Options

Advice for Sick Mum: Energy Food?

KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
Forum Member
I need some help. My mum is currently very poorly indeed and she's dying from undernourishment. She's on total intravenous food but she's still not putting on weight.

She can eat a little, and I was wondering if energy bars that are packed with energy would really help (it certainly can't help), but which ones would be the best to eat.

Basically I'm asking: what are the best calorie packed foods that a person can eat if they can't eat a great deal.

At the moment she's eating the odd bit of fruit, which just isn't providing the nourishment she needs.

Before you ask: the doctors have been less than useful and the diet they've put her on she simply can't eat in the kinds of amount she needs to survive...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bags of food which your mum is being fed by drip should be providing all the nutrients she needs. I'd like to suggest other foods, but the worry is that something recommended might conflict with the IV food eg result in her having too much sugar, which could affect her blood levels.

Also, if your Mum is supposed to be eating other foods herself but can't manage it, then you need to tell her doctor so they can increase the calories of her IV food.

Hopefully someone here more qualified can help, but do keep on at the doctors to give you more advice, sometimes you really need to hassle them before they help you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MICH78 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone here more qualified can help, but do keep on at the doctors to give you more advice, sometimes you really need to hassle them before they help you.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. This has been going on for literally years now, and so we're going to try and give her some food as well as the hospital is insistent that she can eat (which she can, but three meals a day is, to her, just repellent).

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. This has been going on for literally years now, and so we're going to try and give her some food as well as the hospital is insistent that she can eat (which she can, but three meals a day is, to her, just repellent).

:)

You're welcome. Sounds like a complicated issue, but as hospital insists she can eat, there must be some foods you can try. Probably unlikely, but is there any food which she particularly likes? If so, perhaps you could bring some of that, even if it's unhealthy or fattening to a degree (providing doctor agrees). How about smoothies or milkshakes, would that seem less like "food" to your mum? Wish you both good luck and health.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was in hospital some time ago my weight dropped dramatically and I was basically given vitamins on drip but they also prescribed an energy/nutrition drink which I'd had before. It wasn't the best tasting thing but Ok if it was chilled. I had it on prescription until I regained my weight. Sorry I can't remember what it was called but any doctor or pharmacist should be able to advise you. Also, you could try a health shop but avoid the 'training/muscle boosting' type drinks.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I know someone who has just got out of hospital, He has lost a lot of weight and half his stomch doesn't work so he has been prescribed 'Ensure Plus' drinks to gain weight. It is available without prescription though. Or there is always good old Complan.

I have little appetite most days but can often manage an omelette or soup - chicken or Baxters Royal Game seem to go down well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    diablo wrote: »
    I know someone who has just got out of hospital, He has lost a lot of weight and half his stomch doesn't work so he has been prescribed 'Ensure Plus' drinks to gain weight. It is available without prescription though. Or there is always good old Complan.

That's the kind of thing I was hoping to hear. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    AdamClelandAdamCleland Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doner Kebab with Chips and Mayonnaise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Karis, if shes on TPN they will adjust the levels of all the nutrients based on her blood results so she will be getting a tailored meal in the bag. I think the medics want her to eat as its best to keep the digestive tract moving even if only a little. I found on TPN my appetite was suppressed because all my nutrition needs were met by the contents of the feed, as some has already suggested, Ensure Plus is liquid and maybe easier to consume for your mum. I did find that I had a real hankering for risotto when I was on TPN, it was easily digested, tasty and nourishing, maybe something along these lines would tempt your mum?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    halfacrown wrote: »
    Hi Karis, if shes on TPN they will adjust the levels of all the nutrients based on her blood results so she will be getting a tailored meal in the bag. I think the medics want her to eat as its best to keep the digestive tract moving even if only a little. I found on TPN my appetite was suppressed because all my nutrition needs were met by the contents of the feed, as some has already suggested, Ensure Plus is liquid and maybe easier to consume for your mum. I did find that I had a real hankering for risotto when I was on TPN, it was easily digested, tasty and nourishing, maybe something along these lines would tempt your mum?

She isn't on TPN (it's a long story caused by a huge amount of utter incompetence) although she should be.

I'm going to sort things out on Friday, but I'm going to try her on some milkshakes with Ensure Plus in, etc...

Thanks for this advice, though. Very helpful.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doner Kebab with Chips and Mayonnaise.

I supposed that is classed as healthy on your diet
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Put her on green juice till she heals up. Shoving carbs and dead meat isn't going to help. Buy a juicer and put in lemon, celery , Parsly, ginger, spinach, kale and coriander. Its important to get those natural foods in her system. That will clean her body up if she stays on it and give alot of energy. that's what I would do if I had any disease. The drip is there to alkalize her body so obviously it's important to drink something like squeezed lemons in water in the morning.

Id stay away from dairy since its the worst offender of the lymphatic system.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I supposed that is classed as healthy on your diet

The OP wanted foods with max "energy" i.e. calories. The Doner, chips and mayo is one of the most calorie-filled foods that I can think of too!

Other stuff could be chocolate, crisps, salami, advocado...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    She isn't on TPN (it's a long story caused by a huge amount of utter incompetence) although she should be.

I'm going to sort things out on Friday, but I'm going to try her on some milkshakes with Ensure Plus in, etc...

Thanks for this advice, though. Very helpful.

Good luck for tomorrow, hope things improve for your mum and that the Ensure are helping :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Sambda wrote: »
    The OP wanted foods with max "energy" i.e. calories. The Doner, chips and mayo is one of the most calorie-filled foods that I can think of too!

Other stuff could be chocolate, crisps, salami, advocado...

Why would you shove food down a sick person is totally beyond me. If you are not absorbing obviously the digestive system needs healing. Natural foods heal so give the digestive system a rest and just give it the green juices. Sometimes we eat to solve our problems but need to learn not when to eat.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    YakLouis wrote: »
    Why would you shove food down a sick person is totally beyond me. If you are not absorbing obviously the digestive system needs healing. Natural foods heal so give the digestive system a rest and just give it the green juices. Sometimes we eat to solve our problems but need to learn not when to eat.

Personally, I think the OP should listen to the doctors. But he/she seemed to think they had gone beyond that.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YakLouis wrote: »

I agree. If you're poorly and can hardly eat, and presumably haven't eaten much in a while, your system will be very delicate. Eating tiny portions of very very tasty natural things is what's needed, things that won't upset the system, but will give a bit of pleasure and get your body used to eating again.

I think natural fruit juices & smoothies could be good. Possibly really nice poached eggs, or some nice smooth vegetable soups.