• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No different to businesses supplying their employees with a laptop/tablet
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No different to businesses supplying their employees with a laptop/tablet

Exactly why shouldn't they have them to do their job?
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Trivia.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why Apple products?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Why Apple products?

They are idiot proof - perfect for our politicians
  • poshblokeposhbloke Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why Apple products?

I would imagine that there will have been an open tendering process with Apple (or a re-seller?) producing a bid which was adjudged to provide "best value". Government procurement is generally quite a convoluted process - very different to the private sector. It almost certainly will not have been simply at the whim of a procurement manager.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why Apple products?

Why not?

If you went to work you would expect a computer to be provided why shouldn't they have a laptop to use on a train?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poshbloke wrote: »
    I would imagine that there will have been an open tendering process with Apple (or a re-seller?) producing a bid which was adjudged to provide "best value". Government procurement is generally quite a convoluted process - very different to the private sector. It almost certainly will not have been simply at the whim of a procurement manager.

I did procurement in government department it is complicated and tricky they always changing suppliers and the products allowed.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the OP subject and thought "well at least they are saving money and buying an old iPad 2" then I saw the link... :)
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Better than them fiddling their expenses to get them.

2) If you get paid to spout crap to the world you should also be provided with the equipment to do it.

3) How else are they supposed to play Candy Crush during the public meetings of Select Committees?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Better than them fiddling their expenses to get them.

2) If you get paid to spout crap to the world you should also be provided with the equipment to do it.

3) How else are they supposed to play Candy Crush during the public meetings of Select Committees?

When I left civil service last year we were still using Windows XP and Outlook 2003 and Internet Explorer 6.

The computers crashed all the time and they never upgrade because they are scared of public reaction to them spending money as a result things never worked right.

If people accepted that people need up to date tools to do the job maybe government departments would be more efficient.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Makes sense to give them something portable because they have to work in different locations as M.P.s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    When I left civil service last year we were still using Windows XP and Outlook 2003 and Internet Explorer 6.

The computers crashed all the time and they never upgrade because they are scared of public reaction to them spending money as a result things never worked right.

If people accepted that people need up to date tools to do the job maybe government departments would be more efficient.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Data security nightmare waiting to happen
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    They are idiot proof - perfect for our politicians

Reading this, has made my day.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Luxury...when I was there we were still writing on vellum we had to prepare by skinning the calves ourselves and were writing with quill pens we had to pluck from the geese we were obliged to keep at home. Mind we did get to eat the goose on the occasion of the Queen's Birthday for which we got a day's leave ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Data security nightmare waiting to happen

They paid microsoft a fee to keep providing security as they tried to upgrade the systems.

They have upgraded IE now I believe and they were talking about upgrading to Windows 7 and a upgraded Outlook and people having wide screen monitors but I am not sure if they ever managed to get these in place.

The computers used to crash constantly and you couldn't do much with IE as it always asked you to upgrade.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth did MPs ever manage without these things, my god it must have been like living in the stone age, having to be properly prepared before meetings instead of assuming you could just look it up if you hadn't bothered...

Have we asked who's getting the percentage yet?
    That said, it's probably cheaper to buy 650 in bulk than for them all to each get one and claim for it off their allowance.

Though perhaps the real critical question is as to how well they stick to open standards for their documents, otherwise everything is going to end up with severely limited accessibility.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes sense to manage IT procurement, support and security centrally rather than having every MP buy their own on expenses.

I wonder how many MPs currently have confidential constituency, government or parliamentary correspondence on their personal devices without any security at all?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not?

If you went to work you would expect a computer to be provided why shouldn't they have a laptop to use on a train?

I think the point was why Apple, not why have a tablet at all.

There are plenty of non-Apple laptops and tablets.
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Word must have got around parliament how addictive Candy Crush is!
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not?

Because they can't run any useful software.

Not much use beyond doing email or browsing the web and this can be done for half the price on other platforms.
  • Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not much use beyond doing email or browsing the web and this can be done for half the price on other platforms.

You've seen the procurement tender then?

Don't get me wrong, I made my tablet decision on what i felt was best value (Nexus 7 if anybody cares), but I do not know how much these actually cost the government.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One area where Apple excels is in the ability for a corporation to lock down the devices to only allow them to be used for business purposes. I would hope that Parliament is going to do the same here - no playing Angry Birds by bored MPs during dull commons debates

iPads and Macs can run plenty of useful software. I am not sure where you've got that from. It'll definitely let them do email and read/create documents, which is probably most of the work

Apple may have offered superior service and support, too - most other manufacturers want you to send stuff off for a few weeks to be fixed, Apple might be willing to offer quick exchanges of dead iPads and to allow Parliament IT people to become service technicians

And I doubt that Parliament is paying full retail since it's a large and prestigious order