Cat has been bitten

fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
Forum Member
My Smudge disappeared for a long time yesterday, when he came in last night he had a bare patch on his head above his eye (it almost looks like he's been shaved) and two puncture marks. I think he may have had a fight with his own father - no-one knows who owns him but I often see him around the area and he is still un-neutered and aggressive.

Now Smudge seems fine at the moment but I am aware that cat bites frequently develop into abscesses- as the area is bare of fur I can keep a close eye on it but I was wondering whether to take him to the vet tomorrow anyway and get some antibiotics in him before any abscess develops?

Comments

• kelvokelvo Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh...

Our Oscar has just been bitten on his tail :( and had an absess, we just bathed it with salt water and just kept any eye on it. If it drys up and heals ok then he'll be ok. Cats often get them if they're bitten, often you can't see them under their fur until they break *ugh*

Our other cat Casper got bitten around his face - just above his eyes so we did take him to the vets just in case - poor thing looked like he'd gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Yes I've done some salt water bathing. The wounds were quite sealed over by the time he eventually came in so anything nasty injected by the other cat's teeth will be mutliplying inside now :(
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is he within himself? Is he acting normally or looking sorry for himself? If he is looking sorry for himself, then vets would be best. Mine got beaten up a few weeks ago and had a bleeding wound on top of her head. I took her to the emergency vets where they gave her antibiotics and pain killers. She was looking very unhappy, so I knew that she was in pain. I asked the vet what I could do in the future if she got attacked and was told to clean the wound with cooled boiled water. She has been in scrapes before and the one previous to this has left her with a torn ear. With that one, I kept an eye on her and it healed well on its own.
    Forum Member
    How is he within himself? Is he acting normally or looking sorry for himself? If he is looking sorry for himself, then vets would be best. Mine got beaten up a few weeks ago and had a bleeding wound on top of her head. I took her to the emergency vets where they gave her antibiotics and pain killers. She was looking very unhappy, so I knew that she was in pain. I asked the vet what I could do in the future if she got attacked and was told to clean the wound with cooled boiled water. She has been in scrapes before and the one previous to this has left her with a torn ear. With that one, I kept an eye on her and it healed well on its own.

He is absolutely fine- eating and drinking as normal, playing with his sister, going out (although he's not keen on the rain at the moment!) and when I touch the wounds it doesn't seem to bother him so i don't think he is in pain.I'll give the vet a ring tomorrow and see what they suggest although if he goes downhill then obviously I will take him in.
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar's ok now, the absess did break but it all looks like it is healing up ok, although he now has a bald patch half way down his tail. If it doesn't dry up then I would take him to the vets.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Good idea to call the vet and ask advice.

My female cat had an absess on her head earlier this year and when it swelled up it was very obvious! So it should be easy to tell if anything is developing. Much harder when the wound is somewhere inaccessible like their armpit and you don't even notice! --- and having said that, there could be other wounds you can't see.

(She did need antibiotics and the absess syringing - I really didn't want that bursting and trickling into her eyes:eek: :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh sounds familiar! My Fatty Matty was feeling sorry for himself not so long ago, was refusing food and everything ( with his name, i knew there was something up ) - i couldnt find anything wrong with him at all after feeling around - my vet nurse friend said she'd come have a look and in a matter of hours (at most) a massive abcess appeared on the side of his head/cheek - the poor baby!!!! It was drained the next day and apart from the weeping for a day or so he was back to himself fully! Worries you alot but you are keeping an eye on it so im sure he'll be fine!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I had an old tom-cat in the 1970s, 80s and 90s. He would often have wounds and salt water was the thing..but I could always tell if he was probably going to develop an infection as his ears would get hot.

Ears - the thermometer for cats. If their ears get very hot and their nose is hot and dry, you can bet they'll come down with a cold or worse.

When I look back I feel guilty about my tom-cat and his torn ears (he was like an old sea dog with tatoos) but I was only very young at the time .... and he and we had some lovely experiences....and he lived til he was 17 and had a fulfilling life. I'm not advocating keeping them un-neutered as they fight til they die (toms will never run from a fight so take all their wounds on their head) and mine are neutered now, but it was wonderful to see him as a father, parading around his queen and her litter.

Anyway, salt water the first sign of any wound but if you're concerned and no wound, then very hot ears and a hot dry nose (and droopy tail) will show that the cat is under the weather.

Check the hind legs too. Many cats on the run (ie running away from attack) endure bites on their hind legs. They are difficult to detect but if your cat lets you, gently stroke their back legs up to their bottom. If there are any bumps they could be wounds or scars, if any chunks of fur fall out then there is most likely a fresh wound.
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat had a nasty bite on the top of her head that became an abscess, had to take her to the vet to get it lanced and drained, it was her behaviour that I noticed, she'd suddenly become very lethargic (would barely move) and gone completely off her food, it was an emergency trip to the vet, thankfully she recovered quickly but I had to wash the hole left after the lancing with cooled boiled salty water for a week for it to heal up completely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Mine has been bitten on her tail several times- the vet calls it a cowards injury :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I remember my old cat had this a couple of times, one time we hadnt realised until the fur fell out and found an abcess, trip to vet and some anti biotics sorted him. He was a fighter even though he was "done" was always getting in scraps and had tip of one ear chewed off, lived a good long life though and died peacefully in his sleep not long after his 19th birthday.
  • edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of cats

Mine i have noticed on his tail mainly a few what i thought was thorns but looking closy could be scabs could this be caused by fighting or excessive biting himself?

Also since we had him just over 2yrs he would sleep in my bedroom either at the bottom of the bed or under it now he refuses to come in room and sleeps downstairs.

Should i be concerned?

Finally do flea collars work or should i use flea powder type stuff?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    edduk1981 wrote: »
    Talking of cats

Mine i have noticed on his tail mainly a few what i thought was thorns but looking closy could be scabs could this be caused by fighting or excessive biting himself?

Also since we had him just over 2yrs he would sleep in my bedroom either at the bottom of the bed or under it now he refuses to come in room and sleeps downstairs.

Should i be concerned?

Finally do flea collars work or should i use flea powder type stuff?

If the scabs are at the tip of the tail, it could be that he is biting it ..but doubtful. If they are at the base of the tail near his bottom then most likely he will have got them in a fight. Could also be mange or flea infestation which would lead to overzealous cleaning/nibbling..but I think doubtful.

Wouldn't be concerned about the bed thing, they change their minds like the weather.

Flea collars IMO don't work and can lead to irritation and loss of hair on the neckline. Flea powder is a bit of a no-no as well, as the cat hates it and most are harmful if inhaled. Best thing is to get a monthly spot-on treatment. Mine have Stronghold but others are Advocat and Frontline. Make sure whichever you use it is a prescription only flea treatment - those you buy across the counter but with the same name (eg Frontline) are not as effective. There are some brands too which I would completely steer clear of due to very allergic reactions in cats (my vet said they were toxic) but these are the treatments bought over the counter and in supermarkets.
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frontline is no longer POM, but it is only available from dispensing chemists be they at the vet, on the Internet or the highstreet.

AFAIK there is absolutely no difference in Frontline from the chemist at the supermarket and Frontline from the vet.

However I agree absolutely - flea collars, powders and stuff that's in (say) a pet shop are useless at best.
    Forum Member
    Well the vet said just to keep an eye on Smudge which I'm doing- no abscess yet and no change in behaviour (or hot ears!). His sister however has developed a limp on her front left leg which comes and goes and I can't see any problem with her pads or any swelling anywhere on the leg so I may just cart both of them off to the vet!
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    cats_five wrote: »
    Frontline is no longer POM, but it is only available from dispensing chemists be they at the vet, on the Internet or the highstreet.

AFAIK there is absolutely no difference in Frontline from the chemist at the supermarket and Frontline from the vet.

Not so. What the vet sells you is Frontline Combo. This is a prescription only product. What you buy in the chemist, high street, or online without prescription is Frontline. Different thing.