Options

Page Eight

124»

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    As for the ending, yes it does appear that he caved. Whether to save his daughter (though no threats were made against her/baby, which was odd) or because he didn't fancy becoming another "Dr. Kelly" - which would also have been a fairly obvious threat for the PM to have made.
    I think to have followed that line in the story would have been a step too far and very painful for the Kelly family to have seen their personal tragedy exploited like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    ichou wrote: »
    She lived in a nice flat (we don't know how she came by it) but no other particular signs of wealth. He googled her and she turned up as a publishing editor, I think, so that was her job. You may have missed that bit, just as I must have missed the bit about him changing in the field.....there were lots of bits like that.

I haven't been on here for a few days, so just catching up. Yes I do recall the lady being a publisher of some sort , but how would she afford such a place even on a good salary.

He , for some unexplained reason got out of his car and changed into his dinner jacket in a field. He was carrying the Waitrose bag at the time and I assumed he was going to bury it there. But why did he throw the secret file into a rubbish bin at Stansed or wherever . Just burn it for god's sake.

A very strange programme , but entertaining all the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    There seemed to be more to it than that, but I can't put my finger on it. The file was damning, career destroying, yet he just binned it and disappeared. Was it saying that such political machinations are ultimately pointless and what's important is life and love?

His career in MI5 was over, and the PM stayed in charge, was this saying that "you can't win, you can only protect yourself as best you can"?

My take on the file thing was that he deliberately dumped it so that it would be found. He got what he wanted, the Israel file released, and the PM thought that he was in the clear. I think that the file was meant to be found and sold to the press, enough information to bring down a corrupt PM who colluded with the Americans in the illegal transfer and detention of people in secret prisons across the world.

come to think of it, that's IS a bit far fetched isn't it...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this, had not realised it was a repeat, that explains why it was on at such a late hour with no special write up in the radio times.
    I found it all very unconvincing stuff, stereotype spy drama, over complicated, lots of smoking, some jazz music, rainy London streets, ministers/prime minister as the baddies. Lots of plaudits for the acting (Bill Nighty playing Bill Nighty), just because a lot of big names are present does not make it a good program.
    Give me the Scandinavian dramas anytime.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, as I do with everything Bill Nighy is in.

I understand it's a trilogy, the second part is on this coming Thursday, 9pm-10.30pm on BBC2, called Turks and Caicos.

Along with Bill and Ralph Fiennes, it also stars Christopher Walken, Winona Ryder and Helena Bonam-Carter.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it, enjoyed it...already forgotten it.

How very apt. I saw it on the planner, thought "that looks good" and set it to record. When it cropped up here on DS, it seems I've already watched it in 2011 and have no memory of it, at all.
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it, as I do with everything Bill Nighy is in.

I understand it's a trilogy, the second part is on this coming Thursday, 9pm-10.30pm on BBC2, called Turks and Caicos.

Along with Bill and Ralph Fiennes, it also stars Christopher Walken, Winona Ryder and Helena Bonam-Carter.

That's my understanding too, as Hare was interviewed on Newsnight last week and they showed a clip from that (Ryder looked and sounded pretty good).

I like Hare's work, but found this just a bit arch and curiously out-of-date ; like something that might have been topical a few years ago. Great cast, but somewhat wasted on a so-so project. Still, two more parts to go, so...
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Been hunting for this thread since the film aired, to post a link to Turks and Caicos, hell of a job finding it.

I'll be watching it anyway, as I enjoyed Page Eight.
  • Options
    squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oops sorry wrong thread