Options

When did the Long Jump become such a weak event?

BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
Forum Member
✭✭✭
No disrespect to Greg Rutherford. i was absolutely thrilled when he won.

But he won with a Jump that was the lowest winning jump in 40 years. Why has this event gone backwards? The days of Mike Powell and Carl Lewis or Ivan Pedroso producing huge jumps seem long gone.

Comments

• Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    The best sprinters no longer do long jump as well as track sprints. Part of the raw potential is lost to other sports. A couple of the top long jumpers are injured. It might also be one of the disciplines where better drug testing has more of an impact. But Greg was a deserved gold medallist on the day with 3 of the 4 best jumps.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greg's distance was deserving of the win. Didn't 8:12 take silver though?

That sounds unheard of. Lewis took a silver once to Powell with near 8:90 didn't he?
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even Greg said he was disappointed with not getting a big jump, as he knows he's capable of more, but by the time his last jump came around, he had it in the bag, so there wasn't the same motivation to push for something massive.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was about to ask the same question myself. If I was 10- dead sprinter, with the likes of Bolt, Blake and Gray around, I'd seriously consider switching to the long jump. I also think potentially great long jumpers are now competing in the triple jump.
  • Options
    BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was about to ask the same question myself. If I was 10- dead sprinter, with the likes of Bolt, Blake and Gray around, I'd seriously consider switching to the long jump. I also think potentially great long jumpers are now competing in the triple jump.

Good point. If you are a world class 100 meter sprinter, but competing against an era when only 3 guys can potentially win (Bolt, Blake and Gay), why not switch to Long Jump, where you can become a winner and champion, instead of an also-ran?

I do wonder if some sprinters are looking at the relative weakness of the event, and considering a switch. It might push the event forward, and i can see it happening.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well bolt has said he might try the long jump to see how he does but no idea when that will be.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, you have to account for wind-factor (not favourable last night) and altitudes. The longest jumps have been at high altitude.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, you have to account for wind-factor (not favourable last night) and altitudes. The longest jumps have been at high altitude.

The current record (8.95) has stood since 1991 and was set in Tokyo...which is not at altitude...I think Tokyo is only about 100 feet above sea level.

I think it's partly due to the calibre/potential of athletes who get into long jump but also that on any given day a "freak" one off jump result is possible from anyone.

Have long felt that ALL field events should be awarded on an aggregate of say 3 from 6 attempts...at the moment it's possible to have five fouls and one "freak" throw/jump and win....while the average of performances even in non medal winning positions is higher.