BT infinity fibre optic being installed on Tuesday

Comments

• Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
  • Options
    MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the more tech minded on here can explain. On the link supplied above it states Milton Keynes as being upgraded Summer 2010 -2011. Does that mean all of the cabinets connected to the exchange will be upgraded or just some.

The MK exchange covers a vast area, and I am over 5Km from this exchange. I can't see that BT would install that length of fibre for 800 or so houses in our village.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    When they say that an exchange has been ''upgraded' what they actually mean, is they have put 1 green cabinet somewhere linked to that exchange.

Its typical of useless BT. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    MeanMint wrote: »
    Perhaps the more tech minded on here can explain. On the link supplied above it states Milton Keynes as being upgraded Summer 2010 -2011. Does that mean all of the cabinets connected to the exchange will be upgraded or just some.

The MK exchange covers a vast area, and I am over 5Km from this exchange. I can't see that BT would install that length of fibre for 800 or so houses in our village.

It probably means this one:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMBT
  • Options
    3dom3dom Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pericom wrote: »

I can't see my exchange on that list :(
  • Options
    MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    pericom wrote: »

Yes I know it's that one, but if you look at the map and then show the coverage your will know what I mean. Milton Keynes is a unique town where only a few exchanges cover the geographical area. If you look outside MK in villages like Cranfield and North Crawley they have exchanges built there, Newton Longville on the other hand for some reason does not warrent this and is connected to the MK exchange. Some 5Km away.

Currently just about get 1Mb download on a good day, BT have a lot to do if were to reach the 2Mb mark. I can't see it happening any time soon.
  • Options
    mrvgargmrvgarg Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Does this upgrade only allow BT to provide internet or will all people on providers such as Be will see a speed upgrade? Thanks
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any ISP can buy in to it and provide it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    did the speedtester site give you your sync rates?
    they always set the IP profile below the sync rate to allow for issues on the line. but in theory your speedtest.net results should be close to the 35Mb.

No, it only gave me the IP Profile. Here is a screen capture of the results : http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/nijohc/speed.jpg

Strange that my download speed was higher than the IP profile? Also on speedtest.net I average about 37.5mb also... not complaining mind, just interested in the tech. :D
    mrvgarg wrote: »
    Hi

Does this upgrade only allow BT to provide internet or will all people on providers such as Be will see a speed upgrade? Thanks

Only BT and aaisp.net.uk offer packages at the moment, expect other ISP's to join the bandwagon later in the year. If you have FTTC enabled you could always contact your ISP, some of them are doing trials and will allow you to switch to fibre.
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Hmmn. Fair enough. The 110GB should come fairly close to their allowed limit, though.

The limit, before throttling to 1Mb at peak time, on the up to 8/24Mb service, is 100GB per month so by the posters own admisison they go over it.
  • Options
    wod1wod1 Posts: 6,152
    Forum Member
    so how does this fibre to the green bt cabinets work ?

do bt have to dig up the pavement to install it or is there channels already in place where the existing copper cable runs ?
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wod1 wrote: »
    so how does this fibre to the green bt cabinets work ?

do bt have to dig up the pavement to install it or is there channels already in place where the existing copper cable runs ?

It uses the existing ducting in place. In my area, there's just a small bit of footpath that's been dug up to allow the fibre to be fed from the duct to the cabinet so it's not very messy at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    3dom wrote: »
    I can't see my exchange on that list :(

FTTC was going to be available on Feb 9th 2010 in my area
    then it went to March 9th
    now it has totally vanished
    with a " Check back later for updates "
    :cry:
    G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    galdana wrote: »
    FTTC was going to be available on Feb 9th 2010 in my area
    then it went to March 9th
    now it has totally vanished
    with a " Check back later for updates "
    :cry:
    G
    Even on the postcode checker? Have you noticed any activity around the cabinets?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Even on the postcode checker? Have you noticed any activity around the cabinets?

It was the post code checker that was giving the Feb and March dates, that have now dissapeared and no activity around my cabinet,it's only 25 metres away.

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    galdana wrote: »
    It was the post code checker that was giving the Feb and March dates, that have now dissapeared and no activity around my cabinet,it's only 25 metres away.

G
    Interesting. They may be delayed in other areas so yours may have been pushed back and they don't know when installation will commence. Hopefully for you anyway, and not that it's been decided your area isn't going to be upgraded!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    The limit, before throttling to 1Mb at peak time, on the up to 8/24Mb service, is 100GB per month so by the posters own admisison they go over it.

Okay. I'm glad you've said they throttle their connection at peak times. This just goes to show that they STILL throttle their network traffic nearly 1 year on after I left them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay. I'm glad you've said they throttle their connection at peak times. This just goes to show that they STILL throttle their network traffic nearly 1 year on after I left them.
    I can't see them changing that policy due to the cost of adding more Centrals. Even though they charge a lot and have a fair amount of customers, it appears giving the best possible service to the customer isn't one of their top priorities!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It still doesn't agree with the point you were trying to make though when you come out with stuff like:-
    Are you an extremely light surfer, though? If you've got a reputation for just surfing websites [mostly], then they won't touch you. BT just love the light surfers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    But ONLY those Option Three subscribers who go over 100 GBytes pcm.
  • Options
    S-T-E-V-ES-T-E-V-E Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The upload is impressive, download speed will look even more pedestrian when VM launch their 100Mbps product later this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S-T-E-V-E wrote: »
    The upload is impressive, download speed will look even more pedestrian when VM launch their 100Mbps product later this year.
    100Mb isn't required as of yet; unless you had a huge family constantly downloading. Most websites will not offer any improvement above what the 50Mb product offers now because they just don't have the bandwidth to allow downloads at 100Mbps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BT are already offering 100Mbps, granted only in Ebbsfleet Valley but it is still available.
  • Options
    S-T-E-V-ES-T-E-V-E Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    BT are already offering 100Mbps, granted only in Ebbsfleet Valley but it is still available.

In that case VM are offering 200Mbps but only in Ashford and Coventry :)

I'm glad BT are sorting themselves out and getting some decent 20MB+ speeds in places people might not be able to get VM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case VM are offering 200Mbps but only in Ashford and Coventry :)

I'm glad BT are sorting themselves out and getting some decent 20MB+ speeds in places people might not be able to get VM

That is a trial though, BTs is actually rolled out. :p