Options

Miliband: I'll Lower Voting Age to 16 In 2016

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Labour leader tells 16 and 17-year-olds they would get the vote within a year of Labour coming to power in May's election.

The voting age would be lowered to 16 as soon as 2016 under Labour proposals, Ed Miliband has said.

The Opposition leader has pledged to give 1.5 million 16 and 17-year-olds the right to participate in UK elections if his party wins the General Election in May.

http://news.sky.com/story/1388254/miliband-ill-lower-voting-age-in-2016

Good.

The longer young people are denied involvement in the formal democratic process, the less chance there is of engaging them ever.

Comments

• Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Young people really don't want to be voting Labour though. Its thanks to Labour they screwed up higher education and the escalation of house prices. So they are heavily in debt and will struggle to ever get on the property ladder.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Milliband is banking on young people being naive enough to vote labour. >:(
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since this isn't happening until after the 2015 election, if the next government serves a full term he's actually giving the current 11 year olds the vote, current 16/17 year olds still wont get to vote until they are 21/22.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This keeps coming up, from Labour and the LibDims, because they know children will vote for them given the chance.

They should not get the vote even if they know who the Prime Minister is and promise to tidy their room.

Also voting SHOULDN'T be made easier for the over 18s - by texting and such - if you can't be arsed popping down to the polling station you shouldn't be able to vote.

And thirdly, voting should not be compulsory at any age. If you are not interested or know nothing about politics at all, it's best to leave it to the rest.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Ridiculous. A 16 year old has not formed, cognitively, to have the ability to vote. They're too immature. Ed would offer votes to 6 year olds if he thought it would help get him in power.

Seriously though, what does a 16 year old, know about the real world? Many of whom have never done a day's work. Labour know they'll vote for them, because most have never had to stand on their own or received a pay slip with "tax paid"

They're naive at that age and not fully developed. They just spout whatever left wing hogwash they've been brainwashed with at school. That much was clear on the UKIP Leaders Live debate and the lack of original thought or questioning the status quo from
    ANYONE there. They were pretty much clones of one another. Scary really.

Will watch the Labour one tonight.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the 12 year olds?

Hell lets give them the vote at birth !
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    salmond tried that ed

didnt work

Labour is so transparent and pathetic

the jocks stole any chance of a win for you

get over it
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    The Labour leader tells 16 and 17-year-olds they would get the vote within a year of Labour coming to power in May's election.

The voting age would be lowered to 16 as soon as 2016 under Labour proposals, Ed Miliband has said.

The Opposition leader has pledged to give 1.5 million 16 and 17-year-olds the right to participate in UK elections if his party wins the General Election in May.

Good.

The longer young people are denied involvement in the formal democratic process, the less chance there is of engaging them ever.

When the age of majority was twenty one, young people got a free university education because they were minors and could not sign legally binding contracts.

Then the age of majority was lowered to eighteen and that meant that an eighteen year old could sign legally binding contracts and be charged for and held responsible for their own university fees. In came university fees and loans and out went free university education.

If the age of majority becomes sixteen then what charges might be heaped on school children? Fees for the sixth form?
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Politician photo ops with rap stars and guest appearances on MTV from now on.

"Yo kids, it's me, David, I'm hip like you."
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Ridiculous. A 16 year old has not formed, cognitively, to have the ability to vote. They're too immature. Ed would offer votes to 6 year olds if he thought it would help get him in power.

Seriously though, what does a 16 year old, know about the real world? Many of whom have never done a day's work. Labour know they'll vote for them, because most have never had to stand on their own or received a pay slip with "tax paid"

They're naive at that age and not fully developed. They just spout whatever left wing hogwash they've been brainwashed with at school. That much was clear on the UKIP Leaders Live debate and the lack of original thought or questioning the status quo from
    ANYONE there. They were pretty much clones of one another. Scary really.

Will watch the Labour one tonight.

absolute nonsense! 16 year are plenty old enough to be able to vote. I know i and my friends were heavily into politics at that age. We were all conservative voters too. I would suggest that as per usual a lefty biased audience were chosen to go up against UKIP and in no way representative of the general population.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed is now repeating annoucements made in 2013... has he run out of ideas?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24229366
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    absolute nonsense! 16 year are plenty old enough to be able to vote. I know i and my friends were heavily into politics at that age. We were all conservative voters too. I would suggest that as per usual a lefty biased audience were chosen to go up against UKIP and in no way representative of the general population.

Agreed. I have met 16 year olds with better cognitive reasoning skills than most adults.

The fact is, young people are disengaged with the political process because they don't feel like middle aged candidates represent them fully. Lowering the voting age is one tool that can be used to get them more engaged.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »

Good.

....And yet, if the Tries had pledged this, you'd be ranting away against it.

As was the case in Scotland, this is just a very cynical piece of political opportunism, Miliband wouldn't be doing it if the numbers had shown him that more 16-18 year olds would be voting Tory rather than Labour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Milliband is banking on young people being naive enough to vote labour. >:(

I see no evidence that 16 year olds are any more likely to vote Labour than any other party so you are talking out of your arse.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes people do the right things for the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The age of majority is the threshold of adulthood as it is recognised or declared in law. It is the chronological moment when minors cease to legally be considered children and assume control over their persons, actions, and decisions"

I think this is a reasonable time to allow people to vote - when they become adults.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »

I disagree.

Some 16 year olds, for sure - but in my view the majority wouldn't have a clue about politics and worse still, are highly impressionable. Decision making across many areas - fashion, music etc. - when you're young is very much guided and influenced by peer group pressure and other social interaction. You wear the badge - literally. Politics wouldn't be any different. Only when you're older, with full responsibility for your life, does your outlook change as the peer groups fall away, the reality of life kicks in and it all starts to be become more private and personal.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    The outcome of voting effects everybody in Britain.
    If people of 16 years of age are deemed responsible enough to make these decisions then all age restricted activities should be lowered accordingly ( driving, tobacco and alcohol consumption, marriage etc etc.. ).
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Good.

No taxation without representation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    The outcome of voting effects everybody in Britain.
    If people of 16 years of age are deemed responsible enough to make these decisions then all age restricted activities should be lowered accordingly ( driving, tobacco and alcohol consumption, marriage etc etc.. ).

I actually agree with lowering the age of all of that.

16 year olds can already choose to leave school, join the military, pay tax, have sex (not in NI because we are backwards) so why shouldn't they be allowed to do those other things?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Good.

No taxation without representation.

:confused: So 8 year old kids buying sweets should also get the vote?
    a 1 year old can pay tax on income from investments....
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voting at 18 seems perfectly reasonable to me and I don't see any reason to change it. If young people aren't engaging in politics at 18 I cannot see how lowering the voting age by two years will address that. It's just offering a simplistic solution to a complex problem.

Besides, it raises the question of whether we want to treat 16 year-olds as adults. Should we allow 16 year-olds to buy alcohol/tobacco? If a 16yo is convicted of a crime should they be sent to an adult prison rather than a Young Offenders institution?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    Voting at 18 seems perfectly reasonable to me and I don't see any reason to change it. If young people aren't engaging in politics at 18 I cannot see how lowering the voting age by two years will address that. It's just offering a simplistic solution to a complex problem.

Besides, it raises the question of whether we want to treat 16 year-olds as adults. 1.Should we allow 16 year-olds to buy alcohol/tobacco? If 2.a 16yo is convicted of a crime should they be sent to an adult prison rather than a Young Offenders institution?

1. Why not? They manage to do it anyway.

2. If the crime is serious enough, why not? If they don't understand the risks of committing the crime at 16, will the really be able to at 18?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    When the age of majority was twenty one, young people got a free university education because they were minors and could not sign legally binding contracts.

Then the age of majority was lowered to eighteen and that meant that an eighteen year old could sign legally binding contracts and be charged for and held responsible for their own university fees. In came university fees and loans and out went free university education.

If the age of majority becomes sixteen then what charges might be heaped on school children? Fees for the sixth form?

Maybe that's what the Conservatives have got planned – and not just for the sixth form? They're bound to get round to it eventually.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    :confused: So 8 year old kids buying sweets should also get the vote?
    a 1 year old can pay tax on income from investments....

The parents are responsible in both instances.

You know perfectly well what my comment implies.