why aren't the public supporting Ellery?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fi~ wrote: »
    had never heard of him before DOI and im guessing a lot of people would be the same

I'm the same I'm afraid - I have no idea who he is...don't follow sport at all and had never heard of him before the show started...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fi~ wrote: »
    had never heard of him before DOI and im guessing a lot of people would be the same

He was voted the greatest rugby player of all-time so I'm guessing a lot of people will have heard of him.
  • lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so glad that they got through. I did not know Ellery before the show and as the weeks go by I am liking him more and more. He tries and seems a nice guy. He is with Frankie who is great - enthusiastic and knows how to motivate (I just wish they would give her better costumes!). Last week's green dress was lovely, but the rest....
  • PastaPasta Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ibeca wrote: »
    He was voted the greatest rugby player of all-time so I'm guessing a lot of people will have heard of him.

Only in Rugby League, which doesn't get anything like the attention of Rugby Union and is geographically restricted. More enjoyable, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I know absolutely nothing about rugby league or union, I had heard the name 'Ellery Hanley' before, for some reason I expected him to be Australian.

In fact, he's not at all what I expected. I suppose I have this image of rugby players being brash, self-confident and quite self-opinionated, a bit like Matt Dawson. Kyran Bracken is a more likeable version than Dawson, but he still doesn't lack confidence.

Ellery, though, seems a rather shy man, quietly spoken and not big-headed in any way, I'm actually amazed that he made it so far in a sport as tough as Rugby League seems to be. He must have been one hell of a player because I don't see how otherwise he could have commanded such respect, certainly not through force of personality.

He doesn't even come across as that competitive! You look at Greg Rusedski, and I think he would be mad keen even to win a game of tiddlywinks with a child, but Ellery just seems to have the attitude of 'I'll try my very best, and what will be will be.' An admirable Olympian attitude, but again, not what I'd expect of a rugby player.

I hope he stays in longer than Todd, he deserves it.

Also, I think people are getting Frankie wrong. I think she has huge respect for Ellery, and is very competitive on his behalf, but the editing is making her look like a harridan. :rolleyes:
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ibeca wrote: »

But possibly only people who follow rugby - I'm afraid I don't, so I'd never heard of him, and I don't know anyone who does. And would rugby fans be fans of something like doi?
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They gave Ellery a much better routine this week. Yay! :D

And he's again showing the potential he did in week 1. :)

I'm looking forward to what he and Frankie do next week.
  • CallmepitstopCallmepitstop Posts: 3,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know absolutely nothing about rugby league or union, I had heard the name 'Ellery Hanley' before, for some reason I expected him to be Australian.

In fact, he's not at all what I expected. I suppose I have this image of rugby players being brash, self-confident and quite self-opinionated, a bit like Matt Dawson. Kyran Bracken is a more likeable version than Dawson, but he still doesn't lack confidence.

Ellery, though, seems a rather shy man, quietly spoken and not big-headed in any way, I'm actually amazed that he made it so far in a sport as tough as Rugby League seems to be. He must have been one hell of a player because I don't see how otherwise he could have commanded such respect, certainly not through force of personality.

He doesn't even come across as that competitive! You look at Greg Rusedski, and I think he would be mad keen even to win a game of tiddlywinks with a child, but Ellery just seems to have the attitude of 'I'll try my very best, and what will be will be.' An admirable Olympian attitude, but again, not what I'd expect of a rugby player.

I hope he stays in longer than Todd, he deserves it.

Also, I think people are getting Frankie wrong. I think she has huge respect for Ellery, and is very competitive on his behalf, but the editing is making her look like a harridan. :rolleyes:

I'm agreeing with all of this. Ellery is a legend in rugby league and he's a lovely man, doing his best. However, I don't think he will be going much further. :( He just isn't getting the public support.:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple answer:

His skills on the ice are minimal ... his personality doesn't come across well off the ice.

What's to support?

(Unless you're a major Rugby league fan)
  • johnnyutahjohnnyutah Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Ellery showed great potential in week 1 and is a really likeable guy but hand on heart, he has gone backwards ever since. He cannot dance. Last night confirmed this.
  • soapgirlheresoapgirlhere Posts: 2,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really like ellery but the public might not be supporting him because he's quite forgettable, he's not really hideously bad but he's not that good either. same with melinda.
    i really like ellery and frankie though and i thought jason was really harsh saying he's the only one who hasn't improved.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Ellery seems like a lovely, lovely man, but he seemed to have a great performance the first week and then has either not improved or has got worse. The first week I thought he was going to be a real contender.

It's a shame!
  • TenesmusTenesmus Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Another possibility is the viewers don't tend to vote for black contestants, if SCD is anything to go by.

(That's the "race card" that was mentioned earlier by the way)

:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tenesmus wrote: »
    Another possibility is the viewers don't tend to vote for black contestants, if SCD is anything to go by.

God, I hope that's not true.
  • VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellery was a world class rugby talent so i think theres plenty that would have heard of him. Hes a big powerful guy so would come across a bit more awkward on the ice than say ray for example. Hes not up there with the best of the celebrities at the moment but i think there is a slight improvement and given the chance by the GBP and his determination i think hes quite a bit of improvement in him. I hope hes given the chance to up his game, plus id miss the lovely frankie;)
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's so much about how well known they are prior to this ... I thought he showed great promise in his first week but since then he doesn't seem to have progressed any ... Oh I agree with Pint there ;)

Ever since that first week he comes across as being really awkward and cumbersome on the ice. Like he hasn't got the confidence to let go :(
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything he has gotten worse and his partnership doesn't seem to have gelled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's so much about how well known they are prior to this ... I thought he showed great promise in his first week but since then he doesn't seem to have progressed any ... Oh I agree with Pint there ;)

Ever since that first week he comes across as being really awkward and cumbersome on the ice. Like he hasn't got the confidence to let go :(

Yeah, it's weird, eh? He seemed really great that 1st week and then...... it all came to nothing.

I feel for him though as he seems lovely.
  • PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His skating simply doesn't interest me and I have to agree with Jason, he doesn't seem to have progressed at all. I also can't stand Frankie - no idea why she just seems too opinionated for me (and I'm sure that's not what she's like at all it's just the way she comes across to me) - I guess it probably stems from last year and her skating with Chris where they seemed to expect to win (again just my opinion)
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tenesmus wrote: »

1. Jade is a black woman and our Eurovision entry
    2. Alexandra Burke won the x-Factor and is very black
    3. Leona Lewis is mixed race and won the X-Factor
    4. Mark Ramprakash won SCD and is of Indian descent
    5. Alesha Dixon won SCD and is of Jamaican descent
    6. Brian won Big Brother and (no offence intended) is so black that the night sky is lighter than him, so he was hardly mistaken for being a white guy
    7. Denise Lewis came second on SCD and is black
    8. Colin Jackson came second on SCD and is black
    9. Shilpa Shetty won CBB and is actually Indian

With all that in mind, I really don't think the public gives a flying **** what colour someone's skin is or what country their ancestors are from. If someone is good, they'll vote for them, if they're not, they won't.
  • Dutch MarleneDutch Marlene Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    1. Jade is a black woman and our Eurovision entry
    2. Alexandra Burke won the x-Factor and is very black
    3. Leona Lewis is mixed race and won the X-Factor
    4. Mark Ramprakash won SCD and is of Indian descent
    5. Alesha Dixon won SCD and is of Jamaican descent
    6. Brian won Big Brother and (no offence intended) is so black that the night sky is lighter than him, so he was hardly mistaken for being a white guy
    7. Denise Lewis came second on SCD and is black
    8. Colin Jackson came second on SCD and is black
    9. Shilpa Shetty won CBB and is actually Indian

With all that in mind, I really don't think the public gives a flying **** what colour someone's skin is or what country their ancestors are from. If someone is good, they'll vote for them, if they're not, they won't.

Ha I was just going to post something like your post.

Exactly!!! Bloody race card It annoys the hell out of me and it seems every reality show I follow it will be pulled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poor guy, lovely as he is, simply isn't any good at dancing on ice. I think it really is that simple!

He showed promise in week 1 but not since.

Must admit for me it doesnt' help that he is paired with Frankie who I went off after she skated with Chris last year and kept trying to tell people that his previous skating experience was actually more of a handicap than a help. Oh please! It quite put me off poor Chris.

And agree completely with Psychosis' post above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ellery seems like a nice enough chap and yes he did show enormous potential on week one, but he's not evolving as a skater.

If anything, he seems to be getting worse! And the childish/cheesy choreography that they insist on giving him week after week is not helping his cause.
  • TenesmusTenesmus Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I just remember on more than one occasion sitting there open-mouthed as a black contestant would end up in the bottom two who obviously didn't deserve to be there. Heather Small and Don Warrington? Actually best forget the recent one, The Sergeant Factor rather messed it up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I liked him the first time he skated but he's just not improving much. He's stiff as a bored on the ice and just unexciting, frankly. I won't be upset if he's out next.