seems to stifle any chance Kane has to work some space and create decent chances.
    That said it's been going that way since AVB took over (Apart from the Sherwood spell) and I've kinda lost a little interest in games.
    Always used to be fun to watch Spurs win/lose/draw as we always seemed to want to play & attack with quick movements, yes we could concede but we could also score a bundle too! Now it's much more the case that we might win/lose/draw but only by a narrow margin and normally whereby we could have won but actually lost through losing the ball in a tippy-tappy failed pass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I understand he wants to fund as much of this stadium project from resources rather than loans but I just wish he'd be a little more honest. It's the feeling of being conned - again - that grates more than anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't see this, but Berahino has tweeted ..
    Sad how i cant say exactly how the club has treated me but i can officially say i will never play Jeremy Peace.

https://twitter.com/SBerahino/status/638744042772299776

Jeremy Peace is the WBA chairman. It says two things really. One - that he's definitely not signing for us today and two that he's potentially saying that he's going on strike and will refuse to play for West Brom until such time as they sell him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's that then. One striker it is.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    Berahino himself seems pretty certain on where the fault lies, but it's whatever really....I wasn't keen on him coming at all. the great Pochettino had better start rebuilding bridges with Adebayor....

like I keep saying, striker is just one of our problems. Pochettino quite willingly got rid of several players this summer, so before we start piling in on Levy when it becomes apparent that the squad is woefully thin, that has to be the primary consideration.

it was obvious to me from last season that this one was going to be a complete write-off.
  • Options
    Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's that then. One striker it is.

Well we've still got Adebayor......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ozboz3 wrote: »
    Well we've still got Adebayor......

Well yeah, although it remains to be seen if Poch will backtrack and actually give him a squad number. I can't see it personally.

I can certainly see Son being used as the second striker though, but it's still a bit of a ridiculous situation either way because he's a right winger.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    It's more than a little ridiculous if we really did offer only £5 million up front for Berahino. I would have thought it would have needed to be at least double that if there were going to be serious negotiations. I guess we will never know.

That said, I am kind of pleased that West Brom stuck to their guns and weren't bullied by us or the player into agreeing a last minute deal. As for Berahino's supposed quote, if that does suggest he's going on strike then I am doubly glad that we didn't sign him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another concern of mine is with Poch' as a manager. Southampton's win % dropped by 16 in the year he took over and then rose by 12 the year after he left & that is despite Liverpool and others taking loads of their players as Koeman came in. Almost all of the difference is caused by wins being converted into draws by Poch' tactics.
    As with AVB I fear that he lacks the ability to move away from his one & only playing philosophy, and will stick to the method regardless of the way the opposition are playing against it. At least Redknapp & Sherwood were happy to adjust the team to the opposition and make changes where needed to try and get a win rather than battle for a draw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinj wrote: »
    Another concern of mine is with Poch' as a manager. Southampton's win % dropped by 16 in the year he took over and then rose by 12 the year after he left & that is despite Liverpool and others taking loads of their players as Koeman came in. Almost all of the difference is caused by wins being converted into draws by Poch' tactics.
    As with AVB I fear that he lacks the ability to move away from his one & only playing philosophy, and will stick to the method regardless of the way the opposition are playing against it. At least Redknapp & Sherwood were happy to adjust the team to the opposition and make changes where needed to try and get a win rather than battle for a draw.

We were certainly warned before he joined that we were getting a manager with no plan b and it does appear to be the case.

But then I have to keep the faith because, as i've said repeatedly, we have to give someone the chance to do something rather than keep sacking the manager every 18 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were certainly warned before he joined that we were getting a manager with no plan b and it does appear to be the case.

But then I have to keep the faith because, as i've said repeatedly, we have to give someone the chance to do something rather than keep sacking the manager every 18 months.

Yet bizarrely we did that, kept Harry & Jol on for longer than anyone else all the way back to Gerry Francis (!) and they progressed the club. Then Levy, in his ultimate wisdom, gets shot of them and we immediately go down hill. Think Levy does wonders on finances but his decision making for managers is not great.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    Oh well. It's not like any of it really matters does it. We'll win some, we'll lose some. We'll probably finish somewhere between 6th and 8th. Man, we were doing that when I started supporting Spurs in the 60's. Taking the last 50 years as whole nothing much has changed and with the way football is now it's even less likely to in the future.
  • Options
    mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Spurs are a bit overloaded in the 3 behind Kane department.

Chadli, Dembele, Pritchard, Carroll, Njie, Son, Alli, Lamela, Townsend, Onamah and Eriksen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, we're short in some areas but not all areas.

We've got plenty of cover at the back with 2 GK's, 2 LB's and 2 RB's and five CB's, although that could drop to four if Dier is converted to a DM full time.

We've got an absolute plethora of midfield options. We've probably got at least 3 players who can play in the number 10 position. With N'Jie and Son, we've got two new players who can play wide as well, with Son probably looking at potentially second striker duties as well.

The two main areas we're short in are strikers and defensive midfield. If Bentaleb gets injured, Dier is the only backup. If Mason is injured, then at least we could slot Alli or Dembele in to that position.

If Kane gets injured then we really are screwed as Son and N'Jie between them likely wouldn't contribute nearly enough goals.

All in all, as frustrating as it is to not bring in anyone else today, we've signed five players in the window so far so it's not that awful ...
  • Options
    mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    All in all, as frustrating as it is to not bring in anyone else today, we've signed five players in the window so far so it's not that awful ...

Whilst on paper it's workable, I still think it's a pretty bad situation. I'd expect Lamela & Chadli to be cover for Kane.

If a club is willing to spend £20m on a Wanyama or Berahino, it shows that you're not that happy with your current options. So if those signings don't materialise, then I don't think it can be sugarcoated that much - even though I agree it's better not to buy rather than spend on plan z.

If Dier is to play midfield regularly, added to the fact Sevilla tried to loan back Fazio, then the club could have been short in defence aswell.

However much Levy signposted it, I don't think these last 2 weeks have been played out very well by Spurs.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, we didn't get the player we wanted, and we've ended up stuck with the two we wanted to get rid of. Not a great day.

I don't see us getting anywhere with Levy in charge until the PL dish out points for finances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lennon to Everton just confirmed
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing end to the window but as I said earlier as soon as Lamela's loan was cancelled it was obvious we wouldn't get anyone in.

It'll be interesting to read Levy's assessment but I expect he'll sugar coat it as usual.

If we are in the bottom third by Christmas I can see many more calls for his and Pochettino's heads
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if there's anything close to the truth in this but it's really quite incredible.
    Emmanuel Adebayor killed off any chance of playing football again before January after rejecting a Tottenham Hotspur pay-off and turning down a host of summer moves on the advice of his pastor.

The future of Adebayor has been one of the sagas of the summer and Telegraph Sport can reveal that he not only demanded huge money to leave Spurs, but also pulled out of a move to Aston Villa because he claimed he needed a sign from God.

Tottenham were desperate to offload Adebayor this summer and made the striker a deadline-day offer to cancel the remaining year of his £100,000-a-week contract, so that he could join a new club as a free agent.

But Adebayor initially rejected Tottenham’s offer, insisting that he would only leave if his contract was paid up front and in full, which would have cost the club around £5million.

Spurs were willing to pay Adebayor his £100,000-a-week wages until such time as he found a new club and supplement any shortfall he incurred by playing elsewhere, but refused to cave in to his sky-high demands.

With minutes of the transfer window remaining, Adebayor is understood to have signed the contract termination paper on Tottenham’s terms but changed his mind at the last minute and ruined any hopes of a move.

Also ..
    The 31-year-old had been close to joining Aston Villa at the end of July, but stunned Villa officials when, having completed a medical and posed for pictures in the club’s shirt, he stalled on the deal by claiming that he wanted a sign from God that it would be the correct move.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/11837986/Emmanuel-Adebayor-refuses-to-leave-Tottenham-Hotspur-because-he-needs-a-sign-from-God.html
This discussion has been closed.