Options

iPod Touch email syncing

Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
Forum Member
I love my Touch but the only trouble I'm having is when I receive emails on the Touch they don't also go automatically to my laptop and I have to forward them on.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Options
    dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the email service. I can't remember exactly, but there should be an option on the POP3 email setting along the lines of "leave email on server" or "do not delete email off server" so that the email is still there for when the laptop checks. Unless you have an email account with a big storage capacity, you'll need to set one of the devices to delete emails when retrieved or you'll fill your mailbox and have to log onto the webmail to clear them out.

If your email service has the option to run as IMAP you shouldn't have to worry about it, as the mail resides on the server and is only deleted when you tell it, but that would require set-up instructions from the email provider.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As dadioflex says there is a setting. If you are using a POP server for your incoming mail, on your iPod Touch try...

Settings > Mail,contacts,calendars > (email account) > Advanced > Remove=never and Delete from server=never

Basically let your main computer do the removing not your iPod.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. :) I'll have a play with the settings.

It really annoys me, as soon as I pull into the drive my Touch finds my wireless and all my emails end up there and I have to forward everything to my laptop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you would be better off using an IMAP server on both, really. See if your provider allows IMAP, and the same mails will be on each device.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Pearl McG wrote: »
    Thanks. :) I'll have a play with the settings.

It really annoys me, as soon as I pull into the drive my Touch finds my wireless and all my emails end up there and I have to forward everything to my laptop.

Hi,

Did you sort this out as I'm having the same problem and can't find any solution yet.

Cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    highroyds wrote: »
    Hi,

Did you sort this out as I'm having the same problem and can't find any solution yet.

Cheers

There isn't a 100% solution for POP accounts as it just wasn't designed for use with multiple devices, as stated an IMAP email account would be what is needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    highroyds wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers

No, not really. I've changed the settings so they only come to the Touch when I request them, but it doesnt stop them not coming to the laptop.