Do you think that the police are doing enough to protect us from terrorist

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
Forum Member
Do you think that the police are doing enough to protect us from Muslim terrorist?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. It's the Tellytubby terrorism that is being completely ignored and neglected.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything more intrusive, like random Stop and Search on the streets or routine interception of the content (rather than source, destination and heading) of your electronic communication, and we'd be asking "is enough being done to protect us from the Police?"
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    If you think about it, acts of terrorism are very rare and I believe that the authorities are doing a wonderful job, we often hear of groups who've been stopped in their tracks. The problem is more one of hysteria by the general public and idiots who believe that all Muslims are terrorists, they're far more of a threat to peace in general.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    jenny118 wrote: »
    Do you think that the police are doing enough to protect us from Muslim terrorist?

I think the police are doing a great job of protecting use from ALL terrorists
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Considering just how rare the attacks are then yes.

I have more chance in going out today and getting killed by some random person (who isn't a terrorist) than I have a terrorist.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you think that the police could detect people who wake up one morning and decide to use the contents of their kitchen to kill someone.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    which one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Only if you think that the police could detect people who wake up one morning and decide to use the contents of their kitchen to kill someone.

Which no-one could protect us from anyway............
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    The barbaric killing this week was the first death in the UK resulting from ANY terrorist action in eight years, so yes the Police etc appear to be doing a very good job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Great_Britain

As well as the action against actual terrorist plots I would like to see more well publicised prosecutions for incitement to commit such acts though.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    The barbaric killing this week was the first death in the UK resulting from ANY terrorist action in eight years
    In Great Britain - in Northern Ireland there have been several including soldiers. But hey, that' "just the Irish" and they don't count

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/08/northern-ireland-soldiers-killed-antrim
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/02/omagh-booby-trap-bomb-policeman-killed
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/12/david-black-new-ira-prison-officer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that the security services do a good job . I go to bed a night feeling reasonably safe . However this does not detract from the outrage I feel towards the cowardly and appaling act of the murder of Lee Rigby .
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not if only some of them are armed.
    Forum Member
    PPhilster wrote: »
    Not if only some of them are armed.

And the last attacks what have happened it wouldn't matter if they were more armed than the Terminator meets Rambo they would still have happened as would pretty much every terrorist attack in the world.

Gun or arms do not protect us from Terrorist's unless a Police Officer happens to be stood in the right place at the right time and that would only count for a terrorist with a gun or bladed weapon if they could take then down in time.

But the amount of terrorist attacks that do happen it wouldn't be worth arming The Police anyway as they are very very rare
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the last attacks what have happened it wouldn't matter if they were more armed than the Terminator meets Rambo they would still have happened as would pretty much every terrorist attack in the world.

Gun or arms do not protect us from Terrorist's unless a Police Officer happens to be stood in the right place at the right time and that would only count for a terrorist with a gun or bladed weapon if they could take then down in time.

But the amount of terrorist attacks that do happen it wouldn't be worth arming The Police anyway as they are very very rare

What if those two guys decided to attack other people while the unarmed police waited for the armed police to show up 15-20 minutes later?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    They didnt did they . Calm women chilled them out for a bit, imagine if the women had of been american and armed with colt 45's i dare say it wouldnt of ended so peacefully.
    Forum Member
    What if those two guys decided to attack other people while the unarmed police waited for the armed police to show up 15-20 minutes later?

As I said it may have helped in cases like that but those cases are to rare.

Plus they wanted to be killed anyway to make themselves martyrs so having armed police around who would have done that would have more than likely made them kill someone else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said it may have helped in cases like that but those cases are to rare.

Plus they wanted to be killed anyway to make themselves martyrs so having armed police around who would have done that would have more than likely made them kill someone else.

How is it rare that waiting on armed police gives criminals more time to do harm if they choose too?
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

That's odd. NRG was on here the other day saying what a peaceful place NI is.
    Forum Member
    How is it rare that waiting on armed police gives criminals more time to do harm if they choose too?

Terrorist attacks like are rare

I agree in other cases armed Police may be helpful but not when it comes to terrorists.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What more than anything else protects us against "Muslim terrorists" is the fact that very, very few of Britian's 2.9 million Muslims are terrorists committed to waging war on home soil.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But they didn't, which is why the Police didn't need to approach at that point.

If they had acted in a different way, then so would the Police.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I do. We the general public have very little knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes on a daily basis. The fact that terrorist attacks in this country are pretty rare shows what a good job the police are doing, in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrorist attacks like are rare

I agree in other cases armed Police may be helpful but not when it comes to terrorists.

Obviously I am not talking about just terror attacks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they didn't, which is why the Police didn't need to approach at that point.

If they had acted in a different way, then so would the Police.

The only way they could have is by improvising with some kind of makeshift weapon. Obviously that wouldn't be an issue if all your police were armed.
    Forum Member
    The only way they could have is by improvising with some kind of makeshift weapon. Obviously that wouldn't be an issue if all your police were armed.

But I do think that is one case where having armed Police would be worse as they waited for the armed Police to arrive before doing anything as that is just what they wanted if all Police were armed they may of killed someone else just so the police had to choice but to shoot them and make them martyrs