Children wearing nappies to school: lazy parents blamed

Comments

• ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    It does sound like it varies in different areas. Where I am they take them for pre-school/nursery from 2 1/2 and there is no expectation that they should be potty trained, they will change nappies. I think most children start some form of pre-school at 3 when the funding kicks in but I don't think it should be expected that all children will be completely clean and dry by then (although a lot will).

School is a different matter. Some people seem to be confusing a nursery attached to a school with actually starting school. they may be in the same building but nursery attached to school is not what is being discussed in the article but actual school - which is reception.
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our government thinks it is. Our government actively promotes the opinion that mothers should not stay with their children and should go to work and leave the children in state run day care.

And just how are they supposed to earn a living? Or are they expected to live on benefits, until their children have left home? Oh sorry, that would never do, because then they will be dirty rotten, scumbag scroungers who should go out and find a job and not be lazy gits, living off the taxpayers.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    I know of a woman who sent a letter in to the High School to explain that her son was coming up after the summer and that she would need permission to come into school at intervals and lunchtime to wipe his bum for him (and no, he wasn't disabled in any way).
    I kid you not.

And I knew of woman who swallowed a fly.............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paddysu wrote: »
    Theres one thing with that article though thats definately true...

Sorry, can't accept that. Daily Mail?

...and thats using new disposable nappies that just don't let on to the child that they've even wet themselves. How are they going to learn unless they actually feel themselves wet and learn to associate it with doing something. If you're in no discomfort by just not controlling bladder than why go to the effort of it.

Ahh yes, lets's look at the "expert" who cast that particular premise:
    One nursery manager, who did not want to be named, told a newspaper: 'My theory is that children now feel too comfortable in disposable nappies and the message from the bladder that they are wet or uncomfortable doesn't reach the brain.
    'Years ago, in the days of terry towelling nappies, the children felt uncomfortable and the brain/ bladder connection developed earlier.'

Hardly a paediatrician, urologist, child psychologist or neurologist, is she.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    My Mother and Father both worked and they still managed to potty and then toilet train me , some days I went to nursery ( playschool they called them all back then ) and my nan looked after me on days I didnt go there , between them all they managed .

Some of todays parents dont seem to have a clue, one of my mates and his wife are lovely people but their kids get away with murder , they are still up and running around when I have been there for dinner and I am talking an arranged adult time dinner as in a nice evening out and so on not popping in at teatime to join the family. And these are intelligent people , no one could say they are parents who dont care or lack common sense (well not normally anyway) , it just seems to me that something has really changed in parenting since I was a kid ( and its not that long ago ) and its not for the better.
    I've seen all those examples myself. The amount of children I know who "choose their own bedtime", for instance. However, I'm not sure if this means parenting has changed. I knew kids like that when I was growing up - kids whose parents didn't know how (or didn't want the hassle of trying) to dicipline them or say the dreaded "no". Maybe it has increased, or maybe it's just our rose tinted spectacles?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diddygirl wrote: »
    They were my thoughts. My daughter is now 26 months and showing little interest in potty training, hence I have been reading up quite a bit. The concept of lazy parenting being spouted by the poster you quoted is ridiculous. The understanding of the need to poo and wee cannot be controlled in a child until certain neural pathways are made. ALL children are different, they will all walk, talk, feed themsleves all at different times. Controlling your need to poo and wee is no different. There is no way in heaven my daughter will be dry at night by 3 (her nappy is bulging in the morning at the moment). I expect the pooing part to be more difficult for my daughter for medical reasons, but at the moment she is long way off being ready for controlling her wees. To set a timetable is setting her and myself up for failure and possibly leading to making it even more difficult. Those parents who feel the need to tell everyone how your child was toilet trained by x time do not help, you're not better parents and your child is no more intelligent than others. Last time I checked the ability to control your bladder had little to do with understanding the laws of physics.

*Applauds*. There is nothing worse than some smug parent banging on about their kid being trained at 9 months, a year, whatever. My kid wasn't ready until a few months before he turned 4, his GP said he was perfectly okay, and that training too early can also cause problems.

Now that I have my second, I will do things differently ie not listening to other people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    norbet wrote: »
    Is it any wonder there's a shortage of teachers?

I for one would not put up with this "I'm too busy working" guff, if you're too busy to spend time with your kids and bring them up properly, don't have em in the first place.

Some people just don't get it do they, parenting isn't a part time job.
    You're damn right it's not. Now if only the government and the rest of society would catch up with your thinking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    It's definately time we introduced licensing for parents. A large proportion of the people we allow to breed at the moment simply haven't got a clue about how to raise a child succesfully.
    Is it a coincidence that when people talk about licencing parents they always use the word "breed"? Dehumanise much?
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Applauds*. There is nothing worse than some smug parent banging on about their kid being trained at 9 months, a year, whatever. My kid wasn't ready until a few months before he turned 4, his GP said he was perfectly okay, and that training too early can also cause problems.

Now that I have my second, I will do things differently ie not listening to other people.

The way I look at it is, if he's still doing it at 18 I'll just take him down the pub and explain to him man to man that he should really be using the toilet.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    And I knew of woman who swallowed a fly.............
    :D
    And that's not the worst story I could tell about parents.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And after a good session, it rarely matters. :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curls2006 wrote: »
    Is it a coincidence that when people talk about licencing parents they always use the word "breed"? Dehumanise much?
    Well, we're not vegetable or mineral, so I guess that makes us animal. How do animals procreate? By breeding if memory serves. ;)
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »
    Nursery and school are two different things. A school can have a nursery attached which often acts as a feeder for the school, but it is not the school. Nursery places are now available - free - from the age of three. Education must be commenced the term before the fifth birthday. Two different things

Term after fifth birthday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slipstreem wrote: »
    Well, we're not vegetable or mineral, so I guess that makes us animal. How do animals procreate? By breeding if memory serves. ;)
    Somewhat naively, you probably believe that words are merely a neutral description of reality and confer no value.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I look after my two year old Grandaughter often. She is in the middle of the training. At home she wears a long t-shirt with nothing on underneath and a potty is always close by and available to her at any time. It is very different when we go out because she is not good at waiting for me to get her quickly to one of the few shops which have a toilet (Debenhams, TKMax or BHS) and so she has to have a nappy on. Otherwise she is a good girl and does use her potty barring a few accidents of course at her age.

Nappies (size 5) for her age can be the easy pull up types, a bit like pants.
    You would have thought that most parents would be very keen to get their children out of nappies for the sheer expense of the things.

Not all children are the same and some take longer. Then there are some who have medical reasons as to why they are not getting the warning signals of a full bladder and through no fault of their own need nappies.

I didn't think that children were allowed into nursery before they were dry, my grandaughter has to be completely day time dry by September to go to hers, so it is a race against time.
    As for Primary school children 4 to 5 year olds, surely most children are daytime dry by then.

Sometimes it is down to laziness on the part of whoever is looking after the child if the mother is at work. What I find find more amazing is when I had to look after a ten year old and was shocked that he needed someone to come to the toilet with him to wipe his bottom because his mother always did that for him.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The time to really worry is when the teachers arive wearing nappies.
  • The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    MrsSpoon wrote: »
    Sometimes it is down to laziness on the part of whoever is looking after the child if the mother is at work. What I find find more amazing is when I had to look after a ten year old and was shocked that he needed someone to come to the toilet with him to wipe his bottom because his mother always did that for him.
    Seriously? :eek:
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Yeah but maybe there speaks the ultimate 'anal retentive':) (let kids be 'natural' and don't get hung up about externally imposed 'training' which may not be appropriate for their developmental arc).

This is surely a subject which demends some latitude?
    You give children the oppertuity and they do it naturally

In warmer weather you just put them in pants and leave a potty on the floor, kids do it naturally

Yes you get accidents (Ive mopped up my fair share of puddles) you dont scold them for it you just say never mind

when they ask for a wee wee you help and praise them, it all works out in the end
  • diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In warmer weather you just put them in pants and leave a potty on the floor, kids do it naturally

Yes you get accidents (Ive mopped up my fair share of puddles) you dont scold them for it you just say never mind

when they ask for a wee wee you help and praise them, it all works out in the end

But if they're not at the stage where they are interested in being trained there is no point forcing the issue. That method would not work with my daughter (she has daily laxatives so pooing is an issue). You have to find your own way.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    My son not longed turned 3 and is still in pull-ups. He goes to pre-school where they are happy to take him without being toliet trained. I was told they were not able to refuse taking a child that hadn't been trained due to discrimination.

It's now the holidays and now we are back from a week away we will start encouraging him more to use the toilet, but lots of times he point blank refuses to go upstairs to use it. We've praised him when he does use it, talk about him being a "big boy" etc but he's just not interested. So now I'm going to try a star chart when he uses it. He knows when he needs to do a poo, a wee I'm not too sure about, but I need to engage his interest really.

My daughter is 5 in August and started school last year (foundation). She is dry in the day but not at night and never has been. We have tried but she just wets herself. We just recently tried getting her up for a wee when we go to bed at about 11pm but she fights us, and refuses to stand up so we can pull her pants down. She suffers from night terrors and it's like she is having one when we take her to the loo - it's awful. So now we are stuck - any ideas how we crack this one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son not longed turned 3 and is still in pull-ups. He goes to pre-school where they are happy to take him without being toliet trained. I was told they were not able to refuse taking a child that hadn't been trained due to discrimination.

It's now the holidays and now we are back from a week away we will start encouraging him more to use the toilet, but lots of times he point blank refuses to go upstairs to use it. We've praised him when he does use it, talk about him being a "big boy" etc but he's just not interested. So now I'm going to try a star chart when he uses it. He knows when he needs to do a poo, a wee I'm not too sure about, but I need to engage his interest really.

My daughter is 5 in August and started school last year (foundation). She is dry in the day but not at night and never has been. We have tried but she just wets herself. We just recently tried getting her up for a wee when we go to bed at about 11pm but she fights us, and refuses to stand up so we can pull her pants down. She suffers from night terrors and it's like she is having one when we take her to the loo - it's awful. So now we are stuck - any ideas how we crack this one?

Don't send her to bed in pants.

I know I'm making it sound simple, my daughter had night terrors too. (They're awful aren't they:() I can only tell you what I did, and that was to wake her and speak in a soothing tone that you only want her to have a wee and that everything is ok. Good luck:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,449
    Forum Member
    Term after fifth birthday.

Its the year in which they turn 5 not the year after.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diddygirl wrote: »
    But if they're not at the stage where they are interested in being trained there is no point forcing the issue. That method would not work with my daughter (she has daily laxatives so pooing is an issue). You have to find your own way.

Exactly (my son is also on laxitives - isn't it fun!!!).

Kids will be ready when they are ready, if you potty train to early you are setting yourself and the child up for problems later in life.

My little boy got chicken pox at about 3 and a half, he had a pox in a place no little (or big) boy wants a pox - right on the very end :o He couldn't wear pants or nappies without it stinging like mad so he went bare bum and decided he was ready to use the toilet.

It's just a matter of time and patience, there's no great mystery. Kids all get there in the end (well most of them do).
  • buenoshermanosbuenoshermanos Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    How old is she? Round my way they don't get into nursery (they start at around 4 years old) if they aren't out of nappies - and rightly so.

My child is trained - she started at the nursery when she was two (only one half day a week though).

My point is only that people shouldn't be so judgemental about children's natural developmental arc.

The people whose children are having difficulties didn't write the laws on universal education - the school has to deal with the child it has.
  • buenoshermanosbuenoshermanos Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, that's how we did it (but later than your timetable) but it doesn't always work for all children and forcing the issue can be counter-productive.