Options

Engelbert Humperdink 'Love Will Set You Free' (UK Eurovision Entry)

Comments

• Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love it.

The juries will love it and with a good draw could do very well with the televote.

The reaction to the song has been brilliant so far:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great song, like it a lot

Now, can someone tell the Hump that it's "will set you free", not "can", as he appears to be singing ;);)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Wow not what I was expecting at all. Pretty impressed. If there is any justice we should get a top 3 placing because of the jury vote. It might even do well in the telephone vote too.
  • Options
    QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    It's a great song, like it a lot

Now, can someone tell the Hump that it's "will set you free", not "can", as he appears to be singing ;);)

It's "will" the last time during the epic finish.

Epic sums it up. I really really like it. And a key change as well :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ;)

You can never go wrong with a key change, let's face it

Gets a thumbs up from me, anyway, decent song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    That's a top song, I'm thrilled we have chosen something so good. We just need to crack the voting system....
  • Options
    MirageMirage Posts: 39,247
    Forum Member
    I'm not really sure what I was expecting our song to be like this year, I was still in shock that Engelbert was representing us. I haven't heard of him since I was a kid. :o

The song is quite nice and he sings it well. I haven't heard any of the other songs, so I have no idea how well he will do with it though.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn.

The song is kinda simple but the performance is dull, flat and just underwhelming. It's just an old crooner singing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted the lyrics to be "Oooh there's an Englebert standing in the room. Oooh there's there's an Englebert in the room".
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluemotel wrote: »
    That's a top song, I'm thrilled we have chosen something so good. We just need to crack the voting system....

Well we came 5th in 2009, deserved last in 2010 and were top 5 in the televote in 2011.(juries let us down)

We do seem to have cracked it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I wanted the lyrics to be "Oooh there's an Englebert standing in the room. Oooh there's there's an Englebert in the room".

That or "Mama Do The Humperdink"...
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »

:D:D:D You've been listening to Elephant too much recently, haven't you? ;)
  • Options
    River ManRiver Man Posts: 2,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish we'd gone for Pixie Lott now.
  • Options
    Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »

Even better! :D
  • Options
    astra19Eastra19E Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would have been better if they left out the key change and made it more of a melancholy song. That would have separated it from the pack a bit.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01SQXjlhTuE

youtube link for people on phones.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    lumiere wrote: »

Keeled over from laughing! :D
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    it's very Scott Walker.. could do well but i think it will be overshadowed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Its a notable improvement on 'i can' however i cant see him beating euphoria
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the fu-? I kinda like it:eek: I dunno if it's just my ears, but does anyone else think it actually sounds like a song another European country would send in? I think it's the guitar that makes it sound very European. Also I quite like the key change:o really makes the song take off a bit more.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I like it and I think it will do well. At least the UK has an entry it can be proud of, Ireland has Jedward :eek:
  • Options
    shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    What the fu-? I kinda like it:eek: I dunno if it's just my ears, but does anyone else think it actually sounds like a song another European country would send in? I think it's the guitar that makes it sound very European. Also I quite like the key change:o really makes the song take off a bit more.

Yep definately maybe that's why they chose it.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep definately maybe that's why they chose it.

I think it'll hopefully give us a tiny bit of hope. Also, the fact it's a 'normal' song. Sometimes on the offchance, a normal song does do quite well if not overpowered by the competition
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much better than I expected. Not sure a person who looks old can really win the contest or do that great even. But it's better just to enter a decent song and not play down to the superficial aspects of eurovision as that doesn't guarantee you a good placing anyway.