Options

Lady Gaga rips off.... Ginger Spice

kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was trying to find the video where Lady Gaga talks about being a big fan of and gives a shout out to Geri Halliwell at one of her Monster Ball concerts (I found it, here it is for anyone who is interested, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJnzFndP1mY&feature=player_embedded#!)

Anyway, during my search I came across this.

http://i56.tinypic.com/vqqe5h.jpg

Which made me extremely happy. Apparently it's been all over tumblr (whatever that is) and the 90s gays are lapping it up.

You're welcome x

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    ...lol.
  • Options
    fatpatiscallingfatpatiscalling Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    who'd rip geri off? lolz
  • Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who'd rip geri off? lolz

Gaga, clearly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure Madonna stans have copyright claim over Alejandro's video...so Geri stans better prepare themselves for onslaught. :p
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Well judging by those screen caps Geri herself ripped off Sister Act, Ready Steady Cook and people who wear ridiculously oversized glasses. :p
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Well, it's nice to give Lady Gaga fans a taste of their own medicine I guess. :D

But seriously, you can make out that any pop star has copied any pop star, but 99% of the time they haven't copied anyone.

I don't think Lady Gaga has copied her tbh. But at the same time, I don't think any other pop stars have ever copied Lady Gaga.
  • Options
    Cha Cha HeelsCha Cha Heels Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL at the notion that GaGa would rip off a talentless has been like Haggardwell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOL at the notion that GaGa would rip off a talentless has been like Haggardwell.

Now now, Look At Me is a bonafide classic. :cool:
  • Options
    Eat_My_DustEat_My_Dust Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Geri was the Lady GaGa of the 1996 to 2001 period so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest to hear Lady GaGa herself was inspired by her. GaGa has taste.
  • Options
    Nobody KnowsNobody Knows Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next up, Lady Gaga rips off Taylor Swift! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gaga has even copied my style too (i wish!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gaga has even copied my style too (i wish!)

You're breathing, Gaga is copying you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ..oh of course, how can i forget :p

it makes me laugh when gaga does something that intentionally "copies" someone but no one notices, when she doesn't, thats when she's "copying"
  • Options
    EvanWhisper05EvanWhisper05 Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People were making those heart shapes before either of those two. I don't get it. Once a particular gesture/costume/posture is made can NO ONE else do it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People were making those heart shapes before either of those two. I don't get it. Once a particular gesture/costume/posture is made can NO ONE else do it?

That's the whole point dear.
  • Options
    BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member

Taylor Swift was hardly the first to do that and Gaga had done that previous to the Judas video
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    Taylor Swift was hardly the first to do that and Gaga had done that previous to the Judas video

Once again. That's the whole point dear.
  • Options
    EvanWhisper05EvanWhisper05 Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the whole point dear.

Yeah, but when it comes to making a peace sign... seriously?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seem to recall Gaga doing a performance of Dance in the Dark at the Brits last year (in tribute to Alexander McQueen). Geri was interviewed afterwards and claimed she was a huge fan...but said she'd have preferred it if Gaga had sung a song she knew. (FAIL).
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smerph wrote: »
    Seem to recall Gaga doing a performance of Dance in the Dark at the Brits last year (in tribute to Alexander McQueen). Geri was interviewed afterwards and claimed she was a huge fan...but said she'd have preferred it if Gaga had sung a song she knew. (FAIL).

I remember that so well. Clearly if she was a huge fan, she would obviously own a copy of The Fame Monster and know Dance in the dark very well.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but when it comes to making a peace sign... seriously?

Everyone else seems to be drawing comparisons out of nowhere so I thought "What the Hell".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    this made me lol the outfits in the picture don't exactly resemble each other, also gerry wears union jack, gaga wears american flag :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The funny thing is, if this were a Madonna collage or the reports of gesture-theft were her rather than Taylor...this would be more largely seen as valid.

It's like when Steps said that Gaga's music was little different to theirs and what not, had it been someone more 'credible' it would probably be used as ammo, dragged out when a detractor required it along with all the other 'evidence'.

You'd hope that it would bring light to how silly the comparissons get with Gaga now as a scapegoat for anyone and everyone making accusations, but apparently not.
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funny thing is, if this were a Madonna collage or the reports of gesture-theft were her rather than Taylor...this would be more largely seen as valid.

It's like when Steps said that Gaga's music was little different to theirs and what not, had it been someone more 'credible' it would probably be used as ammo, dragged out when a detractor required it along with all the other 'evidence'.

You'd hope that it would bring light to how silly the comparissons get with Gaga now as a scapegoat for anyone and everyone making accusations, but apparently not.
    I actually think this user
    Geri was the Lady GaGa of the 1996 to 2001 period so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest to hear Lady GaGa herself was inspired by her. GaGa has taste.

Made a great post which got overlooked in amongst a load of lol's.

As for the Steps thing though. I have read plently people say Gaga's music isn't much different to the Vengaboys but because people don't view the Vengaboys and Steps as serious artists the claims are ignored.. Likewise with this Geri one which has been met with ROFL and LOL's when there is clearly some truth in Gaga being inspired by Geri. Just as Adele, Jessie J, Rihanna etc all were as well by their own admissions. Geri's legacy is a great one and not one to be laughed at. Not when so many of todays current female popstars keep saying how much she influenced them as teenagers. That stands for something and Geri should be proud of herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    I actually think this user

Made a great post which got overlooked in amongst a load of lol's.

As for the Steps thing though. I have read plently people say Gaga's music isn't much different to the Vengaboys but because people don't view the Vengaboys and Steps as serious artists the claims are ignored.. Likewise with this Geri one which has been met with ROFL and LOL's when there is clearly some truth in Gaga being inspired by Geri. Just as Adele, Jessie J, Rihanna etc all were as well by their own admissions. Geri's legacy is a great one and not one to be laughed at. Not when so many of todays current female popstars keep saying how much she influenced them as teenagers. That stands for something and Geri should be proud of herself.

Similarity does not mean it's intentional or even relevant, though.

What are the chances that Gaga and Steven Klein were inspired by Geri's Look At Me and Bag It Up videos? It's entirely probable that neither have seen either. Even I'd they have, the visual elements being considered here are not exclusive. Pastiching oversaturated tv shorts has been done, and referencing film noir is nothing new. Judging by what has been said about both elements by Gaga, she would have cited the Geri reference had there been. She paid exceptional pop cultural reference detail in the Telephone recipe, for instance, and thats a tidbit.

There's certainly not enough ground to make a valid accusation of plagerism.