Options

Why do women always straighten their curly hair?

Comments

• Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not all women with curly hair straighten it, although I know a lot do. I have very curly hair, and I have never tried to straighten it, and never will. I like having curly hair.

It's only the current generation of teenagers and possibly early 20s that think it's a sin not to straighten your hair.

I get young people shouting insults at me about my hair in the street, but people of about 30+ complimenting me on it!
    Seriously? That's so f*ucked up!
  • Options
    Mel O'DramaticMel O'Dramatic Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have naturally curly, fine but lots-of-it hair. I look ridiculous with straight hair as it goes all flat on top, and people who know me have actually walked past and not recognised me. It's also amazing how many hairdressers have no clue how to cut curly hair - it grows differently to straight hair and requires a different approach. I've had some terrible haircuts due to incompetent hairdressers. Fortunately, my best friend is also my hairdresser and she has corkscrew curls so knows exactly what she's doing. :D

And I've yet to find a product that deals with frizz & curly hair. Doesn't exist >:( but I do get compliments on my hair sometimes which is nice.
  • Options
    FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found customers always want the opposite of what they have, human nature i guess.
  • Options
    Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naturally thick, curly, black hair runs in my family. As a child and teenager, I hated the curls, and used to vigorously brush them out. Then when I was about 16, I decided, why not let it curl? - and have done so ever since.

When my hair is wet, and allowed to dry naturally, either if I wash it or if it gets rained on, it goes into a mass of ringlets, which I love.

BTW, do envy the couple of people on here who've mentioned having waist-length hair! I wish I could grow my hair that long! Mine gets to a few inches below my shoulders and then stops! >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the straightest hair in the world and hate it. It's long and boring.
    Would love some natural loose waves.
    I have no idea why the ironed to death look is so fashionable and converted.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naturally thick, curly, black hair runs in my family. As a child and teenager, I hated the curls, and used to vigorously brush them out. Then when I was about 16, I decided, why not let it curl? - and have done so ever since.

When my hair is wet, and allowed to dry naturally, either if I wash it or if it gets rained on, it goes into a mass of ringlets, which I love.

BTW, do envy the couple of people on here who've mentioned having waist-length hair! I wish I could grow my hair that long! Mine gets to a few inches below my shoulders and then stops! >:(
    I have waist length hair but mine is dead straight so therefore it just grows straight down. Your hair is very curly and it grows spirally - so if your hair is a few inches below shoulder in its curly form, the actual true length itself will be much longer! So maybe your hair can to get waist length, it just doesn't hang that length.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I don't then people always ask me why I don't. It does my head in, if I want my hair curly I can have it curly.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the girls I have know that straighten their hair ALREADY HAVE STRAIGHT HAIR.
    That's some effed up shiz right there
  • Options
    Pallas_athenaPallas_athena Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    FunkyJawa wrote: »
    It saddens me. Curls are gorgeous!

Straight hair is pretty boring. Fact!

My ex used to tell me straight hair is more attractive than curly. What does he know. He watched cartoons all day!
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I have curly hair and although I do dry it straight I recently just left it to dry curly. My new (ish) workmates thought I'd had a perm. I don't mind it either way, but my curls can seem pretty wild and, it may be my imagination, but I find that I get more curious/odd looks with it curly. My theory is that it's more unusual to see hair like mine.

Curly hair, especially on women, has not been fashionable for some years. I wish it would come back in fashion, if only so that there would be more products available. The shelves are heaving with smoothing hair products but I still can't find a light spray which promotes curls. I used to use something called 'Noodle Head'- but it's discontinued.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pointless
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Seriously? That's so f*ucked up!

Yes seriously! On quite a regular basis in fact. One silly teenage girl repeatedly shouted Poodlehead at me, so I said: "Actually that's probably a compliment, because poodles are usually quite well groomed!" Her expression was so funny, she just stared at me in astonishment!
    And I've yet to find a product that deals with frizz & curly hair. Doesn't exist >:( but I do get compliments on my hair sometimes which is nice.

Have you tried the Naked haircare range? I find their products work wonders.
  • Options
    babyshezbabyshez Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cause curly hair is a pain in the butt!
  • Options
    SweetAngelxSweetAngelx Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    FunkyJawa wrote: »
    It saddens me. Curls are gorgeous!

Straight hair is pretty boring. Fact!

I just prefer having my hair straight, I think it is a more flattering look. Sleek shiny straight hair looks immaculate.

Heat styling take its toll though! :blush:
  • Options
    Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member

I recommend Pro-Naturals.com it is a hair repair system. No more brittle, frizzy ends and no more split ends.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just prefer having my hair straight, I think it is a more flattering look. Sleek shiny straight hair looks immaculate.

You can get a look that is almost perfect with straightners that wavy/ curly hair can never really recreate.

You are correct though, over time it will destroy it :(

It needs a rest on weekends apart from special occasions!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Maybe not, use Pro Naturals as I mentioned but also check out Karmin's Salon Series hair straightener..................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lin4237 wrote: »
    Maybe not, use Pro Naturals as I mentioned but also check out Karmin's Salon Series hair straightener..................

Thankyou, I will. I cannot afford new straighteners at the moment but I want a kinder one when I am able to purchase. :)

Btw just checked Karmin's site and that is just the type I want. How can they guarantee a 3rd less damage to hair though? Looks very impressive!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago I remember looking out of the office window at chucking out time and wondering why it was that when formerly attractive young girls with long hair got married, almost overnight, they'd get the compulsory curly perm and turn into middle-aged frumps in the blink of an eye.
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I have afro hair and I would love for it to be lovely and curly but in reality no matter how much I brush it it tangles and knots up seconds later. It's just easier to have it relaxed straight (or braided) for me to maintain daily.

It's so unfair because I have cousins who are also mixed race and their have the perfect balance between european and afro hair so it's all beautiful curls that are easy to maintain and then there is me with my birds nest. I guess like others have said you always want what you can't have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think this explains the appeal of straight flawless looking hair. Naturally straight hair tends to just hang and look a bit lifeless and without shine, but hair that is straightened with irons is altogether different.

Compare Jennifer Anniston with straight locks-

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTYz6SbkOH-OUJdbty4BkfkvtqJxpGBQpkKncT65SX6kWxH0eg

To with wavy tresses-

http://www.beauty-and-the-bath.com/image-files/jennifer-aniston-wavy-bob.jpg

I tried to find images from the same time frame and as you can see the straight hair just adds a sensual appeal the boho styling doesn't.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    I think this explains the appeal of straight flawless looking hair. Naturally straight hair tends to just hang and look a bit lifeless and without shine, but hair that is straightened with irons is altogether different.

Compare Jennifer Anniston with straight locks-

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTYz6SbkOH-OUJdbty4BkfkvtqJxpGBQpkKncT65SX6kWxH0eg

To with wavy tresses-

http://www.beauty-and-the-bath.com/image-files/jennifer-aniston-wavy-bob.jpg

I tried to find images from the same time frame and as you can see the straight hair just adds a sensual appeal the boho styling doesn't.

It's probably not the best picture of her to demonstrate how nice Jennifer's wavy hair looks; personally I think it looks better than the straight pic.

I love beach waves, if I could wear my hair like that every day I would, it's more of a pretty/feminine/romantic look imo.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    I have afro hair and I would love for it to be lovely and curly but in reality no matter how much I brush it it tangles and knots up seconds later. It's just easier to have it relaxed straight (or braided) for me to maintain daily.

It's so unfair because I have cousins who are also mixed race and their have the perfect balance between european and afro hair so it's all beautiful curls that are easy to maintain and then there is me with my birds nest. I guess like others have said you always want what you can't have.

Afro hair is lovely. You can have the nice big curls too but you need to grow it to a certain length for the curls to really loosen up; that's easier said than done I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    It's probably not the best picture of her to demonstrate how nice Jennifer's wavy hair looks; personally I think it looks better than the straight pic.

I love beach waves, if I could wear my hair like that every day I would, it's more of a pretty/feminine/romantic look imo.

I searched "Jennifer Anniston wavy hair" (feeling a wee bit tragic it must be said ) and that was the first image that I saw, I promise! :D

I think ironed hair looks much nicer but each to their own. :) I thought the style Jennifer Anniston that was so envied and sought after was totally over rated but I do like the colour, that is very soft and feminine.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Use Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil leave in treatment after every shampoo and before drying/styling. My daughter used to suffer from frizz and static, but ever since she started using Pro Naturals no problems.