Switching from sky to virgin

I get 14mbs from sky now. Going to get 30mbs from Virgin up to 60mbs soon. Heard bad things about their wireless. With cashback from quidco and their 3 month free deal I am cash winning but should I get another router?

Comments

• joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,026
    Forum Member
    markybaby wrote: »
    I get 14mbs from sky now. Going to get 30mbs from Virgin up to 60mbs soon. Heard bad things about their wireless. With cashback from quidco and their 3 month free deal I am cash winning but should I get another router?

I do not think there is anything wrong with the Superhub that people are reporting, I have now got one to Test, I will Test it tomorrow now

Most people have bought their own Routers for various reasons, you do not have to if you do not want to

The Best Routers are as follows

This Fitz Router will let you make voice calls over the Internet instead of using a Landline so this is a Free way of getting another line in your home

http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN_7270/index.php

This Router can connect Wirelessly to your devices up to 450MB http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR2543ND

The Router can connect your Devices Wirelessly up to 800MB http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Specifications.asp?ProductID=10198
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    markybaby wrote: »

14M over telephone is a cracking good speed.

My 11M and 13M services (at two locations) actually prove far more usable, particularly game wise, than neighbors 20M VM services in the evenings and at weekends
    Usually the VM services are far better for overnight bulk downloading though..

Depends what you going to be using it for. If its gaming you may well be disappointed. Depends on whether your area is one of the many VM congested areas
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. Will see how I get on with the superhub before spending any money. It is not used for gaming, the only heavy stuff is streaming netflix and iplayer and other on demand services. Hoping to be able to get 2 streams going without any stutter.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    I got 5MB from sky and switched a couple of months ago to virgin's 50MB (very soon 100MB then 120MB).

Re the superhub I would certainly see how you go with it and if all your devices play nice with it. We ended up buying our own router and putting it into modem mode as the superhub kept dropping connection and then our wifi printer would struggle to get back on the network and we would have to reset the superhub and the printer to get them both playing nice with each other again.

Not had any problems since we changed the router to a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not had any problems with my super hub although one did die but they quickly sent out a replacement and prepaid box to send the old one back.