The Spice Girls are 95% confirmed to perform for the London 2012 Closing Ceremony.

Comments

• WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    the spice girls were good at what they did and sold a lot of records, however this attempt to elevate them and their songs and suggest they are something they are not is nonsensical, they are an average girlband who somehow lucked onto massive success, no better than girls aloud , the sugababes, the saturdays etc, the nonsensical meaningless sub feminist bullshit of girl power was also pathetic

I didn't try to elevate their songs. What I said was factual. They ARE one of the biggest British exports of the 90s. Imo they fully deserve their place on the closing ceremony. In other peoples' opinions they dont. Go figure.
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the girls and all, but, I have to disagree with you here. I dont think this means their music has stood the test of time bar a few songs. I think the majority of their songs are very much "of their time" and sound very 90s. But that, for me, is the charm of listening to them again so many years on.

But the Beatles songs sound very 60's..

Early Madonna sounds very 80's...

it's all in the production.

I was just saying that the fact that one of the the biggest musical producers in the world at the moment is using the Spice Girls songs for a, hopefully, long running and successful international stage show surely means that their songs have stood the test of time.

Wait until you see Viva Forever!, I cannot even express what an amazing show it is going to be.

You will see the songs in a whole new light and fall in love all over again.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monster101 wrote: »
    poppycock

I am pretty sure that I am better placed to judge what me and all my pals were doing in 96-97.
    We sure as hell weren't listening to the Spice Girls.
    In fact none of the girls we knew were listening to the spice girls either because they'd obviously left school discos behind, when they left school.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »

I was just saying that the fact that one of the the biggest musical producers in the world at the moment is using the Spice Girls songs for a, hopefully, long running and successful international stage show surely means that their songs have stood the test of time.

Wait until you see Viva Forever!, I cannot even express what an amazing show it is going to be.

I'm so excited about seeing the show. Your post just makes me even more excited!!! Sorry if this has already been asked but what do you do with the SGs? Are you involved with the show only, or have you worked with them previously? Or maybe you cant answer, which I'll understand.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

FFS - their songs were mainly bought by pre teens in the 90's , i didnt fall in love with their music the first time and neither did anyone i know,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the beatles early sound is very 60's, their later stuff incorporated a variety of styles which ranged from music hall, country to psychedelia and proto heavy metal and many of their songs are classic
    madonnas 80's stuff is classic pop

the spice girls stuff is average late 90's stuff and sounds dated because of its averageness and lack of innovation - not one of their songs is classic
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so excited about seeing the show. Your post just makes me even more excited!!! Sorry if this has already been asked but what do you do with the SGs? Are you involved with the show only, or have you worked with them previously? Or maybe you cant answer, which I'll understand.

Ah.
    So Kenny 12 is on, or has been on, the Spice payroll.
    That explains an awful lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    the beatles early sound is very 60's, their later stuff incorporated a variety of styles which ranged from music hall, country to psychedelia and proto heavy metal and many of their songs are classic
    madonnas 80's stuff is classic pop

the spice girls stuff is average late 90's stuff and sounds dated because of its averageness and lack of innovation - not one of their songs is classic

This Guy! Or Gal!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't try to elevate their songs. What I said was factual. They ARE one of the biggest British exports of the 90s. Imo they fully deserve their place on the closing ceremony. In other peoples' opinions they dont. Go figure.

that was directed at the thread starter not you, i'm sure there are plenty of other crap acts playing also - so i have no real problem with the spice girls turning up for 10 minutes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Tellytubbies were a great export in the 90's and they had a record.
    Should they perform?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without wanting to slip to your level and insult you for no good reason other than music taste, I think its fair to point out that people who liked the Spice Girls also could and can like other music genre's/bands/acts. We just have more diverse tastes and don't take ourselves, or our love of music, too seriously. So, imo, your "lower sh*t tolerance" statement falls on its arse and reinforces my original opinion of people's snobbery.

Ok well if you wish to persist with 'music snobbery' then the obvious opposite will have to be musical serf.
    So Whispering Ghost you are a Musical Serf!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will they go to sing live?:o
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really admire the loyal fans of the Spice Girls but really Reading through some posts you would think they were the biggest band the Uk had produced. Sorry but they were a huge phenonomon for a couple of years that's it!. Yes they demonstrate that with good marketing in fact most probably one of the best ever marketed brands you can have hysteria around the world and product placement ensuring global success. But fact is they had two hit albums and a about 10hit singles round the world. It's hardly earth shattering. Realistically then Cliff Richard should be closing the ceremony as he has had over a hundred hits has sold out tours in six decades.
    I do agree that they should feature in a montage section of the games but it's 2012 not 1990's Olympics.
    The whole thing is self promotion for the musical as they really don't give two hoots about the fans. They didn't care when they split and started slagging each other off even though thousands of little girls were devastated. They continued to slag off both the band and themselves until there careers were all faltering but suddenly the I offer of 10 million for a reunion tour and they were all best friends again. After the concerts they were back to slating each other again. Sorry but reality check they are all pretty irrelevant now. Posh has hung off the cuff of David to keep her in the media. Scary after a number of flop albums and singles with a few dodgy presenting stints. Baby another casualty of reality Z Celeb outings. Geri initially quite successful solo career but let her ego get in the way. Mel C initially successful solo career buti think she still has a loyal fan base and is well respected. Spice Girls leave them in the back catalogue. There music has not stood the test of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mirror and Sun today are hilarious.

And for once, shades of accuracy in places!

It's all going on :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they can't get on and it's Only to promote the musical then let Adele fly the modern flag for British music I've never liked Geri and vb needs to stop thinking she's the most important person in the world I'd prefer Melanie C and Brian Adams to perform there duet at the games or Melanie C dueting with Brian may performing we will rock you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    Ok well if you wish to persist with 'music snobbery' then the obvious opposite will have to be musical serf.
    So Whispering Ghost you are a Musical Serf!

That's fine. So long as we are clear where we both stand :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    Ah.
    So Kenny 12 is on, or has been on, the Spice payroll.
    That explains an awful lot.

Well maybe you'd be better asking him instead of quoting my post which was full of questions and not statements. Sums up the mindframe of some people posting in this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well maybe you'd be better asking him instead of quoting my post which was full of questions and not statements. Sums up the mindframe of some people posting in this thread.

I'll PM you :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes imagine the mind frame of folk actually quoting the post they are referring to? The gall of some folk!
    Everyone should just post replies and responses without any reference and then we should all have fun trying to figure out what anyone is going on about.
    Oh God now I've done it again, i've only gone and quoted the post I am replying to.
    Bugger!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll PM you :)

Just replied. Thanks :)
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that the fact that the Spice Girls' music is being turned into a big budget Stage Production by Judy Craymer and Jennifer Saunders is evidence that their music has stood the test of time.
    You're very much looking at the world with rose-tinted glasses. Hardly any station that plays AC playlisted music will schedule the Spice Girls. You only have to look at the stats on compare my radio which gives you a rough guide.

Plays within the last 30 days:

Spice Girls - 150
    Blur - 1405
    Oasis - 2006
    Madonna - 4954
    Savage Garden - 1006
    Texas - 814
    Lighthouse Family - 564

You only have to see a taste of British music within the same period as the Spice Girls and compare them; to stand the test of time, you need figures such as Blur, Oasis, Madonna who are truly global superstars in their own right. Okay, the Spice Girls got many more number ones than some of these bands. That was down to clever marketing and catchy pop tunes. They barely have a mark down in British pop history apart from the accolade of number ones.

Admittedly, I was a big fan of them because of their appeal to pre-teenage boys at the time. However, I'd be heavily disappointed if they were picked to close the closing ceremony over bands who are musically talented and have a stronger hold in British music history. Blur, Queen (with a duet to someone leading), Robbie Williams, Take That. Take your pick; I'd place them all in front of the Spice Girls at least!

Sorry Kenny. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the British public have a very stern view of the Spice Girls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hotmat3k wrote: »
    Sorry Kenny. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the British public have a very stern view of the Spice Girls.

Which is why London tickets for Their Musical are selling like hot cakes...

Sorry, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but unfortunately, as an American, I'm not entirely familiar with most of those acts.

I had never even heard of Take That or Robbie Williams until I moved here.

We had Backstreet Boys, N*Sync and Justin Timberlake who kind of did the whole thing that bit better..

You should be proud of acts like the Spice Girls who were successful all over the world.

You do realise it's a concert?
    The Spice Girls won't be the only ones chosen to perform.

Keep your bonnets on girls!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but unfortunately, as an American, I'm not entirely familiar with most of those acts.

We had Backstreet Boys, N*Sync and Justin Timberlake who kind of did the whole thing that bit better..

You should be proud of acts like the Spice Girls who were successful all over the world.

you also had destinys child, tlc, en vogue who did it much better than the spice girls
  • johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ok, we now get your Spice Girls agenda, you've obviously got a motive, but you should for once just step outside of your Spice Girls bubble and gauge what the majority of the public think about them especially as those radio airplay figures suggests..Yes, some people remember them fondly, but a mighty lot of people just didn't like them originally and equally a lot of people are embarrased for liking them in the first place. There may be a novelty aspect for thinking about including them in the Olympic ceremony, much like the Teletubbies would be, but personally I think it would be wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't need to guage public opinion lol.

Tickets for Viva Forever are doing better than anyone could have hoped already.

They have recieved more press attention from around the world the past few days than any other act rumored to be appearing at the ceremony. By a country mile!

Girl Power.

Haters gonna hate!