Fluoxetine Question

rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
Forum Member
I went to the doctors today and got given a prescription for fluoxetine (an anti-depressant for anyone who doesn't know) which I'll start taking tomorrow, this is the first time I've been on any medication and I have a question, just popped into my head and I'm annoyed I didn't think of it when I was at the doctors.

As a rule I don't drink alcohol. The last time I had any alcohol was last December but I've got something coming up in the next couple of weeks where I could be drinking. Obviously as I'm not a big drinker it's no big deal if I stick to my diet coke but it would be nice to have a drink. I'm getting conflicting information online about if you can drink when taking fluoxetine. Does anyone know the answer?

Comments

• RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leave a message for the GP and ask if they can clarify for you?
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The occasional drink shouldn't be a problem, but best if you ask your doc.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    RussellIan wrote: »
    Leave a message for the GP and ask if they can clarify for you?

Good plan, didn't think of that. Sorry I've not been to the doctors for years so I'm at a bit of a loose end
    davidmcn wrote: »
    The occasional drink shouldn't be a problem, but best if you ask your doc.

Thanks, I wouldn't be getting plastered or anything but I thought I should ask the question
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    should you be drinking if you have depression?

Fluoxetine takes 2 weeks to reach a steady concentration in your body, I would definately not drink in this 2 week period (can be a little 'tough')
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    should you be drinking if you have depression?

Fluoxetine takes 2 weeks to reach a steady concentration in your body, I would definately not drink in this 2 week period (can be a little 'tough')

I never drink when I'm down, I've never understood people who do that (I'm feeling down and miserable, I know I'll take an excessive amount of depressants!). It's someone's birthday and I'll have to get the train home so it would literally be one or two drinks.

As I said I'm not a big drinker so I probably won't anyway, I just wanted to check have a couple of birthday drinks wasn't going to be the biggest disaster if I did.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    don't belive it will matter
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Phone the pharmacy and speak with the pharmacist.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not read the leaflet that comes with EVERY medication prescribed?
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Drinking on ADs isn't usually a problem, just stick to the usual doctor-advised limits and you'll be fine.

Also, if fluoxetine isn't working for you after a couple of months and you're having bad side effects, ask your doc to switch you to citalopram instead.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Why not read the leaflet that comes with EVERY medication prescribed?

Because every leaflet will just warn you not to drink whilst taking them, as a way of stopping the manufacturer being sued.

The NHS website tells you whether you can drink or not on most drugs, a search for "fluoxetine and drinking" or inserting your own drug of choice gives a good answer. The NHS website also says you can drink whilst taking Paracetamol, but not if you're taking anything with codeine in - morphine and alcohol is a rather dangerous mix.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    For me, one or two drinks is ok. I don't drink normally so the only time i'd have a drink is special occasions. I had too much drink about a year ago and the next day was horrendous. I felt shaky, anxious, cried a lot during the day, just felt like it was the worst day of my life.

I know it was because I was on the fluoxetine as i've gotten that drunk in the past when I wasn't on medication and felt fairly ok the next day.

I've made a decision since that day that I won't have more than one or two drinks maximum if I have any at all. Thats what I can personally cope with. I have been on fluoxetine for a year and a half though.
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    I never drink when I'm down, I've never understood people who do that (I'm feeling down and miserable, I know I'll take an excessive amount of depressants!). It's someone's birthday and I'll have to get the train home so it would literally be one or two drinks.

As I said I'm not a big drinker so I probably won't anyway, I just wanted to check have a couple of birthday drinks wasn't going to be the biggest disaster if I did.

But if you are not "down" why is your Dr giving you ADs?

I always had a drink while taking all types of ADs but to be honest it makes you feel worse.

If you can go without then its better for you.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    you might find your hangovers heavier.
  • hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering that Fluoxetine doesn't work for shit it wont be a problem at all. When I was first diagnosed with bi-polar my GP at the time prescribed Fluoxetine and it did nothing, all they did was keep upping the dosage and it still had no effect. My GP then retired so another doctor at the same surgery took over and they told me immediately that Fluoxetine is a load of rubbish and that they don't prescribe it for depression anymore.

So drink as much as you like as it wont make the slightest bit of difference. And after a few months get your prescription changed to Mirtazapine.
  • lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering that Fluoxetine doesn't work for shit it wont be a problem at all. When I was first diagnosed with bi-polar my GP at the time prescribed Fluoxetine and it did nothing, all they did was keep upping the dosage and it still had no effect. My GP then retired so another doctor at the same surgery took over and they told me immediately that Fluoxetine is a load of rubbish and that they don't prescribe it for depression anymore.

So drink as much as you like as it wont make the slightest bit of difference. And after a few months get your prescription changed to Mirtazapine.

Remind me to consult you next time I need an expert opinion on my ADs. :rolleyes: <--- and yes I hate that smiley usually but it's sooooo appropriate here.

Everybody is different. Personally speaking, Fluoxetine has changed my life for the better for the last 6 years, and I certainly notice if I forget to take my morning tablet. I'm on the minimum dose of 20mg and a few months ago that was increased to 40mg because I was going through a particularly difficult phase, however it completely knocked me out, so it was put back to 20mg. My friend, however, takes 40mg daily and it has no detrimental effect on her, but it has certainly levelled out our moods for both of us - so to say it's rubbish is, well, rubbish.

OP, I hardly ever drink but when I do have a rare glass of wine it doesn't have any effect, but like others say, check with your own GP for their opinion.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

before i was dx`d bipolar i was scripted it without a stabilizer, i only took it for three weeks and it triggered a seven month high.

not everyone has the same experience with any particular antidepressant and it can take a while to find the one that`s right for you.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering that Fluoxetine doesn't work for shit it wont be a problem at all.

What an utterly stupid thing to say. I actually agree with the opinion that Fluoxetine doesn't work, well for ME anyway. I went on Fluoxetine with mild depression and came off it with horrific side effects including severe depression and suicidal thoughts.

However, it has changed thousands of peoples lives and I know people who cannot speak higher of it. I'm now on citalopram which has done wonders, but plenty of people say it is awful and has more negatives than positives.

They also do still prescribe it. It is supposed to be one of the safest.

OP, you must ask your doctor about the drinking but I found that the general consensus is that a couple of drinks is fine, but it is not recommended purely because, as you know, alcohol is a depressant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you might find your hangovers heavier.

i took fluxotene on and off for 4 years and i drunk alcohol and ive never had a hangover in my life! although it does effect everyone differently, if its a one off my GP just said drink in moeration.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drinking on ADs isn't usually a problem, just stick to the usual doctor-advised limits and you'll be fine.

Also, if fluoxetine isn't working for you after a couple of months and you're having bad side effects, ask your doc to switch you to citalopram instead.

In my opinion this is very good advice. Fluoxetine didn't work for me but when I switched to citalopram I got much better.

Also, I found that when taking AD's I couldn't face alcohol so you might find that you don't even want a drink. However, if you did, one or two would be fine.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    What an utterly stupid thing to say. I actually agree with the opinion that Fluoxetine doesn't work, well for ME anyway. I went on Fluoxetine with mild depression and came off it with horrific side effects including severe depression and suicidal thoughts.

However, it has changed thousands of peoples lives and I know people who cannot speak higher of it.

This. Fluoxetine has quite literally saved my life.:sleep:
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Well, it wouldn't, because fluoxetine is used to treat depression, not bipolar.

Fluoxetine works for thousands and is still prescribed so your doctor is talking nonsense.

I moved off citalopram and onto fluoxetine for my depression when I was diagnosed with bipolar so I could also be prescribed lithium.

OP, a couple of drinks while taking fluoxetine will be fine. If in doubt, check with your pharmacist as they will have more up to date advice.
  • King_MrhKing_Mrh Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a few drinks will be fine. Regular drinking will reduce the effectiveness of the drug and may have other side effects. If you need more detail, consult a doctor.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    I went to the doctors today and got given a prescription for fluoxetine (an anti-depressant for anyone who doesn't know) which I'll start taking tomorrow, this is the first time I've been on any medication and I have a question, just popped into my head and I'm annoyed I didn't think of it when I was at the doctors.

As a rule I don't drink alcohol. The last time I had any alcohol was last December but I've got something coming up in the next couple of weeks where I could be drinking. Obviously as I'm not a big drinker it's no big deal if I stick to my diet coke but it would be nice to have a drink. I'm getting conflicting information online about if you can drink when taking fluoxetine. Does anyone know the answer?

Here's the formal US Government advice in the form of MedlinePlus's online guidance note:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a689006.html

That guidance would seem to imply that only very moderate amounts of alcohol should be drunk if at all and I would suggest checking with the advice on the label and in the instructions that come with your medicine.
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    I see the OP never came back to reply to my question ( post 13) not that they have to of course but seems funny to have been online and not come back to their own thread.