How will we know when....

fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
Forum Member
✭✭✭
....the gulf stream shuts down?

The environmental catastrophists are telling us that when the Arctic ice melts, the cold water will push the gulf stream further south, leaving the UK with an Alaskan climate.

I've studied too many disaster movies to have any hope that "they" will warn us when this happens, so what will be the first signs?

Will it be weather a bit like we're having now.....?:eek:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    It will be weather like we have now............. in August!

Seriously, it's winter - it snows in winter sometimes, sometimes it snows a lot! (see 1967, 81, 87, 91 etc.... etc...). It's not the next ice-age just yet.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Alaskan climate is pretty pleasant in August. The gulf stream actually cools us in the summer, so if it moved further south, coastal areas on the UK would probably be warmer.

According to today's press, this winter is shaping up to be the coldest in decades. The present cold weather is forecast to continue until the middle of January - after which it is set to get colder.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would the gulf stream ever shut down though?
  • barcel0na1968barcel0na1968 Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would get MUCH colder. We are on the same latitude as Moscow.. The only thing stopping us getting the same weather as them is the.... Yes you've guessed it, the Gulf Stream.
  • MacattacKMacattacK Posts: 7,652
    Forum Member
    would the gulf stream ever shut down though?
    Read about this in New Scientist. I think there is some people arguing that stats say it is and on course to, while some other poeple argue that the same stats say it won't.

There's a wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MacattacK wrote: »
    Read about this in New Scientist. I think there is some people arguing that stats say it is and on course to, while some other poeple argue that the same stats say it won't.

There's a wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation

its hurting my brain at this time of night... :D

there is a theory that it could then? okies