Recomended end of the world disaster movies

rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
Forum Member
I was watching 2012 earlier which got me thinking about Armageddon and Deep Impact. There's something about end of the world disaster movies that fascinates me (that's probably slightly morbid but hey ho) so I was wondering what ones you would recommend?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Worlds Collide
    Knowing
    The day after tomorrow
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I've seen the day after tomorrow, was very disappointed. Thank you for the other 2 recommendations, I'll keep an eye out for them
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed Impact,the sight of the huge moon in the sky was quite freaky lol i recently watched the full series of the last train with my friend who hadnt seen it,he thought it was exellent as did i,i remember rushing in early to watch it when it first broadcast.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like The Core. It's basically Armageddon, but where the team of heroes journey to the Earth's core instead of an asteroid.

It's trash, with BS science, but all these movies are like that. The main thing is that it's enjoyable BS trash.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen the day after tomorrow, was very disappointed. Thank you for the other 2 recommendations, I'll keep an eye out for them

The original.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original.

Are u refering to The Day After(1983)?if so i dont think the day after tomorrow is the sequel.
    Forum Member
    The original.

Ah ok, ignore my previous comment then :)
  • BradmanBradman Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Knowing is on Film4 @ 9oclock tonight.
    Forum Member
    annoyingly I was out all of yesterday and didn't know. People were talking about Knowing at work this morning. Sod's law
  • BradmanBradman Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    annoyingly I was out all of yesterday and didn't know. People were talking about Knowing at work this morning. Sod's law

Its on Film4 again on Friday @9 (again).
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knowing was on TV last night. I thought it was really good. No doubt it'll be on again soon.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forget my comment, i was thinking of The Day the Earth Stood Still lol.
  • DarkmarsupialDarkmarsupial Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    1959 movie On The Beach is a bit more subtle but brings home the idea of how the end of the world would more likely pan out and how humans would cope with it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053137/

But I'd have to say definitely read Nevil Shute's book first. It creeps up on you and the ending just leaves you feeling empty.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try The Day the Earth Caught Fire-1962 gem of a brit-movie where the hot apocalypse unfolds in a Fleet Street setting-good movie,intelligent and dramatic
  • heart break kidheart break kid Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    1959 movie On The Beach is a bit more subtle but brings home the idea of how the end of the world would more likely pan out and how humans would cope with it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053137/

But I'd have to say definitely read Nevil Shute's book first. It creeps up on you and the ending just leaves you feeling empty.

Great film and book - just reading it at the minute actually and loved the film.

What about 'Threads'? Similar to The Day After but much more visceral.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I would recommend staying a million miles away from The Day the Earth Stood Still. Such boring drivvel.

I quite liked Volcano, not end of the world, but end of 1 city !
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »

I quite liked Volcano, not end of the world, but end of 1 city !

I really like Volcano, a bit silly, a bit cheesy, but good none the less.

Thanks for all the recomendations, I can see me having a disaster filled movie christmas break this year ;)