Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girl behind Hugh Jackman's left shoulder is stunning.

Oh NO she isn't ! :yawn:
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Now there is a thing. You normally get to a fork in a river by heading *upstream*. So was this a magic weir which was flowing uphill? :confused:

Do you? You can get a fork in the river heading downstream.

I'm not familiar with the geography of the area so I couldn't tell whether they were travelling up or downstream. And thanks to some naff editing, looks like they were doing both.

Not a great episode I thought, bit of a waste of them "arsing about" for 40 minutes of the program. But "entertainment" is the way the show is heading so I should expect that.
  • Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,293
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »

I'm not familiar with the geography of the area so I couldn't tell whether they were travelling up or downstream. And thanks to some naff editing, looks like they were doing both.

Not a great episode I thought, bit of a waste of them "arsing about" for 40 minutes of the program. But "entertainment" is the way the show is heading so I should expect that.

'entertainment' has been the way it's been heading since the current trio came together, and (IMO) it's better for it. There's enough bits here and there for those who are more into it from the car purist angle, but it wouldn't be half as popular if it had stuck to the dreary show back when Tiff and Quentin were around. There are some episodes that are a bit poor, but there's usually at least a couple of shows per series with memorable moments in them - even those that are set up like the challenges... and even though the majority of the hovervan video was staged, it was still funny when JC was trying to park it, and blow away half of the tables :)

Should one of the main three choose to leave, it'd be interesting to see where it would go from there though...
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Now there is a thing. You normally get to a fork in a river by heading *upstream*. So was this a magic weir which was flowing uphill? :confused:
    You can get a fork in both directions with an island. If there's a weir, and the river is navigable, there will often be a route that by-passes it for boats.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    northlad wrote: »
    Not suprised the ratings are in free fall after that load of rubbish.

They're not in "free fall"
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone looking for a TV show which seriously reviews new cars is going to have long since abandoned Top Gear, so it's left to do what it does best with Clarkson, May and Hammond and that's to just arse about for an hour.

I thought the hovervan segments were hilarious. Yes of course it's all staged but that still doesn't stop it being funny. The funniest bits are largely the banter between the three presenters (May getting covered in flour from the fan was pure Three Stooges slapstick but still funny).

And as for the electric cars, hopefully they'll sort out the battery life problem at some point and car manufacturers will deliver vehicles that can go more than a few miles without a recharge. At the moment you can probably just about get away with it in a small country like the UK but I doubt anyone in somewhere the size of the US would even consider buying a car that needs a recharge after 100 miles, no matter how sporty it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    In my opinion if you want to review cars, buy a car magazine!
    Top Gear was hilarious last night.... the man in the suit falling out of the boat!!! :D
    James May is my favourite...Jeremy Clarkson can be a bit arrogant at times... and he needs a new stylist,.... you need to bin those jeans Jezza!:eek:
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was pretty, but not stunning........6/10, what she did have though, was a lovely toned slender figure.....:D

Now just after that, when Hammond was providing the link to the Hovervan section, just over his right shoulder, there was a beautiful blonde girl with a turquoise dress on, sunglasses on her head......Now she was pretty! ;)
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »

Just took a look at the river near Stratford-upon-Avon which is where they started out.

There is a weir there and a lock which you use to get past the weir so it appears that they went through the lock, then back through the lock unseen and then down the weir.

Google Maps

Edited: Found weir more likely close to Stratford
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artistic licence for entertainment effect.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't think they got very far away from SoA, did they?

(assuming a whole bunch of footage wasn't edited out of course!)

K
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »

The one behind Jackman was a hottie, stripy top, showing her midriff :p
    You seem easily pleased. She was nowt special. The tanned brunette to his left was cuter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Anyone looking for a TV show which seriously reviews new cars is going to have long since abandoned Top Gear, so it's left to do what it does best with Clarkson, May and Hammond and that's to just arse about for an hour.

I thought the hovervan segments were hilarious. Yes of course it's all staged but that still doesn't stop it being funny. The funniest bits are largely the banter between the three presenters (May getting covered in flour from the fan was pure Three Stooges slapstick but still funny).

And as for the electric cars, hopefully they'll sort out the battery life problem at some point and car manufacturers will deliver vehicles that can go more than a few miles without a recharge. At the moment you can probably just about get away with it in a small country like the UK but I doubt anyone in somewhere the size of the US would even consider buying a car that needs a recharge after 100 miles, no matter how sporty it is.
    I thought them reviewing an eletric supercar was interesting. I also thought one of the funniest comments in the show was about the batterly life and something like being on the track for 10 minutes and using 44% of the battery.

Another funny comment was Hammond telling them that the Hovervan had a 2 gallon tank.
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought TG was repeated on a monday??? but its not on any of the listings??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It on Wednesday
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ thanks
  • Options
    GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly. She was thin, and showing off her stomach because of it, but she had a bad face.
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »
    Oh NO she isn't ! :yawn:
    She was pretty, but not stunning........6/10, what she did have though, was a lovely toned slender figure.....:D

Now just after that, when Hammond was providing the link to the Hovervan section, just over his right shoulder, there was a beautiful blonde girl with a turquoise dress on, sunglasses on her head......Now she was pretty! ;)
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    You seem easily pleased. She was nowt special. The tanned brunette to his left was cuter.
    Gibman wrote: »
    Hardly. She was thin, and showing off her stomach because of it, but she had a bad face.
    Internet standards ahoy.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought them reviewing an eletric supercar was interesting. I also thought one of the funniest comments in the show was about the batterly life and something like being on the track for 10 minutes and using 44% of the battery.

Another funny comment was Hammond telling them that the Hovervan had a 2 gallon tank.

The problem is the recharging time at present but the fuel consumption isn't that much worse than petrol engines I'd have thought at those high speeds e.g. They've often shown super cars on the autobahn going through a tankful of petrol in short order.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing the India special on Dave today made me wishing all the Indian men doing the manual labour were actors and not locals paid peanuts and made to look silly.
  • Options
    jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    Loved it.
    Laughing so much in bed i got a whack from the mrs for waking her up

C'mon ...you staged that comment .:)

Everyone knows that Top Gear fans dont have wives or girlfriends..........;)

and those that do obviously dont have a sex life. ^^^^^ ;)

and on that bombshell......:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Gibman wrote: »

That's a bit harsh. I thought she was lovely, quite distracting.

She had a nice smile too.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bit harsh. I thought she was lovely, quite distracting.

She had a nice smile too.

It's sad the way people will make quite rude comments about complete strangers online. It is bad enough with celebrities but even worse when it is ordinary members of the public.

Perhaps anyone making ride comments about someone online should be required to display a serious of images of themselves so we can all join and comment on them.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Perhaps anyone making ride comments about someone online should be required to display a serious of images of themselves so we can all join and comment on them.
    Collective noun for passport photos?

K
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    Jeremy said on Twitter that this week's episode is a gem. :)
This discussion has been closed.